Split ota line for local on bedroom tv's?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kentstater72

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
North of Toledo
Can I split yhee ota line(no diplexer) before it gets to the stb and receice local on my two bedroom tv's? Or is there a better way?
I do not want sat and only watch what is on the stb.

yes, this should pose no real problem, except that a splitter reduces the signal strength by a little more than half, so if you are on the fringe of getting your locals on the VOOM box, then the splitter may just drop them out of recieving range. A distribution amp should work, but would cost quite a bit more than the splitter you probably have laying around the house somewhere...

i use a splitter and have not noticed any decrease in signal strength. The signal strength is the same as it was on my hughes e86 with no splitter.

Well, different tuners rate signal strength differently, but any non-active splitter will reduce the signal strength. If your signal is already good enough to pull all the bits in, than after the splitter it may still be good enough for all the bits. It's areas on the fringe where the -4dB or so that a splitter throws in makes a difference.

yes different tuners have different scales. That is why as a test after I split it off I hooked up my old e86, I didnt see any difference in the strength from when it was a dedicated line. I agree on the fringe it might make a difference.