Line of Sight Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

balexander

Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Today, I had the Direct TV guys come out and hook up my dish. Unfortunately, the only place they said it would work was to have my dish sitting on the road next to my mailbox. They didn't event try the roof (which is 2 stories). I'm fed up with Time Warner Cable and was looking forward to having Direct.

Any options? Would DishNet or the Free-to-Air work? If it can reach from the ground, why not from top of house? Is there something I can buy and test the signal myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If you have a clear view of the southern sky from your roof, then you should be ok. (no trees or tall buildings etc... blocking the view)

If the view is clear, the installers were probably either affraid to go on your roof or it probably isn't in their contracts to go on the roof of 2 story houses. I think there is a limit as to how high they are required to go.

Don't have much information from you and can not say anything, is your 2 story house like a box ? or there two roof one up and one lower. where the front door face to, east ? west ? I did an installation few months back and the dish is at the very top of the house, my 28' ladder just enought to reach to the top side of the roof so I put the ladder in my truck bed that give me a few foot extra, there is no other supporting or help with me, with some gusty wind from time to time, and I am the only guy to do the damn work, sure I really got scare to claim up but have to. and i have to walk on the very top of the roof and thats the only place can walk on, the roof is 60 degree straight up from the edge to the very top, so walking on the roof is a joke. It took me over an hour to replace the new dish to the old mount, it took three trips, first, got up, took down the old dish and second trip brough the new dish up, last trip get my meter up to adjust the dish.

One bad part is, when you need service later, I mean after the one year, if the dish has any problem, I am sure you will paying extra to get the service done.

A clinometer is what you need to see if you have the shot to the satellite.Find the direction you need to aim the dish with a compass then use this check your elevation.
I have one for sale like new 40 bucks pm me if interested.
You can see a picture of it in classifieds.

Last week would have been the best time to do this, but here is a web site that will tell you if you have line of sight to all three satellites. http://perso.numericable.fr/~gjullien/satellite.htm
You can still get a pretty good idea if you've got a spot where all 3 satellites, 101, 110 and 119, can be seen. You'll need to know your latitude and longitude.

Picture of a combo compass and clinometer

Attachments

• combo compass clinometer.jpg
    combo compass clinometer.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 218
I'd be afraid to have my dish exposed to the public on a passing street. Depending on where you live, it may be a target for vandalism.

Just my $0.02

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts