Let the Speculation begin!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It was talked about before. If I remember right, D* for sure denied it all completely. I don't see it happening, both services have invested too much to compete with each other by launching new satellites, and future investments into different services.

They are talking about a joint venture to explore the high-speed internet business only. Both D* and E* lose a lot of customers because cable companies offer attractive bundles with HS internet . They have no plans to merge the satellite video business .

I do not see it happening until both businesses will appear to be failing to compete with cable/fiber/phone companies.

never, it would mean more HD for us DTV users. Nothing that good can happen to us. So no, bookmark this post. It wont happen anytime soon.

joedekock said:
It was talked about before. If I remember right, D* for sure denied it all completely. I don't see it happening, both services have invested too much to compete with each other by launching new satellites, and future investments into different services.

Actually - this question came up in the last DirecTV webinar - they in fact said that if a plan made sense they may be in favor of it. Take a listne for yourself.

I think your all in a state of denial, the economics of a merger out weigh any other arguement. The TWC/Comcast takeover of Adelphia have opened the door for this to take place now sooner then later. Murdoch & Ergen are both too smart not to jump on this because if they don't combine now, the Cable and Telcos will bury them, except in the rural areas.

newsposter said:
never, it would mean more HD for us DTV users. Nothing that good can happen to us. So no, bookmark this post. It wont happen anytime soon.
Read the rest of the article from Skyreport.........
--------------------------------------------------
Print media's well-publicized downturn may be a sign of things to come, but a recent story from the West Coast is proving there still is power in the pen. When EchoStar Communications' DISH Network closed trading yesterday up 6.17 percent ($32.52), some credited the upswing on an article in the LA Times hinting at rumors of a takeout of DISH by rival DirecTV.
--------------------------------------------------
http://www.skyreport.com/viewskyreport.cfm?ReleaseID=1964
:hungry:

kissthesky said:
I think your all in a state of denial, the economics of a merger out weigh any other arguement. The TWC/Comcast takeover of Adelphia have opened the door for this to take place now sooner then later. Murdoch & Ergen are both too smart not to jump on this because if they don't combine now, the Cable and Telcos will bury them, except in the rural areas.
I am thinking it COULD happen IF the government does not decide that uit would constitute a monopoly, that was part of what shot it down the last time.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
I am thinking it COULD happen IF the government does not decide that uit would constitute a monopoly, that was part of what shot it down the last time.

Jimbo

If they did or didn't figure it to be a monopoly, it would be, under the current situation. Without any competition, can you imagine what satellite programing costs would be? With only two providers, a merger would be a disaster for consumers.

lou_do said:
If they did or didn't figure it to be a monopoly, it would be, under the current situation. Without any competition, can you imagine what satellite programing costs would be? With only two providers, a merger would be a disaster for consumers.

There would only be no competition if they also bought all the cable companies and all the Telcos. If they raised prices after the merge people would just switch to either cable or (soon) their Telco.

You could make a good argument that they could better compete with cable by reducing their prices after the merge since expenses will drop considerably.

kbcrowe said:
There would only be no competition if they also bought all the cable companies and all the Telcos. If they raised prices after the merge people would just switch to either cable or (soon) their Telco.

You could make a good argument that they could better compete with cable by reducing their prices after the merge since expenses will drop considerably.

I was referring to satellite vs satellite competition, not satellite vs cable. I would never go back to cable, because of less programing, poorer PQ and higher cost. I just think that the best way to keep prices down is competition. If there was a merger I am sure you wouldn't see any price drops in programing.

Oh Lou, how times have changed... People are seeing three choices out there, sat, cable and the various phone groups. The rival is not the other sat company anymore. People are deciding first and foremost between the three now and then will compare the sats if that is the direction they choose. Not sure about the PQ reference. Seems like that just depends on which company and where they are. I differ here. I think they will to do this and it will definitely be an advantage for us, the SAT subs. Cable competition with the Sats is heating up. I hear from time Warner at least twice a week looking to switch me over.

-Quote:
Originally Posted by DS0816
It was almost five years ago Charlie Ergen wanted to do this with purchasing DirecTV. So, folks, it isn't going to happen.-

baloney,

rupert willl grease palms

also on how to make rural areas who then loose competition it is easy

based on their address, showing no other competitors,

they give them a flat 10% off their bill

I can see where some see it as a monopoly in that there would only be one satellite company but I do not see it as a monopoly in all aspects since you do not have a choice of cable companies. You have to go with the cable company that is in your area so how would that be different with satellite if they merged? If all of the cable companies merged then how would that make any difference in there being a choice? You would still only have one cable company. If the two satellite companies merged then you would have less choice. It seems like due to this fact that the FCC would be a LOT more likely to allow the cable companies to merge before they would the satellite companies.

It may still be a little too early yet to be asking for a merger until IPTV, wireles, and fiber becomes more of the norm within the next 10-20 years. It is hard to tell where satellite/cable will be by then.

As I stated in a duplicate thread -- it won't be happening. Charlie Ergen tried five years ago to purchase DirecTV. And we know how that was greeted.

5 years....things sure change in 5 years, especially in the tech world. I don't think that anything that happened 5 years ago has anything to do with today in this situation. I am not saying that it is going to happen, but the environment is much more suited to this happening now than it was back then. It doesn't have to be friendly, it just has to make fiscal sense and most analysts are seeing that it does to the tune of billions of dollars. Forgetting the tech side of things and only considering the business side, I think it has a serious chance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)