L4.41 Software

Someone call.... what's the harm ?? Only a limited # of customers have rec'd the necessary update and of those, how many have external drives hooked up ?? Worst they can do is tell you "the ordering software hasn't been updated to add this yet".

so far so good

Love the new Groups feature...that was the main thing I missed after switching over from D*....

Hooked up my ethernet, ran through the broadband setup, and boom...no more phone needed...

Hooked up my Seagate 750GB, it immediately told me it needed to be formatted, which it did. Took about 2 mins. After it rebooted, there were menu items for the Manage Device and Send to device under USB Storage in the DVR menu...of course when I clicked on either, it gave me the pop-up that said "TO manage this device, it must be activated...please call blah blah"

I'm stoked for the 15th...

L441 killed my HDMI connection, just like L409 did (came back when they reverted to L405).

HDMI test shows HDMI enabled on the Dish STB side = FALSE. I've tried a couple of hard reboots but it won't flip back to TRUE.

TV is an older Samsung TSN3084WHD (DVI input).

Any suggestions?
-- KEENE

My guess is that your TV may not be HDCP compliant. Check with Samsung.

It seems to me then that it would be fair game to give them a call and see what happens. I know, I know, we are supposed to wait till the 15th, but someone should be a guinea pig and see what happens when you call about it.:hungry:

OK, I did it. Only because there is a message in the new screen saver that says to hook up a USB 2.0 device to extend your recordings.

Tech came on and I explained I have a 787 error that says to call in and have the feature turned on.

Put me on hold for a long time and returned and told me the feature can not be turned on until 8/15....

My guess is that your TV may not be HDCP compliant. Check with Samsung.

Manual says it is...

"By inputting a high-bandwidth Digital Content Protection high-definition picture source to the
DIGITAL INPUT jack on the TV, high-definition pictures can be displayed on the screen in
their digital forms. (This DIGITAL INPUT jack is for use in the future when High-bandwidth
Digital Content Protection DTV decoders, DVD players and D-VHS are put on the market.)"

...and I've never had any problem before this software upgrade...?
-- KEENE

OK, I did it. Only because there is a message in the new screen saver that says to hook up a USB 2.0 device to extend your recordings.

Tech came on and I explained I have a 787 error that says to call in and have the feature turned on.

Put me on hold for a long time and returned and told me the feature can not be turned on until 8/15....

I'm glad you did that. I was thinking of doing it but now I will wait. It won't kill me to wait a few days more. I am so glad we finally have this feature. I've been wanting this since my $1000 921.

And like others have said, it is going to be smart for them business-wise. I can't see switching when once I have a bunch of shows archived.

Anyway, thanks Dish!

I called early in the morning and at that point they were lost. Didn't know what I was talking about. Around noon I got the not until 8/15.

Don't know why they can't activate now, what happens on the 15th?

Has anyone noticed that Dish is apparently taking advantage of some "advertising space"?

The inactivity "screen saver" now shows information on PPV, hints and tips, and other Dish related news! Great marketing on their part, but I'll miss the pretty floating Dish logo. :D

Spence

Not very smart of Dish to advertise calling about a feature that they don't want anyone calling about until the 15th tho'

I like the grups feature, but I don't like the groups feature.

I wish you could set it to group, yet also sort it by the time it was DVRed.

That way your latest recordings are on top (and if its in a folder have the folder move in the list to the last DVRed item)

just thought i would letyou know ordered pay per view off ethernet no problem also have broadband in preferences and in system info i now have hdd icon

So, when are the rest of us going to get this upgrade?
Ya think? :D

Then again, maybe the ones who haven't got L441 yet are the lucky ones and will stay at L405 until L442 (or whatever fixes the spontaneous reboots) is released. Unless I am the only one experiencing spontaneous reboots which happen randomly for no reason. I went to PPV history a while ago, pressed cancel, the box locked up for a few seconds then rebooted. That's the second, maybe third, unexpected reboot today (Good thing Monk comes on again at 11. :D ). Not counting the reboot after formatting my external USB drive that I can't activate yet. I don't remember what I was doing the other times but it was something similarly benign.

I haven't seen it reboot yet just by leaving it alone, I'll try to refrain from fiddling with anything whilst recordings are in progress.

I sent a bug report to the email address they used for L40x testing, maybe they are still reading those. I am glad to see the fixed a couple of things that were broken in L409, the switch summary shows five positions again is the one I can think of.

So... why in the world does it need to reboot after formatting the external drive? Their build of linux is not smart enough to correctly mount a storage device that wasn't present at boot time maybe?

If they get this right, I guess I shall have to change my signature in a few days. But I will still chide them about it not being free :)

Last edited:
So... why in the world does it need to reboot after formatting the external drive? Their build of linux is not smart enough to correctly mount a storage device that wasn't present at boot time maybe?
There's NO reason it needs to reboot. Linux can certainly mount a drive that it's just formatted. Hell, Windows can too !

If you choose to group, can you choose to ungroup? I'm hesitant to push that button till somebody tells me I can change it back.

It looks simple and self-explanatory, which is why I'm afraid of it. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)