Law & Order: SVU

This is a shocker! This show was all but dead. It has mediocre ratings in the key demo and it is pretty much played out. But I guess TV wouldn't be TV without some form of Law & Order. Personally I would rather have had the flagship stay on the air than SVU. I have always viewed it as a poor imitation.

This is a shocker! This show was all but dead. It has mediocre ratings in the key demo and it is pretty much played out. But I guess TV wouldn't be TV without some form of Law & Order. Personally I would rather have had the flagship stay on the air than SVU. I have always viewed it as a poor imitation.

Must have cut the price down pretty cheap for the season. Probably will make most its money in syndication.

Since Donal Logue is on Fox's new show Gotham, what does this mean for his SVU character?
Executive producer Warren Leight says Wednesday's season finale will include "something like an exit" for Logue's ?Declan Murphy, but the door will be left open for him to return. ?But is Amaro on his way out too? I hear that Munch's return in the finale is related to Amaro's arrest —but even ?he may not be able to right all Amaro's wrongs.

Law & Order: SVU Boss on Amaro's Arrest, Benson's Baby Debate and the "Big Change" Ahead
Last month, Law & Order: SVU showrunner Warren Leight had to face the dilemma so many TV writers deal with when the flowers start blooming and upfronts near: write a season finale that leaves stories unresolved or write a season finale that can also serve as a series finale if the show is not renewed."I didn't want to make it too easy for the network," Leight tells TVGuide.com of his decision to go the former route. "I wasn't looking to drive to the edge of another abyss and dare them, but I also didn't want to sort of wrap everything up neatly with a bow so that people could end the show without any thought about it."Mission accomplished. NBC renewed SVU for its 16th season on May 7, which also marked the last day of shooting on the current season. "That's a much less bitter, drunken wrap party than it otherwise might have been," Leight says with a laugh.Instead of the jaw-dropping cliff-hangers of seasons past, such as when Cragen (Dann Florek) woke up with a dead hooker in his bed or when Benson (Mariska Hargitay) was taken hostage by a serial rapist, Leight says the Season 15 finale will give some closure to this season's ongoing story lines. "There were a lot of balls in play, a lot of plates spinning," he says. "So I felt that part of this year's finale was sticking the landing and making sure that a lot of the things we had going on came to at least a temporary and logical stopping point."In order to achieve that, SVU moved up the cliff-hanger intended for the last episode — in which Amaro (Danny Pino) is arrested after assaulting an acquitted sex offender — to the final moments of last week's episode. "All the anger he has towards his wife, all the anger he has towards guys who have gotten away with crimes, it all gets projected onto [Josh Malina's character] and he just snapped," Leight says. "We had little moments in this season where you saw these different guys under pressure. Three years into his job, he hasn't figured out how to deal with the stresses of SVU."Subsequently, Wednesday's season finale (9/8c, NBC) will pick up with Amaro behind bars and on the verge of losing his job. "What's hard for him is that there's not much he can do to save his job. He snapped, he beat somebody up," Leight says. "He broke the law and he's dispirited and imprisoned when we see him. He's not fighting to save himself the way he has in the past. At some point, Rollins visits him in prison and she says, 'People are trying to help you, but you got to take their hand.' Both Rollins and Munch do what they can to defend him because he's not really defending himself."Although the episode will feature the celebrated return of veteran squad member Munch (Richard Belzer), who served as Amaro's mentor before retiring earlier this season, most eyes will probably be on the scenes between Amaro and Rollins (Kelli Giddish) after the reveal two weeks ago that the two are — or should we say were? — sleeping together. "We didn't linger on it, but these things happen," Leight says of the surprise pairing.Leight defended the "Rollaro" pairing despite the negative reaction by some fans who were, as he says, "personally offended" by the story line after years of longing glances (and nothing more) between Benson and Stabler (Christopher Meloni). "I think they're both having a hard year and sometimes, there's a port in the storm, somebody else is having a bad year and you work together," he says. "Is it partners with benefits? Is it just blowing off steam? Do they care for each other more than we want to admit? We don't know too much of it."But obviously Amaro has much bigger problems to deal with at the moment. "If he gets a speeding ticket, he's off the force. He's basically as close to losing his job as you can possibly be," Leight says. "So if he survives it, it's not going to be any sort of a picnic for him."While Amaro waits to find out whether he needs to clean out his desk, Benson will also be dealing with a possible life change — becoming a mother — when baby boy Doe becomes in need (again) of a proper home. "It's a huge commitment and if you couple that with being a sergeant with unpredictable work hours and obviously, it's a riskier job than most jobs," Leight says. "In her heart, she wants to do it and she's worried about, 'Can I be a mother and continue in my job? ... Is there a way to find balance in your life? Can I be there for a child or a baby and what happens if I take this on and something happens to me?' Those are all very big questions that she'll be grappling with as next season goes on as well."This isn't the first brush Benson has had with motherhood. In Season 9, she revealed that she was turned down to adopt because she would be a single mother, and in Season 12, she was a foster mother to Vivian's son, Calvin, before Vivian sent him away. "She's been burned a couple of times and that's in the back of her mind too," Leight says. "There's always the self doubt. We all think she'd be a great mom, but you never know what you're in for until you get in there. There's nothing easy about parenting. Then being a single mom on top of that is extremely difficult."But despite going back and forth on the matter several times before, "in this episode she's forced to answer that question," Leight says.Although this season finale may not be as shocking as years past, with the questions surrounding Amaro's professional life and Benson's personal life, Leight teases that the last two scenes are not to be missed. "The audience will freak out in a way that they did at the end of last season," he says. "It's a different emotional response, but it's a big change coming."
Amaro and Rollins slept together :eek:;) Wish thuis would get rid of Amaro and bring Stabler since his show got cancelled back but won't happen!! ;) :)

Last edited:
Law & Order: SVU's Danny Pino on Wednesday's Big Reveal and the Drama's "New Voice"
[WARNING: The following contains spoilers from Wednesday's episode of Law & Order: SVU. Read at your own risk!]
Law & Order: SVU fans spent 12 seasons waiting for Benson (Mariska Hargitay) and Stabler (Christopher Meloni) to get together to no avail, but it took less than three for romance to ignite between two of the squad's other detectives."I had no idea until we walked into the read-through," Danny Pino tells TVGuide.com of the big reveal about Amaro and Rollins' affair. In the blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene, Rollins (Kelli Giddish) was watching a TV news interview with a high-profile child molestation suspect (played by Bradley Whitford) when Amaro suddenly emerged from her bathroom in nothing but a towel. In addition to eating "a few less cupcakes" in the days leading up to the revealing scene, Pino says he had to emotionally wrap his head around his character's unknown office romance."Warren Leight, our showrunner, said, 'There have been some slight changes to the script.' I had read the script prior to the read-through, so I wasn't quite sure as to what he was referring to," Pino recalls of the first read-through for Wednesday's episode. "A little bit of a rustle started in the room and I doubled back up the page. I started looking at the stage directions and saw that Rollins was not alone in her apartment. ... Needless to say I was caught by surprise."As were fans. The move is not just shocking for the recently downsized SVU squad, but in the grand scheme of the entire Law & Order franchise. The flagship and its many spin-offs have normally steered clear of such romantic entanglements, either by keeping the characters in a perennial will-they-or-won't-they state, a la Benson and Stabler, or by only exposing it after the fact, like when Jack McCoy's affair with Claire Kincaid came to light following her death. "I think we all know it's Season 15 of Law & Order: SVU and there's no reason to go small," Pino says. "I'm incredibly proud to be a part of a show that is not resting on its own legacy. It's a show that is, I feel, finding a new voice."Although it's a big step away from the Law & Order norm, the surprise plot twist is just the latest in a string of very serialized and very personal stories told by SVU this year. After Benson's battle with PTSD following her tango with William Lewis in the season premiere, Amaro shot and killed an unarmed teenager and Rollins almost lost her job, and her life, because of a crippling gambling addiction. "It's not even the same show that it was only three years ago," Pino says of SVU's evolution since he and Giddish joined in 2011. "People who watch the show are rewarded for really being able to track where a character's emotional state is from episode to episode. And yet, we don't sacrifice any of the law and the order of it all. I think the show is, creatively, in a fantastic place."

So what's next for Rollins and Amaro? Will anyone at work find out their secret? Pino teases all that and more below:
What did you think of that twist? Looking back did you see pieces of where it could have led to this?
Danny Pino: Absolutely, without question. I feel like the writers had been planting certain seeds throughout the season where it was more of an insinuation. This certainly solidified what these two characters had been going through. Both characters have been in search of companionship, in search of somebody or something that would make it feel like fulfillment of some sort. Certainly, Amaro losing his family and still [carrying a torch] for his wife, his difficulties at work, the obstacles that he's tried to overcome, and Rollins with her gambling addiction and her difficulties professionally — the two of them found each other both in need and so, to me, all of those dots do connect. Now, they didn't connect immediately while I was sitting there in the read-through. It was a very complicated, complex wave of realization, emotion, and embarrassment of not really knowing. I felt like most of the writers did know, so I was the one in the relationship and yet I didn't even know it. It was a highlight of the season certainly in terms of what went on in that read-through.

Will the viewers be able to figure out how long this has been going on or get more information about their relationship in the last two episodes of the season?
Pino: I think that there are breadcrumbs. Anyone who is interested will be able to pick up those breadcrumbs, but I think that is our writers' way of rewarding the fans who watch the show week in and week out and know what these characters have been going through, to give them some kind of a compass for what is happening behind the scenes.

There are potentially huge consequences for colleagues who sleep together. Will we see any of those consequences play out over the rest of the season? Will anyone in the squad find out?
Pino: I'll put it this way: It's not a regular run-of-the-mill, 9-to-5 job. It is a squad room full of inquisitive, instinctual detectives who have a nose for things being off. So what is happening behind the scenes may begin to pique certain characters' interests. But at the same time, you're dealing with a former undercover cop and a cop who's been undercover before in Amaro and Rollins, so they're pretty good at hiding as well. I think that is one of the things that I'm looking forward to in the coming episodes; to really find out whether it is ever revealed. I don't know whether it's ever revealed, but I do know that we have very smart detectives all around us. The smallest slip-up could blow the whole roof off of it.

Warren Leight has said that the season finale is a big episode for your character. What can you tease about what Amaro will be going through?
Pino: In the finale, Amaro stands to lose not only his family, but his career. And it could happen that quickly and that easily, and it's only his current friends and perhaps some very close friends from the past who he has to rely on to get him out of the situation.

So will Laura Benanti return for that episode?
Pino: Laura Benanti will be in the episode prior, in the penultimate episode.

It's been awhile since her character has been on the show. What can you say about Maria and Amaro's dynamic?
Pino: Amaro is hopeful. He's positive and he feels that he is going to be able to bring his family back under the same roof ultimately. He's resolved to make that happen. He's one of those people, and I feel like maybe a lot of us are, that when things are crumbling around you, all you want to do is restore where you find the most peace at all costs. That relationship with Maria and Zara, his daughter — they represent peace to him. ... Then again, he is not clear-eyed in his perception of what Maria's intentions are, which only leads to disappointment and for him to act out, which is what gets him in trouble in the finale.
It's been a big year for your character not only because of the family issues that he's been dealing with, but also because of the shooting. What kind of impact have these events had on Amaro?
Pino: Amaro, certainly from the beginning, is a cop who likes to dot his i's and cross his t's and do everything the right way. Shooting the unarmed teenager was a pivotal moment for him. It was an example of his not being able to control certain situations and his frustration in that. That has certainly caused a stress at work. It's driven his family away from him. He worked narcotics, and he was in the warrants bureau prior to coming to SVU. Narcotics, undercover, warrants — these are high-stress situations and he was able to maintain his family, and have some level of some happiness. It was only upon coming into SVU that things started to crumble around him personally. ... The things that he sees everyday and the conversations he has to have everyday with survivors, perpetrators, witnesses leave an indelible mark on him and I think that's what Maria sees which is why I think she wanted to leave and take their daughter with her.Amaro feels like he can keep all these balls in the air and that first ball that fell was shooting this teenager and after that, he lost his focus. He's really his worst enemy and the more he tries to stay above water, the more he struggles, the more he's actually harming himself. In the finale, it's ultimately the relationships that he has around him, the friendships he has within the squad room that save him.
Do you think he'll ever be able to get closure over the shooting?
Pino: I don't know if you ever get closure. I read a lot about police officers who shot unarmed victims, unarmed subjects and some of the things that I read were just after the shooting and then I was able to find some articles that interviewed these police officers several years after an incident and it's just not something you get over. That's what I love about our show. The bad guy doesn't always get put in prison. The survivor doesn't always get the help that he or she needs or deserves. A police officer doesn't always reconcile with his demons. ... How do you get over shooting an unarmed 14-year-old boy? How do you sugarcoat that? And you don't. It's a tough road back, if you ever get back. I think it's just the new normal for him and he's experiencing that and he's trying to figure that out, just like we all are.

Last edited:
That would be a plus...but I agree, it's not going to happen.

