Leaky DiSEqC Switch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah, it is too bad about the stupid trees, but apparently my neighbor is a privacy nut. We trimmed them last summer and even then he himmed and haw'ed about what we trimmed. but we had to it was BAD and pine tree branches drapped over and even touched cars in the driveway, what a sappy mess.

As for the elevation thing, I adjusted the elevation and skew the best I could to get the 45% average I got. Being a SC dish is nice because you can just use a rachet to adjsut the elevation, makes it ALOT easier.

When I first found it, I had hardly nothing until I tweaked the dish skew and then I got a higher signal and then re-blind scanned it and got alot more TPs.

It's interesting tho. I'm watching Inside Tiawan atm.

Cheers!

Being a SC dish is nice because you can just use a rachet to adjsut the elevation, makes it ALOT easier.

I wish other dishes would do the same thing :)
I have a SC dish and a Primestar and both have ratchet elevation adjustments :)

Last edited:
Good 'ol Channelmaster. They use the ratchet elevation adjustment on the 1 meter dish as well. It's great! No having to hold the dish in place while you loosen the screws on either side, just take a socket wrench and gently set your elevation!

icstephen said:
moesy2k said:
Unfortunately, I have no 75 Ohm Terminators, but if you guys feel this might help, I could probably get some.QUOTE]

Just an fyi if you need some in a pinch some of the home depot's stock them in the antenna section of the electrical department.

I have seen them made with coax connectors & 75 ohm carbon resistors . Install the resister in the connector w/ the body of the resistor inside the connector . This helps center everything .

One lead of the resistor will be sticking out the back of the connector . Bend this around and solder to the body of the connector .

The other lead of the resister will be sticking out the front of the connector . Cut this lead to about the same length as is normal for the center conductor of coax .

If it was to be used outside , you could probably squirt some silicone rubber in the back .

Wyr

JohnH said:
Be advised that some cheap DiSEqC switches do have an isolation problem.

That's true and using terminators will likely not solve this problem as it's a problem with the design of the switch. If you are having these problem with your switch the only real solution is to get a new (and different brand) switch. All this other stuff will just be a waist of time and resources. Anyway, the other connections on your DiSEqC switch are inputs. On inputs you really don't need terminators and they will probably make no difference at all. If fact I don't even know if it would be advisable to use terminators on the unused inputs of a diseqc switch. it probably wouldn't hurt anything but it wouldn't serve any purpose either. Terminators are usually used on the unused outputs of multiswitches with multiple outputs or the unused outputs of distribution amplifiers with multiple outputs. leaving those outputs unterminated can cause reflections back into the output stages of the amplifier which can have undesireable effects. on the inputs of a diseqc switch that shouldn't be an issue. For keeping water out you should be able to get little rubber caps that fit over unused connectors. I know the channel master multiswitches that I use alot of come with little rubber caps that go over the unused connectors.

Yeah, the DiSCeQ switch I have cost me a whole $8 CDN, i t's a Digiwave. My old boss sells them at his store, altho he knows nothing about satellite stuff, he sells it anyways. which is good because I can get wholesale prices from him, so I'm not complaining. :)

I figure I might just buy another switch rather than trying to return this one to him. Cut my losses, $8 ain't worth the time.

For the moment, the starchoice multiswitch is working just great for my purpose until I decide to add another dish. Still got another starchoice dish here with no lnb (A friend borrowed the dish and broke the plastic Lmb mount for the original SC lnb so atm, I have a useless lnbf but can use them of the ones on the dish now ever die), but notice a standard DSS style lnbf will fit just nicely, just gotta drill a hole to bolt it to the arm.

Who knows. Might even pick up a universal style lmbf and a mounting bracket. It's all good tho.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)