L3.49 for the ViP211 receivers

Hello everybody. This my first time reply, so be gentle. After reading these comments and problems I decided to hook up my 211 by HDMI cable after 6-8 months to see if it works. Guess what no picture. I tried rebooting several times and just a black screen. Now this makes me mad. We pay for faulty equipment and on top of that we get no obtions from the provider. We pay and pay and pay, sure we can watch via component cables but the reason we want HDMI is that is should be the better technology. I t has been almost a year they have said the software upgrades will address the problem or fix them. Any idea what to do? Will a call to CSR change things. Remember this problem is not new. Will they ever get the right fix? Should they continue to sell/rent a faulty piece of equipment?

Hello everybody. This my first time reply, so be gentle. After reading these comments and problems I decided to hook up my 211 by HDMI cable after 6-8 months to see if it works. Guess what no picture. I tried rebooting several times and just a black screen. Now this makes me mad. We pay for faulty equipment and on top of that we get no obtions from the provider. We pay and pay and pay, sure we can watch via component cables but the reason we want HDMI is that is should be the better technology. I t has been almost a year they have said the software upgrades will address the problem or fix them. Any idea what to do? Will a call to CSR change things. Remember this problem is not new. Will they ever get the right fix? Should they continue to sell/rent a faulty piece of equipment?

Yes, the problem is not new and it's been over a year that HDMI port has not worked for some. With this last software update they manage to break my HDMI port and I HAD NEVER HAD any problems before with HDMI. I guess they're getting really good at breaking things. :(

Well now it's BKB1.

PID: 08BFh, ID: WXTC, FW: BKB1, Model: ViP211
Wed Aug 22 16:09:48 2007

Upgrading FW:
'BKB1': 'AAA1'- 'BKB0' 'L040'- 'L430'
'NONE': 'AAA1'- 'BKB0' 'L040'- 'L430'
'1113': '1[01]1[A-D0-2]'
'AAA1'- 'BKB1' 'L040'- 'L430'
New FW:'BKB1'
List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs:
'1[01]1[A-D0-3]' 'RA[CDFGJKMPRTV-Z][A-DJ]'
List of Serial Numbers:
[167]

My question is why they are naming the software like this BKA1 and BKB1. We noticed the same for the 722s.

Can you please kill post#104 ?

That's GAMMA software notation, usually it spooling for small group of outside testers. I would say to those ppl who close to real customer, then to developers.

Can you please kill post#104 ?

That's GAMMA software notation, usually it spooling for small group of outside testers. I would say to those ppl who close to real customer, then to developers.

How do we know when it's going to the customers and when it's going to just the GAMMA group?

When you'll see more reports you'll recognize them. First sign - those unusual version nembers. Remember - production SW are xxxP, Pxxx, Lxxx, Mxxx.

Got it. What about the one for the 722s today, it had some weird name? Could it be that they will change their name formatting?

Just wanted to update that I'm still getting the "snowy" screen with L3.49. But I found a quick fix, I just unplug the HDMI cable in the back of the TV and plug it back in. No need to reboot the receiver anymore and wait.

That's odd.

I see this out there for the 211s:

PID: 08B3h, ID: 1AAC, FW: L349, Model: ViP211/ViP211
PID: 08B0h, ID: 1BAC, FW: L430, Model: ViP211
PID: 08BFh, ID: X2TC, FW: BKC1, Model: ViP211

Also from the Tech. Portal:
Current Software : L3.49 8/14, L4.30 8/16

But the only issue with the L3.49 is the snowy screen issue which is a pain so I will be glad when the next update comes out. If your using HDMI you might start seeing this when you get the L3.49 so be ready.

But the only issue with the L3.49 is the snowy screen issue which is a pain so I will be glad when the next update comes out. If your using HDMI you might start seeing this when you get the L3.49 so be ready.

No kidding! It's happening every day now for me. I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in and brings back the video. At least I don't have to reboot the receiver anymore to get it back.

I think L3.45 is the only one of those that ever went widespread.

I have one at L3.45, and two at L4.30, but I'm not using HDMI with any of them (actually, I use HDMI->DVI with one). None of them give me any problems.

Hmm. Also from the Tech Portal:

Previous Software : L3.44, L3.45 7/13

So receivers with L3.45 should have either L3.49 or L4.30.

L3.45 went Full Phase in July but then L3.49 and L4.30 should've updated the 211s:

7/16/2007: 1036 Software Version L3.45 for ViP 211/DISH 411

Effective Tuesday, July 13th, Engineering has spooled the FULL PHASE of software version L3.45 for the ViP 211/DISH 411 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.
At this time L3.45 will be the valid software version for the ViP 211/DISH 411.

Edit: After digging a little more, the dishnetwork site has L3.45 as current software.

DISH Network -- Support -- Technical

Last edited:
Well my 211 is on 349 and I still dont have HDMI. I've just about given up. I'm afraid if I call Dish, i'll just the get the typical its a software issue blah blah. Oh i'm on my second 211 as well.

I should note HDMI never worked for me out of the box. They just said there was a problem with the software.

Another thing to check is that your receiver has the latest software and tweaks.

I was having black screen and other HDMI problems and when I looked on AVSForum for my receiver, lo and behold there was a software fix for the problem there - not a 622 problem at all.

No kidding! It's happening every day now for me. I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in and brings back the video. At least I don't have to reboot the receiver anymore to get it back.

I just got my HDTV back from the shop and I'm having the snowy screen problem with my ViP211 and L4.30. Since I really don't want to unplug the HDMI all the time, in part because of possible wear and tear on the cable and the plugs, I'll just use component for the time being.

Boy, I hope they fix this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts