leasing, is there an authorization form that must be signed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kemo46

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Texas
I am about to lease a home, it is NOT an apartment, it is a house. Does direct TV require an authorization form to be signed by the owner before they will install? I have the owners permission, i just want to get the form signed early before installation if required since she will be out of state.

My first question is how would I the installer know if it was rented or leased unless you said something?

Second, OTARD rulings say no.
A permission slip is not needed to mount a dish anywhere on rented property as long as it is not in a common area.
This goes for house apartments etc. (there is a little more to it, but that sums it up).

That being said, different companies my adhere their installers to different rules and require a permission slip but again I ask, "How would the installer know that you didn't own the property?"

On Dish Network for example, if you order online, it asks if the installation is at a home or apartment AND asks if YOU ARE THE OWNER. I did not know if Direct asks that question online or if the installer asks that question. I am not trying to get around anything since i have the owners permission, i just want to get the form signed prior to installation to avoid any delays since she lives out of state.

Thank you.

Again, if on Dish networks online form, how would they know if you are not the owner unless you tell them you are not?

When somebody hands me a permission slip, I don't even look at it and hand it right back to them.
I tell them to keep it for their protection as I do not need it.

Now, again, I do not work for every installation company out there, I only work for mine, and only can tell you that mine does not care.
But if you keep your mouth shut about leasing, it will never come up.

I know you are not trying to get around anything, could really care less if you were since the federal law is on your side.

If this answer is not suitable, and it is apparently no trouble to get a permission slip, then just get it but it won't be necessary for any company if you just keep your mouth shut or say you own the house if asked.

To add, the ONLY time I seek permission is when I am at an apartment/condo area where it is obvious that they don't own the property and I have to mount it in a common area and don't see any other dishes in a common area.

Otherwise, if I see dishes up, I just follow what the other techs did.

A permission slip is not needed to mount a dish anywhere on rented property as long as it is not in a common area.
This goes for house apartments etc. (there is a little more to it, but that sums it up).

I do not know the rules but this does not sound 100% correct. I can't see the rules allowing you to attach a dish to the owners property without their permission. I would be really ticked off if a person leasing my house mounted a dish on the roof without my permission. I can only see the rules impacting if the dish is not mounted to any of the property.

You can't go wrong getting written permission from a landlord...to protect yourself. We have a pre-work checklist that the customer signs off on... detailing dish placement, cable routing, etc. It is our attempt to reduce our liability. If property owner decides to drag people into court for what he perceives as an infringement on his rights all the signed consent forms in the world won't stop him. Proper documentation MAY prevent him from gaining anything from his action, but it will still wind up being a PIA and possibly expensive for all involved. I try not to put a customer in a position that will result in him/her being in a bind. The laws provide for people having access to signal but bucking HOAs and multi family dwelling managers is usually not a good idea. When someone runs a stop sign and kills you-you will end up being judged in the right-DEAD right.

My understanding of otard rules in this matter is this. landlord cant tell you "NO" but has full control over where it going to be installed which means they can tell you to point it off a north facing wall just to be an ass.

Also, if you HAVE the paper work that they signed OK'ing the install, you have recourse if they come back at a later date.

My first question is how would I the installer know if it was rented or leased unless you said something?

That being said, different companies my adhere their installers to different rules and require a permission slip but again I ask, "How would the installer know that you didn't own the property?"

You need to read the OTARD rules.

Since he is renting the homeowner can say no dish on the house then you're screwed. OTARD cant protect you from that.

The wise renters ask 1st. Often are told by homeowner pole mount only. I've had the renter making a quick call to the homeowner result in some custom charge income. Renter is out some $ but is happy he hasn't p. off the owner...owner appreciates renter's consideration...of cour$e I'm OK w/it. I never mind leaving the ladder on the truck.

You also need to make sure the lease has a section that outlines the approval process and parameters of the this install type. My rental properties leases do. And it is protection for BOTH parties.

As a landlord, I can tell you it's always wise to get everything about anything in writing. Saves a lot of hassle for both tenant and landlord down the road.

ALWAYS get the owners permission first. Find out what is acceptable to the landlord, such as roof mounting and wall/floor penetrations if that applies. Very few landlords will turn you down, and if in that event, discuss the OTARD regulations with them.

Whether you wanted it signed is your business. A DirecTV installer will not require it.

they didn't check with me about anything during my install. the owner of the house had an older D* dish already mounted, so I guess the installer just figured it was okay to remove that one and put the slimline in the same spot

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts