Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I got one of these yesterday to replace my SurfacePro 1st generation. Unfortunately it turned out to be a great box with some glaring errors in design imo. :(

The Yoga 3 Pro is a 13.3" screen ultra-light, ultra-light laptop. It is just feather light to carry, amazing! The keyboard is fine and folds back to make it a tablet which is a big plus. The screen is 13.3" and is QHD, which is a super high resolution screen. Looks beautiful for many things, but text type apps are a PITA to view as the typeface is so tiny. I'm sure that is adjustable somewhere, but I didn't get that far.

It has the new Intel Core M processor and therein lies the first issue. This is a chip designed to allow for fanless designs which is good, but the machine is very laggy because of it. I noticed that very quickly. And the screen doesn't support better stylii for note taking. Those two issues meant it went back to the store!

In the end, I just got a Surface Pro 3, i5/256Gb SSD/8Gb RAM and it performs better and not only supports a great stylus, it even comes with one.

I debated for the last 3 days on getting the Surface Pro 3 i5. I just couldn't justify the price when I have a very good i7 desktop and 17in i7 laptop along with the 8in Dell Venue Pro. I think the 12in Surface Pro would be great for reviewing the hundreds of PDF reports I go through a week, but not at a $1000 price tag. A good sale price might tempt me though. :)

It would be nice if they came out with a non-pro version of the SP3 and fill that somewhat lower price point.

One thing I didn't mention was that in the lap as a tablet, the 13.3" Yoga 3 felt too big to me while the 12" SP3 just seems nearly perfect.