Leaving this forum.... Thanks, Sean

Geno

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
I just want to say thanks and Adios to all those on this forum. Since the addition of ESPN, VOOM is pretty much complete for me. I still hope for scifi, but can wait patiently. Thanks very much to Sean for his hard work in helping myself and so many others here.

With my programming thirst satisfied, I am leaving in no small part because of the viruses that I get emailed daily, and are somehow tied to being a forum member. Thanks to Norton for catching them, but it's still annoying. These virus emails are clearly generic in nature, but come from clearly bogus aliased email address taken from this forum. I have even recieved virus laden emails from Sean and Wilt's email addresses (clearly not sent from them). I also am pretty sure my email address has been used to send some as I have gotten some "failed delivery" messages regarding messages I never sent.

Anyway, I've sure enjoyed the forum and have tried to contribute when I could. I'll linger a few days, and may occaisionally observe as an unregistered guest, but my member status will likely end at the end of the week.

Thanks and good luck to all! GO VOOM !

Geno,
just to make it clear. Leaving this forum will do practically nothing to stopping spam reaching your email mailbox.

I have not received any viruses to date related to this forum or others. Any anyone else like Geno?

No Viruses here. And they are not coming from the forum or the server.

Also all your information (like email addresses) are kept safe and are not shared, given or sold to anyone.

We take pride in safeguarding your information. As we hate Spam as well.

Geno:

Are you also a member of the Yahoo group? If so, that's the cause of the problem. I may be wrong, but I don't think Wilt even posts here. Has to be coming from Yahoo. I know I went from zero garbage to 10-15 daily immediately upon joining the Yahoo group.

ricks said:
Geno:

Are you also a member of the Yahoo group? If so, that's the cause of the problem. I may be wrong, but I don't think Wilt even posts here. Has to be coming from Yahoo. I know I went from zero garbage to 10-15 daily immediately upon joining the Yahoo group.

! yaaa. see i am getting a lot of spam too on my yahoo account. and now i think its cause i joined the yahoo thing. i am leaving the group right now then.

babyj said:
! yaaa. see i am getting a lot of spam too on my yahoo account. and now i think its cause i joined the yahoo thing. i am leaving the group right now then.

babyj,
your email address is already "out there" available to all spamers. Leaving the yahoo group will not change the situation.

Are sure it's spam and not the posts from the group? I ask because the default is for all posts to be sent to your e-mail address of choice. You can change that in your profile to not send e-mails.

I do not how each one is setup here but if you just come here sign in (not to get the ads) the likelyhood of getting virus and spams email decreases. If you use the email subscription of any service, you will get them. I am tired of them and it is why I do not use my personal email account. Good luck Geno and stop by from time to time as VOOM will be changing in the next few months even more.

mine all came from the yahoo group. spam jumped right up within a day of joining the yahoo group.

Geno said:
I just want to say thanks and Adios to all those on this forum. Since the addition of ESPN, VOOM is pretty much complete for me. I still hope for scifi, but can wait patiently. Thanks very much to Sean for his hard work in helping myself and so many others here.

With my programming thirst satisfied, I am leaving in no small part because of the viruses that I get emailed daily, and are somehow tied to being a forum member. Thanks to Norton for catching them, but it's still annoying. These virus emails are clearly generic in nature, but come from clearly bogus aliased email address taken from this forum. I have even recieved virus laden emails from Sean and Wilt's email addresses (clearly not sent from them). I also am pretty sure my email address has been used to send some as I have gotten some "failed delivery" messages regarding messages I never sent.

Anyway, I've sure enjoyed the forum and have tried to contribute when I could. I'll linger a few days, and may occaisionally observe as an unregistered guest, but my member status will likely end at the end of the week.

Thanks and good luck to all! GO VOOM !

What????? how could you leave the forum? It does nothing for you. you will still get all the e-mail and other problems. just change your e-mail address and your probems will end. your e-mail address is out there now and anyone can send stuff to you who can get it. I have no problems with virus e-mails, so I know it isn't from here.

It's not the forum that is your problem, Geno. I have been a posting member for about a month and I have received no emails from anyone on this board, real or malicious. I can say, however, that I have never signed up for the yahoo board, for the simple reason that I stay away from signing up on major portals since advetising to there customers is a major part of their business.

ricks said:
Geno:

You have a great point. It could well be the yahoo group. I'm leaving that one as well.

