Status
Please reply by conversation.

lilexecutioner

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Chicago, IL
Hey Guys,

I am thinking of getting Directv as I am unhappy with my Uverse HD quality. I have had non pen mounts before on the roof, but my landlord wants it only on my porch. I will include pictures so you can see the porch and the railing. My only problem is I think the banister will get in the way of the signal. Can anyone take a look and see if its possible to get this done. I asked about attaching it to the porch or banister and that's a no go. I am in Chicago with zip code 60613 and looking to get the genie.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

First photo is where the dish will be, the stuff you see will be moved. Please note the banister. Second Pic is the southwest view.
IMG_1553.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg

Third pic is to give you an idea of the size. Sorry it was dark I had to lighten the image.
IMG_1555.JPG

It's hard to tell with pictures, but it sure looks like you have enough room for a non penetrating mount. If you have a smartphone, download the AR Satellite app. It will give you a good idea where the satellites are.

satbeams and dishpointer will for the locations of Directv sats. You have a lot of space to work with more than I do plus your railing is about 3' from the floor you should have a enough room to work with.

Dan Rose

In cases where there wasn't enough clearance from a patio/balcony from a standard non pen mount where say the rooftop was in the way to extend the height of a dish I have used a balcony mount pole instead of the center pole that normally comes with the non pen. It just involves drilling holes in the mast for the bolts to match the holes in the mast that comes with it but works great.

SIG

Hey Guys,

I am thinking of getting Directv as I am unhappy with my Uverse HD quality. I have had non pen mounts before on the roof, but my landlord wants it only on my porch. I will include pictures so you can see the porch and the railing. My only problem is I think the banister will get in the way of the signal. Can anyone take a look and see if its possible to get this done. I asked about attaching it to the porch or banister and that's a no go. I am in Chicago with zip code 60613 and looking to get the genie.

First photo is where the dish will be, the stuff you see will be moved. Please note the banister. Second Pic is the southwest view.
View attachment 95333
View attachment 95334

Third pic is to give you an idea of the size. Sorry it was dark I had to lighten the image.
View attachment 95335

Width of the balcony? Height of the railing? Distance between top of the railing and the roof over the balcony?

Hey Guys,

View attachment 95333
View attachment 95334

View attachment 95335

go to this site....http://www.dishpointer.com/....Key in your address with zip code.
Then, on the right side of the image, you'll see an ad for a free dish pointing app. Download it. Crouch down so your eye level is roughly three to 3.5 feet from the floor of the balcony. The phone app will show line of sight.
Oh, this is not exact. One thing is most of the signal hits the top 1/3rd of the antenna. With the dish pointing at almost 40* of elevation the roof over your balcony is a concern.

Thank you all for your help, due to the direction I was not able to go with DTV but I was successful with Dish, a bit sad as I wanted the real good HD from DTV. But hey its a slight bit better than Uverse.
IMG_1588.jpgIMG_1589.JPG

Dish isn't a bad choice, unless you are a Yankees fan like me!

Thank you all for your help, due to the direction I was not able to go with DTV but I was successful with Dish, a bit sad as I wanted the real good HD from DTV. But hey its a slight bit better than Uverse.
I would have stuck with UVerse then. A lot when I had UVerse, was the factor of how well the HDTV handled the signal and if the set was calibrated.

I have found that Direct has a lot of Black Crush, compared to UVerse. But at least you will not have Pixelation now during Confetti drops. That was the biggest reason that I detested watching any program, that caused the DVR to not handle a lot of data being fed into it.

Hopefully you got Dish to give you a decent deal. I have found that in our area, a lot of people are switching now, due to they cannot get any more promos out of ATT. I thought that ATT was going to give me a six month discount on the 25 meg Internet, but they never did.

Now for the same price that I was paying for UVerse for Internet & TV, I am saving some with Comcast for Internet, and DirecTV for TV.

Hopefully you do not have any kids in your neighborhood that like to throw rocks or shoot at the dishes & LNB's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)