Latest Roku 3 Firmware Update Causing ARC Problem With Home Theater System

rjruby

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Nazareth, PA
I have my HWS connected to an HDMI input on my Yamaha AVR along with a Sony Blu-Ray player, Roku 3 and TiVo Roamio OTA. The HDMI output of the AVR is connected to the HDMI1 (ARC) input on my Sharp 844U TV.

The AVR input is normally set to the HWS. I configured the TV (Aquos Link) and AVR to use CEC and ARC. I don't use CEC on the HWS.

The HWS remote is configured to control the TV so that I can just power on the TV with the remote and the TV will power on the AVR. The HWS is usually in standby mode so I just use SELECT on the remote to start watching my satellite programs.

At the end of last week, I started having problems with the setup. Either the TV would not power up the AVR or the TV would power up the AVR but would switch to the internal TV speakers and disable the ARC audio to the AVR.

After many cable swaps and setup changes in the TV and AVR the problem still existed. After researching the problem on the Internet I found one posting that indicated other devices connected to the AVR could be causing the problem.

Sure enough, after disconnecting the input devices on the AVR I discovered that the Roku 3 was the culprit. The firmware on the Roku 3 was upgraded on 4/14/16 to version 7.1.0, build 4062 which is the same timeframe in which the problem started.

Installed a http://www.lindy-usa.com/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-to-male-41232.html to the Roku's HDMI cable and the problem is gone.

You learn something new everyday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)