Let down of DirecTV - front page sat guys

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wouldn't say that, I've had it 5 years since buying my house, never one service call, only a few reboots of the modem, and very rare down time. Even stays on when power goes out.

No offense, but you are only one guy, one customer account.

I own a computer repair business. I have dealt with hundreds of customers over the years both residential clients and businesses. When DSL works, it is fine, and often cheaper than cable. But a lot of customers have a lot of problems with DSL. It is more problematic by far than cable. I wasn't saying every customer had problems with DSL. I'll pick on Verizon specifically becuase I deal with them all the time. They have a lot of DSL problems. That is just a fact. A higher percentage than cable for sure. Now, enter fiber optics. FIOS is less prone to problems, which means less dealing with their crappy support and billing credits. Believe me, I will be signing up for FIOS for Internet when it comes for sure. I'll probably have it as a secondary for redundancy of my business account with Roadrunner and see how things go. As far as TV, I am hoping DirecTV steps it up and adds more channels, especially premiums, Fox News HD, Travel Channel HD, and AMC HD. If they don't, I'll end up switching to Verizon eventually probably. I am beginning to realize DirecTV is really geared towards die hard sports fans and they don't seem to intend on expanding on that. And that is fine, if that is the niche they want. God knows there are enough sports fans out there. Me, I am happy with my local sports teams and I get those games with anybody.

Hmm. those anti-DSL comments almost fly in the face of nearly every comment and / or article of study I have read over the last half decade. I wonder if your customers might be part of their own DSL issues and not the service itself or the method of deliver (aka DSL)? I would love to see a 2007/08 report of actual reliability studies as opposed to hearsay reactions that generally come as a result of misplaced bitterness or confusion by end users.

In my many years of IT and network experience I have seen far more reliability and outage related issues with cable delivery vs DSL.

DSL does need a "speed boost" as it were and an expansion of sorts into areas not typically served; where cable has the only means of HS access.

Hmm. those anti-DSL comments almost fly in the face of nearly every comment and / or article of study I have read over the last half decade. I wonder if your customers might be part of their own DSL issues and not the service itself or the method of deliver (aka DSL)? I would love to see a 2007/08 report of actual reliability studies as opposed to hearsay reactions that generally come as a result of misplaced bitterness or confusion by end users.

In my many years of IT and network experience I have seen far more reliability and outage related issues with cable delivery vs DSL.

DSL does need a "speed boost" as it were and an expansion of sorts into areas not typically served; where cable has the only means of HS access.

Your articles hold no water to a technicians eye-witness. I have seen it and dealt with it for years. Where do you live? Where I live (Tampa Bay market) Verizon DSL can be awful and both Bright House Networks and Knolgy cable (where serviceable) are pretty good most of the time. There are problematic areas for cable, mainly peninsula type areas where cable has one way in and one way out, but overall Verizon is far worse. Keep in mind that there are more laws in place regulating DSL and install dates are very difficult to deal with in a business setting (compared to what the laws are with their fiber service). I have literally dealt with a company losing DSL for 7 days because Verizon put it on the wrong line and had to make the change to one of their other office lines. Here we are, with a law firm with no Internet for 7 days! That is unaccecptable. I can pick on third parties like ATT that use Verizon for the last mile in my area. What a joke. But seriously? Where do you live? Because what is offered in your town may be starkly different than what is offered in mine.

Don't write me off or discredit me on this. FIOS will greatly reduce the customers dealings with Verizon as far as tech support and outages. It is more reliable. What I am saying is that I hate Verizon too, with their many problems, but I believe they have improved upon that enough that FIOS is worth a look for sure. It is worth a look even for some people that hate them and swear they would never do business with them again. Mainly because the product has the potential to be far superior than cable and is replacing DSL any chance Verizon gets.

