Larger Remote available for Mercury II?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

then

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
My elderly parents have difficulty using the using the universal remote that came with their Mercury II. There are many small buttons, which they have difficulty reading. Sometimes they are unable to figure out how to get the system going after inadvertently pushing the wrong button.

Does anyone make a larger remote for the Merc II that would just turn the unit on/off, switch between TV/Radio, up/down channel and have a numeric keypad? I know my folks would surely appreciate it. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA.

dunno, would this work?

Maybe one of the universal or better yet, one of the learning remotes?
Just put what you want on it.
There may be inexpensive ones, but I do know there high-priced models with large touch-screen areas...

Similarly, I've seen some serious criticism of the new digital TV converter boxes, with their tiny remotes and tiny buttons.
There, you just buy a different brand receiver.
The Merc II is a nice receiver, so the learning or universal remote idea might be more attractive.

Just like ANOLE said one of the learning remotes with big buttons will work fine. Here are a couple that will work.

Attachments

• ff8080811419294f01141c86199c0199-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg
    ff8080811419294f01141c86199c0199-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 133
  • TekPartner3.gif
    TekPartner3.gif
    38.7 KB · Views: 175
Check out the WeemoteSr:
weemote® - Products
I used one for an elderly gentleman - worked well. I tried many different remotes before this one. It was $25 well spent!
see attached picture.
Bob

Attachments

• weemoteSr.jpg
    weemoteSr.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 178
Thanks for the leads on the remotes. The ones Sadoun sent thumbnails of will work with some boxes but not with most of the FTA units. I contacted Hy-Tek Manufacturing who makes those remotes and none that they make have learning capabilities. No joy!

But the folks who make the Weemote responded this way: "Our TV remotes are partially learnable and require that for basic operation that the embedded codes be used."

I answered a few questions they had about the Merc II and they replied this morning: "We sent off a request to our engineers to add this to our code list for our next 7.5 release, due out in August. Look for that in our online store around the middle of next month."

So, I'll wait and see.

Know of any other large button or simplified remotes that may work?

Thanks for letting us know and good luck with your search. If you find one that will work with the MERCURY II, let us know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)