Lagging HR34 follow up after call to DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaimeace

Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Texas
Called Directv and they confirmed that there is a known issue on the HR34 Genie boxes. Technician told me that Engineering attributes the lagging to a recent firmware upgrade. Said the slow HR34 issue is a problem that should be effecting everyone with a HR34 Genie box. Only solution right now is a new HR44 with a new two year commitment. When I told him I have been paying $7.99 for protection plan for over 2 years he told me that, "Directv protection plan does not cover known issues." He did say the Engineering team was working on a fix but that I would have to wait it out. So I told him that we basically pay for a Protection Plan that is worthless! When I asked what Directv was doing for customers he said 'nothing, we are working on issue and it will be addressed when it gets resolved.' I asked, any discounts? Said nope. I have been a Premier customer for over 2 years and I am not too pleased with the way Directv is treating their paying customers. Problem is Dish and TimeWarner are not better. Not a very happy Directv customer right now.

So if you're experiencing the exact same problem as a bunch of other people, what makes you think that you are so special to get better treatment than everyone else? Just deal with it and wait it out. It's a tv product, not an emergency surgeon. The protection plan covers material defects related to hardware, not software. Get over it.

So if you're experiencing the exact same problem as a bunch of other people, what makes you think that you are so special to get better treatment than everyone else? Just deal with it and wait it out. It's a tv product, not an emergency surgeon. The protection plan covers material defects related to hardware, not software. Get over it.

The OP was not asking for special treatment - just that DirecTV fix a problem of their making. If indeed the problem was isolated to older hardware, the OP was not out of line to request the new hardware since, I believe, is an entitlement under certain conditions with the premier protection plan (at least I keep getting emails offering me a free upgrade because I have the premier protection plan).

I feel for the OP and anyone else experiencing this issue and would call on DirecTV to at least provide the option to roll back to a working version of the firmware until the bug can be fixed.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

But it is NOT the software. The equipment is also NOT broken. The HR34 is just inferior.

. . . . roll back to a working version of the firmware until the bug can be fixed.

The HR34 been a bad performer since the get go. Even new out of the box, it was NOT as fast as my old HR24s. It ran on par with my HR21.

Reactions: ejb1980
Don't get your attitude. I pay nearly $200 /month for TV service from DirecTV. Yes, it is a luxury, not an emergency surgeon, but a luxury should not be a source of frustration. I've been dealing with the buggy HR34 as well. It makes no sense that the solution is to pay for an upgraded receiver and add a two year commitment just to enjoy the luxury we PAY FOR! I don't understand why a paying customer should just "get over it". We should expect our luxury to be a source of enjoyment, not frustration.

The HR34 been a bad performer since the get go. Even new out of the box, it was NOT as fast as my old HR24s. It ran on par with my HR21.
I knew it would happen, just took time ....
When the 34 came out it was GREAT, everyone loved it ...

Now it's Junk ?

It's been a bad performer since it came out, hardly. :biggrin

Thanks Mikew, I personally think that Jam3s must work for Directv. Like you Mikew I pay close to $200 a month and pay for MLB and NFL packages so although they may be luxuries we are paying a pretty penny to "just get over it". We also have options and if Directv is not going to live up to their end of the bargain and make their equipment right we can take our business elsewhere. If their software updates of firmware has caused our equipment to not work as expected they should make it right. When automakers find issues with their vehicles a recall is placed to make it right. People aren't told to "just get over it". Don't know what Jam3s's problem is but like you and others, I didn't like his attitude. Being that I am not in contract currently, I will be calling Dish and Time Warner to see what they have to offer.

Reactions: info411man
Called Directv and they confirmed that there is a known issue on the HR34 Genie boxes. Technician told me that Engineering attributes the lagging to a recent firmware upgrade. Said the slow HR34 issue is a problem that should be effecting everyone with a HR34 Genie box. Only solution right now is a new HR44 with a new two year commitment. When I told him I have been paying $7.99 for protection plan for over 2 years he told me that, "Directv protection plan does not cover known issues." He did say the Engineering team was working on a fix but that I would have to wait it out. So I told him that we basically pay for a Protection Plan that is worthless! When I asked what Directv was doing for customers he said 'nothing, we are working on issue and it will be addressed when it gets resolved.' I asked, any discounts? Said nope. I have been a Premier customer for over 2 years and I am not too pleased with the way Directv is treating their paying customers. Problem is Dish and TimeWarner are not better. Not a very happy Directv customer right now.

Simple, just drop DirecTv and just go off-air tv only. No need for protection plan, no monthly programing charges and finally no buggy or slow equipment. It's just that simple!. My goodness!!

So I told him that we basically pay for a Protection Plan that is worthless!
For many the protection plan isn't a great value if you don't get a chance to use it. Insurance has always been (and will probably remain) that way. The idea that you save big money on upgrades is something they want you to believe but at around $100/year, you're not saving versus paying the lease entry fee outright when you've decided you can't stand it anymore. Either way you've dropped $200 and you are rewarded with a 24 month commitment.

Use the clear my box code. That has been a great tool for curing my HR34's worthlessness.

I knew it would happen, just took time ....
When the 34 came out it was GREAT, everyone loved it ...

Now it's Junk ?

It's been a bad performer since it came out, hardly. :biggrin
There's a difference between features and performance.

Look back and you'll see many threads stating that their HR34 was slower than their older HR24.

There's a difference between features and performance.

Look back and you'll see many threads stating that their HR34 was slower than their older HR24.
Many loved the 34, many didn't ...

I for one never got a 34, matter of fact, I didn't get into the genie till the 44 came out.

Like I said, you'll find people that love thier 34 and have no issues with it, while other have nothing but trouble.

Fwiw, thats the way it is with most recvrs ... some are great and others are not so great ...

Right now people are saying the 44 is the best thing since sliced bread ....

Once the next great recvr comes out you'll see people complaining about the 44 .

I came close on many occasions to getting the HR34 after it first came & before the 44 was around. I think if it wasn't for the fact that I didn't already have SWM at the time I'd be using a 34 right now. Then after the 44 was out I was glad I held off. As I like the small sleek design much better and the fact that it's just as fast as my 24 it's all I need in a receiver.

The HR34 has always been lagging for us. I don't think it's just a recent software update because it's been hanging since day one. It doesn't do it all the time but enough to be a pain.

The HR34 has always been lagging for us. I don't think it's just a recent software update because it's been hanging since day one. It doesn't do it all the time but enough to be a pain.

It's annoying that fanboys and Directv don't believe us and consider the junk known as HR34 the same as a HR44.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)