Your articles hold no water to a technicians eye-witness. I have seen it and dealt with it for years. Where do you live? Where I live (Tampa Bay market) Verizon DSL can be awful and both Bright House Networks and Knolgy cable (where serviceable) are pretty good most of the time. There are problematic areas for cable, mainly peninsula type areas where cable has one way in and one way out, but overall Verizon is far worse. Keep in mind that there are more laws in place regulating DSL and install dates are very difficult to deal with in a business setting (compared to what the laws are with their fiber service). I have literally dealt with a company losing DSL for 7 days because Verizon put it on the wrong line and had to make the change to one of their other office lines. Here we are, with a law firm with no Internet for 7 days! That is unaccecptable. I can pick on third parties like ATT that use Verizon for the last mile in my area. What a joke. But seriously? Where do you live? Because what is offered in your town may be starkly different than what is offered in mine.

Don't write me off or discredit me on this. FIOS will greatly reduce the customers dealings with Verizon as far as tech support and outages. It is more reliable. What I am saying is that I hate Verizon too, with their many problems, but I believe they have improved upon that enough that FIOS is worth a look for sure. It is worth a look even for some people that hate them and swear they would never do business with them again. Mainly because the product has the potential to be far superior than cable and is replacing DSL any chance Verizon gets.

"Your articles hold no water to a technicians eye-witness."

That part right there leads me out of this discussion; I have been in the network and overall IT game for over 20 years in DFW, ATL, LAX, PHX, SFO, STL, MIA and MEM but you instantly attack by belittling my knowledge and ability to read & comprehend industry reports, data and such. Nevermind; I guess the local PC repair guys have all the insider info. I am out.

"Your articles hold no water to a technicians eye-witness."

That part right there leads me out of this discussion; I have been in the network and overall IT game for over 20 years in DFW, ATL, LAX, PHX, SFO, STL, MIA and MEM but you instantly attack by belittling my knowledge and ability to read & comprehend industry reports, data and such. Nevermind; I guess the local PC repair guys have all the insider info. I am out.

Unbelievable. Good riddance I guess.

I am not belittling your knowledge. I am stating my own experience specifically in dealing with Verizon DSL on an almost DAILY basis. I deal with Roadrunner and Verizon DSL in the Tampa Bay market and DSL has a lot of problems here both commercially and with residential accounts. I can stand behind this. Your IT experience has nothing to do with what happens in my market. I have been in IT for 15 years (I'm only 33). If it makes you feel better about yourself to call me the "local PC repair guy" go ahead. I used to work corporate IT jobs traveling to different cities in my earlier days. I could have chased the corporate money from city to city like it sounds like you did but I am a family man and want to be home with my family. Some years back I started my "local computer repair guy" service so I could be home with my family evenings and not sitting in airports. And you know what? I couldn't be happier! I service residential accounts and small businesses and have a sizable customer base. I'm home every night to see my kids and wife and I make darn good money doing what I love. If you look down upon that, perhaps you are unhappy with all that running around to different cities handling networking nightmares that you probably didn't create but have little control over and are expected to fix.

No need to respond, as you already said you were "out." But you don't walk into a farming community and tell them how the tomatos grow. Don't tell me how reliable the Tampa Bay market Verizon DSL service is. I stand behind everything I have said here. Have a good day.

Last edited:
I deal with Verizon DSL all the time being in the residential repair computer field. DSL service breaks a lot. I hate Verizon too for this. But, with FIOS, is much more reliable. They don't have as many problems. Not like DSL. How about dealing with commercial phone lines. With their far out install dates and other problems.

But, if it ain't broke and you don't gotta call 'em, FIOS looks beautiful with that sexy lineup. How could that not sway you. Remember, you wouldn't have as many problems with FIOS as DSL for example.

I think most that really know Verizon hate them, but this product is far superior to other products out there and worth giving them a new shot.

I've never had verizon dsl. I've has verizon landlines and cell. Both have been terrible experience. And if you call their customer service ... well I wont go there.

I really think that your millage will vary between DSL and cable depending on where you live. I had a cable modem in North Chalreston, SC and would have a cable outage at least once a week for a few hours and the speed would slow to a crawl after 5 PM. I had DSL in Norfolk, VA and was paying for 3 Mbps and was getting more like 600 Kbps, where cable modem in the same house was faster than advertised with very little down time. I currently have DSL in Suffolk, VA and though I am getting only half the advertised speed, it is priced well and keeps me from having to pay the cable plus the satellite companies. Just my two cents....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts