Latest & Greatest???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA_Chiefs_fan

Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I currently have an HR20-700 receiver. Is that the best HD DVR DirecTV has to offer? If not, what is the newest one and what am I missing? Thanks in advance for the info!

Tad

I too have HR20's but don't see a need to "upgrade" to the newer HR21/22/23. While there are benefits in the newer models, like larger hard drives or that they're black instead of silver, it's not enough to make me switch. I believe the HR23 also does away with the need for BBC's but since I switched to a SWM-8 a few weeks ago I'm already there. I do like having, and I do use, my built in OTA capability with my present receivers. It's not that DirecTV doesn't have locals but there are a few stations/channels not available through DirecTV and there are the occasional storms that knock out the sat signal. Not often but it happens. I know I could get an AM-21 to hook up with one of the newer models but again I don't need that right now. To some point I guess I chase the latest and greatest with my AV equipment but not to the point where I absolutely have to have the newest model and that's kind of where I'm at with my present HD DVR's. After the SWM upgrade I'm more focused on looking at other components like speakers, Blu-ray, etc., and I'll wait out on the HD DVR's for the time being until one breaks or I see a huge leap forward in technology.

Last edited:
Aside from the color and hard drive size, you wont gain anything (that I know of) by getting the newer models. In fact, you will lose internal OTA capability, although this is VERY easily fixed with the add on module (for that matter the hard drive issue can be easily fixed also). I guess it boils down to color (silver/black) more than anything

Edit: Just to add, I havent had the guide slowness with my HR-20s that some have had with the 21 and up. May have NOTHING to do with the model, and I may just be lucky, or they may be unlucky, just thought I would throw that out there

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)