L6.15, any thing new

I reported that to them. Not sure whether it is software related or something else. They are looking into that also.

S~

I'll troubleshoot it this afternoon and will report back. I'll also check the 211 and the TV's tuners to see if they're all doing it. I'm sure the problem is with the new software update but we'll check.

Sorry, too terse of a post.

- San Francisco market, the origin market it was reported on.
- FOX and ABC, the only channesl I ever experienced drop outs.
- Satellite-Delivered, it never occurred with OTA.
- Delayed/recorded, never occurred during live.

The new pixelations now only seem to occur on, you guessed it, FOX and ABC; although I haven't checked this on other channels extensively yet. In addition, I'm going to be looking to see if the pixelations only occur during delayed/recorded (like the original audio problem), or on live also.

I had someone with L615 record the 11am ABC S.F. local news and the Noon KTVU Fox local news, both of which are in HD, satellite-delivered and play it back . They just reported that they did not see any pixelation (and all the static screens that would have caused audio dropouts in L614 did not cause any audio problems at all).

So, are you sure you weren't actually watching an OTA recording ?

So the folder function is just like it is on the Internal 622 Drive?

It only groups same named recordings? Because that doesn't really do what I want. I want to be able to put movies in one folder, TV in another, etc etc.

I had someone with L615 record the 11am ABC S.F. local news and the Noon KTVU Fox local news, both of which are in HD, satellite-delivered and play it back . They just reported that they did not see any pixelation (and all the static screens that would have caused audio dropouts in L614 did not cause any audio problems at all).

So, are you sure you weren't actually watching an OTA recording ?

I had four pixelations during last nights KTVU 10:00 news and two during KGO 11:00 news. The pixelations were quite severe; more than I've ever seen before. The whole screnn was filled with small macro blocks and lasted for seven to ten seconds. During the pixelation the audio was just fine.

It couldn't have been OTA because I no longer have OTA hooked up.

I had four pixelations during last nights KTVU 10:00 news and two during KGO 11:00 news. The pixelations were quite severe; more than I've ever seen before. The whole screnn was filled with small macro blocks and lasted for seven to ten seconds. During the pixelation the audio was just fine.

That's basically what I've been seeing, too. During a DVR'd program, there will be about a 5-10 second video lock/blocking, and the audio would be fine.

S~

I thought you said your pixelation was on OTA ?

Posting fast. Missed the OTA part of the post. No, my video locking/blocking/pixelating is off the Sat feed while audio stays stable. Happens once during a show for about 5-10 seconds and then the rest of the broadcast is fine.

S~

Posting fast. Missed the OTA part of the post. No, my video locking/blocking/pixelating is off the Sat feed while audio stays stable. Happens once during a show for about 5-10 seconds and then the rest of the broadcast is fine.

S~

To clarify, you say that you ONLY see the pixelation when first tuning to the channel ?

PS Did you report that to the Beta Test program ?

Did you happen to try hitting the 10 second replay button and seeing if the same pixelation occurred ?

( I ask because that helps pin down where the problem occurs in the process. )

Did you happen to try hitting the 10 second replay button and seeing if the same pixelation occurred ?

( I ask because that helps pin down where the problem occurs in the process. )

During the last of the four pixelations on KTVU 10:00 news I did hit the 10 second replay button a couple of times to back up before the pixelation, and when replayed, the pixelations re-occurred. The macro blocking pattern was slightly different, but was basically in the same place with the audio just fine as before (this made me think the vidio stream slightly corrupted instead of a data overrun/underrun).

I didn't try this again, but now that someone has asked, I will do this experiment again when (if) I get more pixelations.

BTW: I forgot to add that this re-pixelation was somewhere during the weather high temp graphic, in case this info help.

Last edited:
Yep, it was removed. I wonder if it wasn't ready to be spooled to all receivers.
Lucky me....

This, folks, is a perfect reason not to want the latest software update as soon as it's released.

Oddly (RandallA, can you answer this ?), did this update go to ALL receivers from the get-go vs the usual "phased" release ?

Lucky me....

This, folks, is a perfect reason not to want the latest software update as soon as it's released.

Based on the fact that a grand total of 4 people report problems and they are 3 different situations (one OTA only, and the other three report problems in different situations and different channels from each other), and other people report no problems, I would not jump to conclusions.

When a set of channels goes out due to uplink problems, there are dozens of people posting to complain. Statistically, it seems unlikely that there is a problem with so few complaints.

Generally, when a software upgrade goes through testing, and a problem is not found in testing, it is because the problem is with something unrelated.

For example, the Fox/ABC audio problem of L614 was not found in beta testing, because the problem fixed by L614 was with NBC/CBS video - just the opposite in two ways.

However, in this case, the two people report obvious problems with the same channels that were fixed. It seems highly unlikely that in-house testing and beta testing did not catch obvious problems with the same channels. But, it is very common human psychology to notice problems with something that they are now focused on.

For example, the common channel with all the pixelation reports is ABC in San Francisco. However, reading reports shows that ABC in San Francisco has been notorious for bursts of pixelation for well over a year - long before any of the recent software upgrades. In fact, one year ago, a DirecTV viewer commented:

Anyone else getting pixelation/breakup on KGO HD channel 7 in the Bay Area tonight. Seems to be specific to the broadcast, but figured I'd check here also to be safe

So, I doubt that there is a new problem with satellite-delivered locals.

OTA is another story - it seems that the OTA software is very sensitive, and each software upgrade is associated with numerous reports of improved or deteriorated OTA performance. So, we will need more time for more reports on L615 OTA.

Last edited:
Lucky me....

Oddly (RandallA, can you answer this ?), did this update go to ALL receivers from the get-go vs the usual "phased" release ?

No, it didn't go out to all receivers. They released it by zip codes and Smith posted the zip codes in the Software Updates thread.

"For example, the common channel with all the pixelation reports is ABC in San Francisco. However, reading reports shows that ABC in San Francisco has been notorious for bursts of pixelation for well over a year - long before any of the recent software upgrades."

I've had pixelation problems with KGO (ABC) before here in the Bay Area until one software update fixed it but now the problem is back. This time it's also affecting KNTV (channel 11), the tower is only 1.5 miles from my place, I can actually see it from the window.

The odd thing is that is only affecting the 722 receiver and not the 622. The 211 is also fine. I won't even troubleshoot it this time, I know it's the new update so I'll just wait until another update fixes the problem.

To clarify, you say that you ONLY see the pixelation when first tuning to the channel ?

PS Did you report that to the Beta Test program ?

No. It happens during the DVR playback. I rarely have any live problems unless the station has a problem, except for My58. I don't report to the beta group. I report directly to ...... Sorry, I can't say. I've had this particular software version for two weeks come Monday. I have had to hold off on any posting. I only started because others have started to receive the update.

S~

The odd thing is that is only affecting the 722 receiver and not the 622. The 211 is also fine. I won't even troubleshoot it this time, I know it's the new update so I'll just wait until another update fixes the problem.

I hope it only goes out to 722s then, as the updates often seem to introduce some new problem. :D

I hope it only goes out to 722s then, as the updates often seem to introduce some new problem. :D

The 622 also has L615 so I don't know what the deal is. The 3 receivers that I tested today are using diplexers for the satellite signal and the antenna, they also come from the same DPP44 switch and the same antenna. But only the 722 has the problem. I've rebooted the receiver and added the channels manually.

latest offer

Dish network south of the border

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)