Latest BUD Find,10.5 Solid CM & Venture 24" Act,Good Cond,3 Blocks from Home

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

skideric

Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Marianna,FL
Just thought i'd post about my latest BUD find.(Scarfed 10.5 Ft Mesh & nice 24" Act 2 weeks ago about 100 yds from back yard :D) Just riding around on Bike & spotted this BUD behind tall shrubs.Talked to homeowner & he actually asked how much would cost to remove!If i'd REALLY looked & realized it had the HUGE bracket/mount & HUGE pole/over pole (was little to anxious) i pob would have took some money! ;)
As most you know,it's NO EASY task getting these suckers home,much less re-installed.I first found one of these in a town about 8 Miles away.But my Girlfriend's helpers she suggested jumped the gun & took it down by themselves and of course BENT the hell out of inside pole! :mad:
So it still lays behind shed in backyard! Anyways i'll let the pics speak for themselves. Will try to get on here more often.Love this Forum,Thanks to ALL who contribute!

2013-04-01_17-30-03_565.jpg2013-04-02_10-45-54_920.jpg2013-04-01_17-26-33_711.jpg2013-04-01_17-26-10_14.jpg2013-04-01_17-25-21_446.jpg2013-04-01_17-26-55_668.jpg

That Venture actuator is like gold. Clean it up and check it out to see if it's a reed switch model or not. If not, contact Venture and they will probably sell a conversion kit to you. Those actuators are $250 brand new, and well worth it.

A 10' Channel Master is a great find! :up

Put the discussion of the bent dish in another thread, with pictures.
Replacing the feedhorn legs doesn't have to be a big deal.

Wow! You mean the Company that makes venture Actuators is still in Business? Try to check out ASAP.Have to get another Uniden receiver from storage.Don't have the remote for the 4500 i have here.But prob prog old Univ remote i guess.The 24" actuator i got with last 10' Mesh is NO SLOUCH either! Thanks for the replies.
BTW: Guess all noticed the BLACK tree/bush sap or whatever covering the dish.Would just a GOOD cleaning suffice? Or REALLY need to PAINT it? If so,would like to have input on best types of paint,tips& other info.Never painted a Dish.In fact,me & paint DON'T MIX!!:D

There are numerous threads on the forum dealing with cleaning and painting dishes in general, and those in particular.
I kinda like the look of it, but a broom and some soapy water might not hurt.
Unless the surface is coming apart, I might resist the urge to paint.

There are numerous threads on the forum dealing with cleaning and painting dishes in general, and those in particular.
I kinda like the look of it, but a broom and some soapy water might not hurt.
Unless the surface is coming apart, I might resist the urge to paint.

I think your right.Gonna try just cleaning her up real good & see how it goes. Thanks for post.

Nice condition it looks like. I would get one of those stiff-bristle garage push brooms and a bucket full of water with some dishwashing liquid in it and scrub it with that right where it sits. Rinse it with your garden hose when done. If you want it looking new after that, get a pint or two of exterior latex paint from your big box home improvement store. Never use gloss for the side that points to the sky. If you don't use flat, it can concentrate the heat of the sun so much that birds flying through the hot zone can fall dead and cooked.

A paint roller on a stick and a brush on a stick can keep you relatively free of paint on your clothes. But you might just be happy with a good cleaning.

I think the real work is going to be getting that mounted. With you living in hurricane alley, the mount has to be solid. I would be ready to aim the dish straight up when hurricanes are forecast. I'd probably want to tie it down with some stout ropes too.

When you do get it up, I predict NASA will approach you and ask for your help finding planets orbiting other stars.

Venture pics here.Went ahead & removed cover to check it out.I guess since it has a 2 wire sensor feed it will work with MOST receivers? Feel free to give me some input on this actuator.First i have had of this brand.Notice the pivots on the mount for actuator.They were froze up.But a 15" Crescent wrench & PB Blast cured that! ;)

View attachment 86570View attachment 86571View attachment 86572View attachment 86573View attachment 86574

Your pictures aren't working for me. Venture actuators are one of the best, and far superior to any Chinese new clone actuators. I have one on my 10 footer, and it's smooth, quiet, and runs well. I got it with the dish last year, and I bet mines at least 18 years old and still as good as the day it was built.

Re-Posting the Act Pics.Don't know what happened.They were there @ first then later just says "Attachment...."Dish will be mounted behind storage bldg & there are houses,trees,tall hedges,etc close by.So wind is not a big prob.My first 10' dish is by the road,not AS protected,still not in wide open though.But i still went minimum on concrete,had no probs.Had some pretty high winds here in last few months.Thanks for the cleaning/painting comments. ;)

2013-04-03_21-56-10_350.jpg2013-04-03_21-55-56_480.jpg2013-04-03_21-55-35_806.jpg2013-04-03_21-54-40_372.jpg2013-04-03_21-54-24_165.jpg

You might want to use a small brass wire brush, and maybe some sandpaper or Emery boards and such, and try to carefully scrape/clean off as much of that rust as you can on the metal parts inside the motor box of the actuator. If it's left, it'll continue to oxidize and that's not good. Get off as much as you can, but don't tear stuff apart to do so.

Once you get it cleaned up and the way you like it, and AFTER it's installed, wired, adjusted (instructions on ventures website: ( http://www.venturemfgco.com/admin/uploadfiles/image/file/setting-your-limit-switches.pdf ) and tested, screw the back of the case on, and dab some silicone bathtub caulk around the seal area where the wires come out. It'll protect it from water, but it's easy to come off if you ever have to change wires. The wires face the sky when motor arm is installed properly. There should also be condensate drip-slots on the bottom back of the case, and you do NOT want to seal those up, so watch out!

Every year or so, hit those knuckle-joints with some PB Blaster, or keep a thin layer of Mobil-1 oil on them. I also put a very thin layer of Mobil-1 on the parts of the tube that go in and out.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)