I didn't mean to start a riot here. I'm not pissed or anything. I just don't have much to offer anymore, and don't really need support anymore so I thought I'd just get out of the way. When it gets to a point that the only time you consider posting is when somebody (GRIN) pisses you off, it's time to go. And I didn't mean to suggest that Sat guys had anything to do with virus emails. This is the best forum I've ever joined and got much benefit from it. It's just that it's one more place to have somebody snag my email address. Changing my address is a major pain because I use it in business also. I may do that but it'll be after I clear out of all the forums I'm in now. So good bye also to Corvette, Camaro, Astronomy, Halo 2, & Spongebob forums.

Best of luck to all....

Geno,
just to make sure that you fully understand the problem. You will be receiving spam and viruses regardless of your participation in those forums. I bet that the amount of spam will not decrease significantly (if at all) after you are gone.

andrzej said:
Geno,
just to make sure that you fully understand the problem. You will be receiving spam and viruses regardless of your participation in those forums. I bet that the amount of spam will not decrease significantly (if at all) after you are gone.

That's very clear to me, and you may well be 100% right, but as I stated before, it's not the only reason I'm leaving. If the virus emails continue, I'll change my email address, and start anew.

GO VOOM!

Geno said:
You have a great point. It could well be the yahoo group. I'm leaving that one as well...
Geno, it is the Yahoo group for sure. SatelliteGuys forum doesn't expose email addresses, while Yahoo does. Email addresses are exposed with each posting there.

What computer viruses do these days, they steal all email addresses they can find on an infected computer and then they send junk and infected emails to all of these addresses. They also replace the "From" field with one of the valid email addresses from the same stolen list, so you would think it came from a known person.

So, if one of the Yahoo Group subscribers who receives group posts via email gets a virus infection, this virus starts sending emails to all email addresses found on that computer while replacing the FROM field with a random name/address from the stolen list. Unfortunately, canceling your subscription will not eliminate the risk of getting that kind of emails. Your email address is already present on hundreds or thousands of computers and can be stolen by another virus in the future. Only changing the email address can possibly help.

I am explaining this just to clarify your problem. And to explain everyone that the membership in this forum should not be causing it. I understand you may have other reasons to leave this forum. That's up to you. We'll miss you though!

I think I understand Geno a bit. He wants to leave the forum so he can spend all his time watching VOOM. :)

Sounds like a plan to me. :D

I am sure though when VOOM has a problem, a software update or Geno has a question he will be back. :)

And we will be here from him. :D

Have fun watching TV Geno!

Geno,

Mel's sending them. lol

Seriously, or as serious as we ever get, I changed my preferences on the Yahoo group so that I'd stop getting the emails about each post, and I stopped getting the virus attacks.

I also heard on CNBC that this past weekend, a new virus got circulated, so you might be seeing something from that. My conspiracy theory is that the companies that sell antivirus software send some out on their own to keep people buying their product.

JimP said:
Geno,

Mel's sending them. lol

Seriously, or as serious as we ever get, I changed my preferences on the Yahoo group so that I'd stop getting the emails about each post, and I stopped getting the virus attacks.

I also heard on CNBC that this past weekend, a new virus got circulated, so you might be seeing something from that. My conspiracy theory is that the companies that sell antivirus software send some out on their own to keep people buying their product.

Changing to the digest mode won't do anything to stop it. I've always been on digest and I'm getting slaughtered with the stuff. It's an open group. Anyone can get to the email addresses and cull them for whatever purpose they choose. Conversely, I've been a member of a moderated group on Yahoo that requires admittance. Been there for years and never had a significant problem with spam or virus emails. Joining the Voom Yahoo group opened up the floodgates. I was stupid not to set up an alias email address before joining the thing. And, it's essentially useless to boot - except for the updates from Wilt. :no

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think I understand Geno a bit. He wants to leave the forum so he can spend all his time watching VOOM. :)

Sounds like a plan to me. :D

I am sure though when VOOM has a problem, a software update or Geno has a question he will be back. :)

And we will be here from him. :D

Have fun watching TV Geno!

From JimP: Geno,

Mel's sending them. lol

You guys are toooo much. Your not much help to a guy trying to break an addiction, though. Maybe I'll just sneek a peek at he office and stop checking in every night in my bedroom. Damn, sounds like a kid with Playboy magazines! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts