Lightning Struck My Dish Last Night !!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fortyfives

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Well I woke up this morning, turned on my Pansat 2700 and no lights. It appears that lightning struck my 8 footer sometime during the night. I'm not sure how much damage has been done yet. The TV and all the other equiptment in my living room (except for the Pansat) seems to be OK. The dish won't move. So, either the actuator is fried or it took out the analog box I use to move the dish.

Hope the LNB's aren't fried. The C-band is a high end Chapparal and the Ku is Norsat.

Any suggestions ? This really sucks !

Any suggestions ?
Just the usual: divide and conquer

Take your receiver and see if it has any blown fuses (probably a silly idea - if there is one, it'd be inside).
If you can get the receiver to light up, hook it to another known-good dish.
Hook another known-good receiver to the BUD that got hit.

Go look for physical signs.
Replace any damaged coax.

Post more info as you find it.
If there is anything to see, take pictures and post 'em here.
A shot of your grounding blocks and wiring would be a start.

Man I hate that for You ,
2 of my satelites got hit 3 weeks ago today, took out my cband norsat 8115
my actuator, damaged some coax and some disequ switches,on my little 76CMdish
got my sg2100,and my QPH lnb, melted some coax, had to replace that.
in the house, took out pc,3500 traxis rec,one tv,ad a power supply. I just got my insurance check this week, helped some. Take your time, checking everything,something might show up later down the road, lightning does some strange things to electronics.

Well, I changed out actuators and went from the 24" Superjack back to my old 18" Superjack. The 18 inch works so it looks like the 24" is shot. The Cal Amp c-band LNB seems to have survived as I'm getting analog channels on my old GI receiver. I have not tested my KU lnb yet.

Are there any analog Ku channels I can test my Norsat LNB on?

Do you have that baby grounded? I have mine grounded twice, one line going into the ground right under and another running to where the electric meter is grounded. Been lucky for 24 years, knock on wood.

It looks like at this point , I only lost the Pansat 2700 and the Superjack. The Lnb's seem to have survived as well as everything else. Looks like I'll be stuck watching analog for awhile until I get the $$$$ to replace the Pansat.
I'm looking at HD FTA receivers. Is it worth shelling out the extra $$$ for one considering the amount of FTA HD channels ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts