LED, Plasma, or 3-D

songkrai

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
New England
Hello experts, and those that should be.

Yes, there is a 3-D section on this forum.

No, I don't have an unlimited budget.

Looking for opinions.

I'm going to be purchasing a larger TV sometime this year. Somewhere around a 50+ inch. I have no home theatre setup. Might or maybe put in a soundbar or a 5.1 sometime into the future - but nothing presently.

Retail stores.

Looking at televisions I see Plasma pricing going way down. LED pricing coming down. And 3-D TV's just hitting the retail stores. 3-D's require glasses.

I viewed one of the first Plasma TV's at around $6,000.00 at some electronics store. I watched the LED's grow from 15" and constantly get larger and larger.

Now I read about 3-D TV.

My question is:

Which TV technology do you think is the best bang for the buck?

Will almost all TV's sold in retail stores be 3-D in the future. Will Plasma and LED be "old" technology soon?

And will a special or new DVD player be necessary to watch 3-D movies? If cable or satellite - will a different receiver box be necessary for 3-D?

Thanks.

If you have the budget, the Panasonic VT25 is the best 2D and 3D TV this year. If you do not care about 3D at this point, it's still the best 2D set, and you are future proofed.

And as far as Plasma and LED LCD go, they are both fine for the future, and after owning an LED, I prefer plasma. Panasonic also makes a DMP-350 BR player that does 3D well (you'll need a 3D BR player), and Directv has a couple of 3D channels.

By all industry accounts, 3D is here to stay.

Your kind of getting confused of what type of tv and what a tv can do. Plasma and LED LCD can both do 3D. Will it succeed? JUry is still out and will be for some time. The technology needs a lot of work IMO. You will need a 3D enabled blu ray player to watch 3D along with a 3D enabled tv or projector. Satellite boxes use it's original receivers and have enabled 3D through firmware updates.
This probably does need to be moved to the 3D forums.

Yes, I gave serious thought on placing this on the 3-D section.

But this is more about a new TV - Plasma, LCD, LED, and 3-D. And what most are using now or most would buy if they were buying now.

I don't necessarily need the newest and latest technology just for bragging rights.

I'd really like to know what TV you would purchase if you (or anyone) were going to purchase a TV presently. And why.

Thanks for the input.

VT25

Conclusions
The Panasonic TC-P50VT25 breaks new ground in the reduction of motion lag and in black level for currently available plasmas. Even without its 3D features, it is an outstanding set. Whether you buy it for its 3D capabilities or consider them a bonus, they aren’t likely to disappoint if you love 3D in the theater and want to bring the experience home. Panasonic does plasma and 3D right.

http://hometheatermag.com/3d-flat-panels/panasonic_viera_tc-p50vt25_plasma_3d_hdtv/http://hometheatermag.com/3d-flat-panels/panasonic_viera_tc-p50vt25_plasma_3d_hdtv/

Panasonic Plasma or Samsung Plasma. Either one is a good buy. Samsung's are known for more accurate colors while the Panny's will have deeper blacks. Both make good panels.

Just remember, there is no such thing as LED TV. As mentioned above, there is LED lighting for some LCD TVs. I read that plasma is better for 3D than LCD, for certain inherent reasons.

New Tv

Indeed, plasma is definitely the way to go. Plasmas cost less than LCDs and deliver a superior picture, as well. The Panasonic VT series plasmas have been consistantly rated as the best HDTVs on the market. And, yes, there is no such thing as an LED TV. It is simply an LCD that uses LEDs for the backlighting in place of using flourescents. :D

Skip 3D unless you get a big screen. It's pointless on a small screen that barely fills any of your field of view. Not to mention the artifacts, lower brightness, ridiculous glasses (and their prices), etc. It's a niche product at best.

For someone with a very large screen I can see 3D being an option, ie the Mitsubishi large DLPs or a projector setup. But for someone who will sit 12 feet back with a 50" set it's pointless. Too many negatives and not enough positives. I've demo'd a few of these sets (at a big box store and more recently at a local high end distributor during a calibration class) and none of them have convinced me that they are worth any extra money. If anything, they should be cheaper.

It's far from niche, and I think you let some internal feeling against 3D cloud your judgement. VT25 owners, in 58 and 65", speak very well of the 3D content on THAT set.

I bought one of these a few months ago and it is awesome....first plasma I've owned and the picture is out of this world. Had a 42 inch Samsung DLP prior to this.

Panasonic TC-P50G25

I was trying to decided between it and the sammy now only one choice:)

Look at both site by side...

Thats what I did... The Panasonic 3D look great anywhere I stood and looked at it, while the samsung only looked best when you were in the center of the screen.

Thats how I made my choice, and its one I am glad I made... its an amazing TV!

elwaylite said:
It's far from niche, and I think you let some internal feeling against 3D cloud your judgement. VT25 owners, in 58 and 65", speak very well of the 3D content on THAT set.

Internal is right. Made me very nauseous!!
I do not people on here or AVS craving 3D like hd. Not even close.

I wouldn't call it an internal feeling at all. I'd call it an educated opinion. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts