Letterman recording problem

The issues that I have with my dish provided local recordings are on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am in the DC area. I am interested in what Dish has to say to you. They should have records of my calling in the past for the problem.

No problems last night since it was a Tuesday. Had problems Monday and expect more tonight.

I called Dish yesterday. They were pretty useless as they suggested the standard troubleshooting procedures like unplug the receiver, delete and add back the timer. send me a new receiver. I think I convinced them that none of these make any sense considering multiple DVR's are having the same problem at the exact same time in different homes. They said they would put in a technical report but who knows exactly what that means.

I did agree to do some testing of the other Dish delivered HD channels in the San Francisco market. I've now shifted my 11:00-12:35 test recordings from KNTV, which exhibited the same problem as KPIX, to KGO. Once I test this channel I will then shift the test to KTVU and finally to KRON. It will be interesting to see if all five Dish delivered HD channels exhibit the same behavior on Monday and Wednesday nights.

I got the full recording on Wednesday last week (10/21), but last night (Wednesday, 10/28), the dish supplied HD of Letterman on channel 5-00 stopped at 12:02 AM (a time I've seen it stop before).

My ESPN recording (channel 140 HD) recorded the full hour I set it up to record (11:35-12:35) as did the OTA recording of Letterman on 5-01.

bobl - did your KNTV (11-0) recording also stop at 12:02 AM?

I'll move the timer I had for ESPN to KQED (9-0) to see if this problem happens on non-HD feeds for local stations that Dish provides.

Last night my recordings of both Letterman and Nightline both stopped after recording for 28 minutes (my Letterman recording via OTA was fine). I didn't record the Tonight Show, as I had previously, because I had already seen the same problem with it as Letterman. After speaking with Dish last week I agreed to test the other Dish delivered San Francisco market HD locals. Now that I've seen the problem with KPIX, KNTV and KGO I will be moving my test recording to KTVU. After that it's on to KRON.

I wil be calling Dish today to let them know of last night's problem with both KPIX abd KGO. Hopefully they will be able to shed a little more light on this problem today than they did last week.

jporum-do you have this problem during any other time of day than late night? Maybe during primetime? I'm no longer using Dish delivered HD locals for KPIX or KNTV during primetime as I do these recordings via OTA. I do however do my primetime recordings from KGO and KTVU from the Dish supplied feeds and all of these recordings have been fine.

I cant' recall seeing this problem during primetime and I do record several hours of broadcast TV per week during primetime (a mixture of OTA and Dish provided feeds).

A technical report is one the agents' send to the engineers so that the engineers can try to find the source of the problem and fix it. To do this, they often have to compile multiple reports to find the cause of the issue. It could be software causing it, it could be data encoded in the broadcast, etc. Sometimes, it takes a few calls to find the cause of these gremlins. There's not any real troubleshooting steps beyond a basic "missing/incomplete recording" troubleshooting and that usually won't identify why a primetime recording will complete but a late night won't.

Some other tests you can do to help id the cause: Put the receiver in single mode if in dual mode or vice/versa. Disable OTA locals completely by removing the antenna in and then deleting the OTA locals in menu,6,9. This way you can try to find a setting that is causing the receiver to act unintended.

I am having that issue with my 722. I guess I will delete all the timers and OTA channels, rescan and add the timers to see if that works. I have been scratching my head on this for a few months now.

Called Dish yesterday and reported my new findings for KGO (ABC). They filed another technical problem report. This is not going to be an easy thing to fix! My recordings last night on KPIX (CBS) and KTVU (FOX) were fine. I'm probably going to have to wait for Wednesday night to see if KTVU has the same problem.

Is anyone in this thread having this problem with anything other than local (i.e. broadcast) HD channels provided by Dish when doing recordings late at night? jporum-did you try a recording on KQED-SD? If so, I assume you will also have to wait for Wednesday night to really have an idea as to whether this channel is experiencing the same problem.

Maybe a hacker thinks that letterman is a pig? I don't know, haven't followed this thread, just wondering.

Personally, I don't care. I'm still catching up on my dvr'd Judge Judy's. :)

jporum-did you try a recording on KQED-SD? If so, I assume you will also have to wait for Wednesday night to really have an idea as to whether this channel is experiencing the same problem.

I did set up KQED-SD but so far no glitches. I agree that it probably won't happen again until Wednesday, unfortunately I will no longer be able to record off of both satellites. My wife has been out of town for the last couple of weeks, but she will be back this week, and likes to watch late night satellite TV.

I did not have any failures the last two Wednesdays as well. I don't think I'm ready to say it is fixed yet, as there have been other Wednesdays where it has not failed, but it is looking good.

I have a problem with some programs. It seems that instead of recording one 1 hour recording, it records 10-20 one or two minute segments. Is this the kind of problem you are having?

No. typically a one hour Letterman recording simply stops after 28 minutes and doesn't restart. Sometimes the length is different but it never restarts and this problem seems to be isolated to late night programming on Dish delivered San Francisco HD locals. So far I've seen it on the local CBS, NBC and ABC affiliates. I'm currently testing the FOX affiliate but there hasn't been a problem the last two Wednesday nights.

I had a recording problem again 2 Wednesdays in a row. I am recording using my OTA antenna channels as a backup. But I am still paying Dish for the locals.

Yes, I had a problem this past Wednesday for the first time in maybe a couple of months. I no longer record Letterman via the Dish provided feed, however, my recording of Ugly Betty stopped after two minutes. Fortunately I noticed it and was able to record the remainder of the program since it was still in the buffer. Up-was you problem with Letterman?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts