labeling RG6

Status
Please reply by conversation.

red2grass

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
SF Bay Area
I am getting more and more RG6 runs to different rooms or different dishes and OTA antennas. I get to a point that I'd better label the cables otherwise very easily get confused with which one goes where. All I think of is to put a label at each end of an RG6 with a letter (A - Z). Just wondering anyone has good ideas what kind of good labeling material to use? Something cheap easy and long lasting.

I bought a 5 pack of multi-colored electrical tape. Use different combinations such as black/yellow or blue/red or blue/yellow (you get the idea) match and wrap each end - works great for me.
Bob

I have a Brothers P-Touch brand tape labeler from from Costco that I use. I have some on the trailer wiring and after about 2 years and 12,000 miles it still looks good. I folded the tape around the wires and put the sticky sides together - it was supposed to be temporary - but after two years, Aw Shucks!
For the satellite cable runs, on each end of cable, it has enough room to be very descriptive: "Primestar A = H to cable room", "Primestar A = V to cable room", "Cable 1 from cable room to Bldg. A", etc...

I had used the coloured tape, but after some time in the sun the colours faded to the point that the lines were hard to tell apart. Inside the house, the coloured tape works great. A chart listing the cables, their tape colours, their order where they exit the house and to what LNBF they go to solved the problem for me.
Beware... masking tape and magic marker is great for a short term solution, but over time the tape dries out and falls off.

I use duct tape and a sharpie. If it will be exposed to weather or handled frequently, clear packing tape on top.

I've used colored tape, but as noted, it fades in the sun. I've also used the black ty-wraps (uv-proof), putting the same number of tywraps on each end of the cable. Just don't mash the cable when you tighten the tywrap. Looks better if you cut off the loose ends.

Good Luck, Eric

Last edited:
I used packs of wiring labels. Not sure what they are called, looks like a little flip notepad that has pages and pages of labels that wrap around cabling and wires. A-Z and 0-9 on little lables that wrap around the cable, 3 letter/numbers per label, ex: A A A, 1 1 1 so you can use mutiple ones for lots of cables and combinations.

I just use a label maker and label them 1 through 16 then in my computer room where Ive got a board mounted with all my satellite switch's for the house I have a piece of paper pinned up that has currently what the numbered coax coincides with, ie motor, 97, 123, etc if I change anything I just edit the txt file and reprint.

In MDF room it's better have white board, as to regular changes in network and sat signals distribution. For outside cabling use black permanent ink pen - it works fine, make distinguish number of black rings, if it will discolored from one side other will still visible.

This seems to be the stuff I am looking for. Do you know where to get it?

I used packs of wiring labels. Not sure what they are called, looks like a little flip notepad that has pages and pages of labels that wrap around cabling and wires. A-Z and 0-9 on little lables that wrap around the cable, 3 letter/numbers per label, ex: A A A, 1 1 1 so you can use mutiple ones for lots of cables and combinations.

Yeah, maybe try what Smith P says. Honestly, I get mine from work, we have boxes of them in our central store area for our electricians to use. I use them for our network cabling in our data center and a few packs have come home with me.

multicolor electric tape is a good idea... but I use multicolor wireties... stick one at each end, and a few in the middle so that you can remember what is what when you do long runs all over the house.

I use colored zip ties - for example yellow = fta, red = ota, blue = living room, green = bedroom. I can then combine them and know what I got :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)