Lag when controlling DVR thru whole house HD receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rlanham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
I have 2-DVR's, and 3-HD receivers.

When I am in front of DVR box controlling it, everything works great.. NO lag on fast forward, skip, play etc.

When I try and control the DVR through an HD receiver box via whole house in another room, the lag is almost unuseable.

The picture and audio is fine no lag, it is just on the controls when you try and FF, pause, Rew, etc.

Hit the FF button, the picture freezes for 5 seconds, then you see the FF bar, and nothing happens for 15 seconds, and if you hit the FF button more times to increase the speed of the FF, forget about it... 20-seconds plus. Then when you hit play again it is 10-15 seconds before the picture starts again.

Anyone experience this? Is it just the nature of the whole house.

Rlanham said:
I have 2-DVR's, and 3-HD receivers.

When I am in front of DVR box controlling it, everything works great.. NO lag on fast forward, skip, play etc.

When I try and control the DVR through an HD receiver box via whole house in another room, the lag is almost unuseable.

The picture and audio is fine no lag, it is just on the controls when you try and FF, pause, Rew, etc.

Hit the FF button, the picture freezes for 5 seconds, then you see the FF bar, and nothing happens for 15 seconds, and if you hit the FF button more times to increase the speed of the FF, forget about it... 20-seconds plus. Then when you hit play again it is 10-15 seconds before the picture starts again.

Anyone experience this? Is it just the nature of the whole house.

I've had this issue as well. However I got the CE 3 weeks ago and have noticed 100% improvement! I'd say it's something that's being looked at

what are some of the details of the network / how the MRV is setup? I connect via the "unsupported" version via my own network and do not experience this.

Rlanham said:

Cutting Edge. Look it up and check it out. It's a risk when you download it though. There is a whole section dedicated to just the CE. I would pull a link for you but I'm on my phone

A little bit of lag is perfectly normal when controlling the dvr from another room with MRV. but nowhere near what you're experiencing.

I have a pretty bad lag on the fast forwarding, rewinding, etc, between my HR23s, but normal playback is perfect. Any idea when that CE fix will be implemented, not sure if they give testers an indication.

I am also experiencing this. I just had my system installed on Sun and Tuesday (10.5 hrs altogether for the installer to figure it out) I seem to have a H25, a H23, and a HR34. I do not know how they are interconnected. It seems the thing that took so long was getting the Whole Hose network setup. It ended up being extra splitters on the line keeping the receivers from talking to each other. This lag is annoying though and I am note sure if it is typical or should I have DirectTV come BACK out and address this issue?

Thanks

1. 10.5 hrs altogether for the installer to figure it out) LOL on that installer

2. NO, its not typical; get it fixed

I had a similar issue after my install. After 3 visits and multiple receivers, new lines, etc they finally discovered that it was because the original tech plugged the power inserter into a power strip instead of directly into the wall outlet.

I had a similar issue after my install. After 3 visits and multiple receivers, new lines, etc they finally discovered that it was because the original tech plugged the power inserter into a power strip instead of directly into the wall outlet.

Wait, my power inserted is without a doubt plugged in to a power bar, that's a no no? Really? And it would result in this type of outcome, I'd love to hear other people say the same thing, that would be great if my fix could be so easy, I'll try tonight.

Rockstead said:
Wait, my power inserted is without a doubt plugged in to a power bar, that's a no no? Really? And it would result in this type of outcome, I'd love to hear other people say the same thing, that would be great if my fix could be so easy, I'll try tonight.

Yes that is a no no. Causes voltage to vary and in turn cases crazy stuff to happen

Thanks for the suggestion but I saw no difference between having it plugged directly in to the socket vs the power bar.

?!?!?! does this solution come with a green marker to make your CDs sound better too??? :)

what about being plugged in to a UPS.. in theory that is making the power look smoother.

I definitely find my H25's to be a bit choppy on operations to the HR34...

and from a user interface point of view, find it crazy that the H25 can originate the order to record a show (on the HR34) but then can't manage the upcoming recordings.. ie. if I tell it to record the wrong thing.. you have to walk over to the HR34 to tell it you made a mistake, from what I see the H25 has no way to access the timers... seems rather half-baked.

?!?!?! does this solution come with a green marker to make your CDs sound better too??? :)

what about being plugged in to a UPS.. in theory that is making the power look smoother.

I definitely find my H25's to be a bit choppy on operations to the HR34...

and from a user interface point of view, find it crazy that the H25 can originate the order to record a show (on the HR34) but then can't manage the upcoming recordings.. ie. if I tell it to record the wrong thing.. you have to walk over to the HR34 to tell it you made a mistake, from what I see the H25 has no way to access the timers... seems rather half-baked.

No markers, but it did fix the issues I was having with the video freezing on the whole home dvr system.

I've had the same issues since day 1 of MRV. Hopefully, an upcoming software update will fix it. It is rather annoying, but I've learned to live with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)