Last & Next Movie Watched

Last: A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi

Next: Bridesmaids

Anyone notice some grain/noise at certain times in certain areas of the white in the sub scenes on Xmen? Ive seen it before in movies, just wondering if there is a product of film grain that causes this, where you see some grain in parts of white, but not really in other areas of the screen.

I dunno, Ive seen it in other flicks and it was grain. Im gonna buy it and see if any settings changes affect it. It was the indoor shots in the really white room, reminded me of grain I see in the sky in grainy shot films.

Im just trying to determine if its setting related, or just move related.

Last edited:
Ive read a couple of reviews that noted what I saw in certain areas, I think it was just the way it was shot. I also noticed the semi blurry scenes and was like WTF, but it was all intentional.

There’s a good amount of film grain present here from the original 35MM source (even after transfer to digital) although you’ll notice that not all the footage seems to have the same amount of film grain or in turn digital noise. In fact, it doesn’t really quite match up in terms of visual continuity either, as you’ll notice some shots appear a bit distorted at the sides or even sometimes top or bottom because of what I believe to be use of a spherical camera lense and the focus of the actual camera itself. What I’m referring to can be seen HERE. Notice how the faces of the cast members seem incredibly “soft” or almost out of focus? This can be a tiny bit bothersome at times and is quite honestly one reason this doesn’t earn a 100% perfect video quality rating. I know this was perhaps only the artistic intention of DP (director of photography) John Mathieson but it just doesn’t translate 100% perfect visually to Hi-Def. Still having said that, this offers one impressive Hi-Def visual experience, one with very minimal if any DNR (digital noise reduction), worthy of a “4.5 Star Rating” for overall video quality.

HighDefDiscNews » X-Men: First Class – Blu-ray Disc Review

Hehe. I think folks get used to movies filmed in HD, vs filmed on 35mm with grain. Then there is added grain and all that. Thor was filmed in HD, will be curious how it's PQ is.

A lot of films I end up really liking the look of, as being crisp, are found to have been shot in HD. Im either way on grain, dont really care, I just saw a few things in Xmen that confused me, like the blurring, but it appears all that was intentional.

True. Pq is a hard thing to review because there are two parts. How good does it compare to the original film, and how good does it look to you period. Obtrusive grain and intentional blurring bug me, but if that's what they wanted oh well.

I will say this, the final 20 minutes or so with the battle outside, looked extremely good.

Last: Thor

Great flick, very good AQ and PQ, though some of the "golden" filters were a bit much for me at times. I think overall, it's better than Xmen.

Next: Zombie Diaries ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts