Line of Sight

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

adambridgewaternj

Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
I subscribed to DirecTV 2 months ago. I ordered an HD dish, receiver, and 2 SD receivers. When the technician came to the house, he told me that there was no line of sight due to the trees. I refused to take his word for it. I had another technician come out the next day. He also told me there was no line of sight for HD programming, but there was one for SD programming.

He continued to tell me that the new satellite that DirecTV launched would clear up any line of sight problems....supposedly it was specifically designed for North America?? He insisted I'd be having HD programming with this new dish.

Is this the case? Will this new satellite technology that is being launched in Detroit and quickly spread to the NY metro area help me with my "treeline...line of sight" problem? Or am I going to be without HD until my neighbor's trees fall down?

Any and all help would be appreciated

Adam

All of the D* sats 101 to 119 currently, and adding 99 and 103, all point inthe same general direction, Southwest ... all within 20 degrees, I cannot see how they would be able to get you the correct line of sight, if you cannot get it already.
Anyway to get around the tree issue ? are they your trees , can they be trimmed or cut to provide access.

I have a friend who's line of sight was obstructed by trees, but we were able to run the dish out to the property line and into a clearer area.

So bacically, without trimming and or cutting, if you can't get them now, the HD set-up will not be any different.

Jimbo

Great advise Jimbo.

Adambridgewaternj: you can run 100' - 125' or so of RG6, thats a long way so give a new dish site a try.

Jimbos said:
All of the D* sats 101 to 119 currently, and adding 99 and 103, all point inthe same general direction, Southwest ... all within 20 degrees, I cannot see how they would be able to get you the correct line of sight, if you cannot get it already.
Anyway to get around the tree issue ? are they your trees , can they be trimmed or cut to provide access.

I have a friend who's line of sight was obstructed by trees, but we were able to run the dish out to the property line and into a clearer area.

So bacically, without trimming and or cutting, if you can't get them now, the HD set-up will not be any different.

Jimbo
It can happen. real easy.

The trees are my neighbors....a tree on his property fell down last year and he trimmed several of them, but not the one that i need!!! Amazingly, there ins't one spot on my property that would get me around this tree. My property is 50 x 200 on .25 acres....

So basically, unless this tree is taken down, i'm screwed? There are no other solutions to get this HD signal?

I can't believe technology hasn't been developed for this problem. I can see DirecTV losing a ton of customers for line of sight issues...especially in remote areas with a lot of trees..... Is there anything down the pike to combat this?

Thanks......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)