leaving voom and just adding 811, but I got some DishHD ?'s

elite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Hi all..

After being with dish for a few years I decided to give voom a try. I kept my DN simply because of the PVR and its still somewhat cheap and I just have SD TV in my other room. I've had both Sats for a while, but after spending 65 a month for voom and HBO I've decided its not worth keeping without a PVR

So, after alot of bitching I got DN to give me a 811 to replace my 301, and Ill keep my PVR that I have not, it does the job and for free...I cant complain. So, ill in turn cut my TV bill from 100 plus, to 1/2 that even if I get hbo on DN - and then Ill have it in boths rooms so its fine for now.

I just didnt take advantage of the 40 channels, most are fluff, nothing you would watch on a regular basis - without DVR its whatever......its got alonggg way to go, maybe someday Ill go back but for now the price in DN is right.

SO few questions about the 811 -

1- I watch leno/american idol/some other local channels - im guessing I should have NO trouble receiving these channels correct?
2 - If I DONT order the 9.95 HD pack Ill still get HBO-HD if I have HBO correct - as well local HD programming?
3 - How is the quality of the 811HD and sound Q using digital out?
4 - one thing I noticed is that SD channels are ALOT better on voom vs, my dish....im hoping this is due to the DVI or component connection that NOW my 811 will offer, will you agree?

Well thats all I can think of for now - For free this decision makes sense and since I mostly watch nbc/abc/cbs/fox HD stuff it was a no-brainer.

Lastly - i see people posting about an additional dish needed to get some local cbs or something - whats that all about, i was a bit confused on that!

Thanks for the help in advance - I may later have some connection questions if I buy a dual tuner regular PVR so i can record 2 things at once. (just for my SD tv in my bedroom)

I think this year things will evolve - Its taking a long time but well get there - someday well laugh that things were in standard definition hehe :)

1- I watch leno/american idol/some other local channels - im guessing I should have NO trouble receiving these channels correct?

>>> ARe you talking about in HD? if that is the case it depends on if you can get the channels with an Antenna (OTA). You can watch them through Dish locals if your areas has them, but they will not be in HD. Only local in HD on Dish is CBS-HD. YOu must meet qualifications to get it. Check dishnetwork.com for quals.

2 - If I DONT order the 9.95 HD pack Ill still get HBO-HD if I have HBO correct - as well local HD programming?
Yes you will get HBO-HD. HD locals are through OTA.

3 - How is the quality of the 811HD and sound Q using digital out?
I am happy with the PQ from my 811 hooked up to my 60" Sony GWII. HD looks great, SD is not bad considering the conditions.

4 - one thing I noticed is that SD channels are ALOT better on voom vs, my dish....im hoping this is due to the DVI or component connection that NOW my 811 will offer, will you agree

Hard to say.. this is a Mileage my vary especially SD locals with Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)