Law & Order: SVU Boss on Amaro's Arrest, Benson's Baby Debate and the "Big Change" Ahead
Last month, Law & Order: SVU showrunner Warren Leight had to face the dilemma so many TV writers deal with when the flowers start blooming and upfronts near: write a season finale that leaves stories unresolved or write a season finale that can also serve as a series finale if the show is not renewed."I didn't want to make it too easy for the network," Leight tells TVGuide.com of his decision to go the former route. "I wasn't looking to drive to the edge of another abyss and dare them, but I also didn't want to sort of wrap everything up neatly with a bow so that people could end the show without any thought about it."Mission accomplished. NBC renewed SVU for its 16th season on May 7, which also marked the last day of shooting on the current season. "That's a much less bitter, drunken wrap party than it otherwise might have been," Leight says with a laugh.Instead of the jaw-dropping cliff-hangers of seasons past, such as when Cragen (Dann Florek) woke up with a dead hooker in his bed or when Benson (Mariska Hargitay) was taken hostage by a serial rapist, Leight says the Season 15 finale will give some closure to this season's ongoing story lines. "There were a lot of balls in play, a lot of plates spinning," he says. "So I felt that part of this year's finale was sticking the landing and making sure that a lot of the things we had going on came to at least a temporary and logical stopping point."In order to achieve that, SVU moved up the cliff-hanger intended for the last episode — in which Amaro (Danny Pino) is arrested after assaulting an acquitted sex offender — to the final moments of last week's episode. "All the anger he has towards his wife, all the anger he has towards guys who have gotten away with crimes, it all gets projected onto [Josh Malina's character] and he just snapped," Leight says. "We had little moments in this season where you saw these different guys under pressure. Three years into his job, he hasn't figured out how to deal with the stresses of SVU."Subsequently, Wednesday's season finale (9/8c, NBC) will pick up with Amaro behind bars and on the verge of losing his job. "What's hard for him is that there's not much he can do to save his job. He snapped, he beat somebody up," Leight says. "He broke the law and he's dispirited and imprisoned when we see him. He's not fighting to save himself the way he has in the past. At some point, Rollins visits him in prison and she says, 'People are trying to help you, but you got to take their hand.' Both Rollins and Munch do what they can to defend him because he's not really defending himself."Although the episode will feature the celebrated return of veteran squad member Munch (Richard Belzer), who served as Amaro's mentor before retiring earlier this season, most eyes will probably be on the scenes between Amaro and Rollins (Kelli Giddish) after the reveal two weeks ago that the two are — or should we say were? — sleeping together. "We didn't linger on it, but these things happen," Leight says of the surprise pairing.Leight defended the "Rollaro" pairing despite the negative reaction by some fans who were, as he says, "personally offended" by the story line after years of longing glances (and nothing more) between Benson and Stabler (Christopher Meloni). "I think they're both having a hard year and sometimes, there's a port in the storm, somebody else is having a bad year and you work together," he says. "Is it partners with benefits? Is it just blowing off steam? Do they care for each other more than we want to admit? We don't know too much of it."But obviously Amaro has much bigger problems to deal with at the moment. "If he gets a speeding ticket, he's off the force. He's basically as close to losing his job as you can possibly be," Leight says. "So if he survives it, it's not going to be any sort of a picnic for him."While Amaro waits to find out whether he needs to clean out his desk, Benson will also be dealing with a possible life change — becoming a mother — when baby boy Doe becomes in need (again) of a proper home. "It's a huge commitment and if you couple that with being a sergeant with unpredictable work hours and obviously, it's a riskier job than most jobs," Leight says. "In her heart, she wants to do it and she's worried about, 'Can I be a mother and continue in my job? ... Is there a way to find balance in your life? Can I be there for a child or a baby and what happens if I take this on and something happens to me?' Those are all very big questions that she'll be grappling with as next season goes on as well."This isn't the first brush Benson has had with motherhood. In Season 9, she revealed that she was turned down to adopt because she would be a single mother, and in Season 12, she was a foster mother to Vivian's son, Calvin, before Vivian sent him away. "She's been burned a couple of times and that's in the back of her mind too," Leight says. "There's always the self doubt. We all think she'd be a great mom, but you never know what you're in for until you get in there. There's nothing easy about parenting. Then being a single mom on top of that is extremely difficult."But despite going back and forth on the matter several times before, "in this episode she's forced to answer that question," Leight says.Although this season finale may not be as shocking as years past, with the questions surrounding Amaro's professional life and Benson's personal life, Leight teases that the last two scenes are not to be missed. "The audience will freak out in a way that they did at the end of last season," he says. "It's a different emotional response, but it's a big change coming."
Amaro and Rollins slept together :eek:;) Wish thuis would get rid of Amaro and bring Stabler since his show got cancelled back but won't happen!! ;) :)

I've actually been watching this flanker since L&O and L&O: CI went off the air (although I was never a fan of CI). In fact, I've though of starting a discussion thread for this show but I didn't think anyone other than I was watching. We'll have to start one up in the Fall. ;)

I'm surprised Capt. Cragan left the show, although it was probably a move to cut salaries and bring-in some fresh blood (i.e., Lt. Murhpy). I'm also glad to see Amaro leave the show since I wasn't a fan, and he can take Rollins (the Dixie Martin impostor) with him.

