Land Line woes

neurorip

Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
Tampa, FL
I've read the forums regarding land lines and it seems some have it installed without a land line. I've called and they definitely insist I must have a land line. I don't want to spend 25 bucks a month on a new land line when all I use is my cell.

Has anyone have any verified options to get around this? Voice over IP or the like? The last salesperson even mentioned a wireless landline. I'm not sure if she meant cordless phone or what.

I want Voom BAD... any help?

Thanks,

Dave

nothing offical, but i have had my voom hooked up for about 2 months now and i have never had a land line plugged in to the box. I asked the installer about it and he said i would only need it for pay per view. Not that installers know anything, but i have never had a service interuption. So unless i get a call from voom or get my service cut off, im not plugging in a line to it.

My installer didn't plug in a line since I didn't have a jack near the TV. He said I should get a wireless phone jack solution that plugs into a power outlet and provides a phone dialtone from another nearby phone jack. That's probably what she was talking about. Still, you would need the phone line for that to work.

However, everything is working fine without the phone line connected so I see no need to connect it. I think when they introduce PPV it will be required for that but what if you never watch PPV? I say order it and install it and work without the line until they make you put it in.

I am using Vonage VOIP and it dials out OK. I have had a couple successful reportbacks.

I guess you could go ahead and install. If they ever enforce that policy, call and say uh I don't have a landline, I guess I have to cancel. They may just decide they value your business more than they worry about you being a pirate.

Btw, you did not hear this from me :)

Thanks for the advice. I was prepared to order a phone line since I wanted Voom that bad. However, if they ask, I'll tell them I'm waiting on a phone install and see what I get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)