Prefer the original

(but 20 years was quite a run!)
Never really cared for (nor watched) SVU nor CI.
Amazed SVU has lasted so long.
Guess they should be proud. :up ;)

It was good season finale and Executive producer Warren Leight says Wednesday's season finale will include "something like an exit" for Logue's ?Declan Murphy, but the door will be left open for him to return. ?But is Amaro on his way out too? I hear that Munch's return in the finale is related to Amaro's arrest —but even ?he may not be able to right all Amaro's wrongs. !! :)

I've actually been watching this flanker since L&O and L&O: CI went off the air (although I was never a fan of CI). In fact, I've though of starting a discussion thread for this show but I didn't think anyone other than I was watching. We'll have to start one up in the Fall. ;)

I watched the show and enjoyed it with the originals stars and once they left it got stale!! imo!! :)

I'm surprised Capt. Cragan left the show, although it was probably a move to cut salaries and bring-in some fresh blood (i.e., Lt. Murhpy). I'm also glad to see Amaro leave the show since I wasn't a fan, and he can take Rollins (the Dixie Martin impostor) with him.

Like Munch, Cragen has been a key figure in the world of "Law & Order" since the beginning. He was the original captain on the flagship series when it debuted in 1990, and he's appeared in more than 400 episodes of the franchise.While Cragen will be missed, Leight said he had to retire to stay true to how the NYPD works in real life. The police force has a mandatory retirement age of 63."Cragen knows at some point in the season or by the end of the season, he will have hit mandatory retirement, so he'll have to figure out when that moment is. We're playing that anxiety that the Captain is leaving at some point," Leight said in October.....More on it here why he left the show https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-tv...rek-leaving--law---order--svu--180403641.html

[SERIES][SERIESWRAP1][EPISODENAME]Law & Order: Special Victims Unit[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]1999-09-20[/RELEASE]

Creator: [SERIESAUTH]Dick Wolf[/SERIESAUTH]

Cast: [ACTOR]Mariska Hargitay[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ice-T[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Richard Belzer[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Michaela McManus[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Robert Newman[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Paget Brewster[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Paget Brewster[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Brenda Blethyn[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Danny Pino[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Kelli Giddish[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Lindsay Pulsipher[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Quincy Dunn-Baker[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Sharon Stone[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ann-Margret[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Paul Wesley[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Paul Wesley[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Dann Florek[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Raúl Esparza[/ACTOR]

Overview: [PLOT]Law & Order: Special Victims Unit is an American police procedural crime drama television series set in New York City, where it is also primarily produced. In the style of the original Law & Order, episodes are often "ripped from the headlines" or loosely based on real crimes that have received media attention.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP1][TVPOSTER1]
tsxiLPFlpNlJaMFlKIFqffGkiJt.jpg
[/TVPOSTER1][/SERIES]

Law & Order: SVU Season 16 First Look: Meet Olivia Benson's New Protégé
Law & Order SVU Season 16
law-and-order-benson.jpg

It’s never easy being the new guy on the team — a fact Peter Scanavino‘s character will learn the hard way when Law & Order: SVU returns next month.TVLine has an exclusive first look at the NBC procedural’s Season 16 squad, which includes guest star Scanavino (Person of Interest, The Blacklist) as Detective Dominick “Sonny” Carisi, Jr., newly assigned to Manhattan SVU after a few months working in other boroughs’ special victims units. Olivia will reluctantly take him under her wing and help him learn the ropes.Detective Carisi is introduced on the season premiere, which also finds Olivia juggling work with her new life as a foster mother to Noah. Things become especially harrowing when Detective Amaro’s undercover work involves people connected to Noah’s mother, putting Olivia’s new baby in danger.
Law & Order: SVU returns Wednesday, Sept. 24, at 9/8c on NBC.
SVU fans, check out our first look group shot here...
law-and-order-svu.jpg
http://tvline.com/2014/08/19/law-and-order-svu-season-16-spoilers-new-detective-first-photo/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts