LINKBOX 9000i HD Review

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Don't have a 9000i in front of me, but here is what I recall.

Set Internet time: (receiver must be set-up to your router fixed or DHCP)
Menu/System/Local time setting
GMT Usage: On
GMT Offset: Your Time Zone (UTC time offset)
Summer Time: On or Off (Daylight Savings)
Press the red button to sync the time to IP. STB stays in sync in standby mode.

Did this. The time still changes.

20170519_222501.jpg
Bummer! Worked on my test unit and I know it works for others. Don't have one to compare right now. Maybe someone else could help trouble shoot. Latest firmware installed?

That's another thing I was wondering. Hypermegasat says that they loaded the latest firmware before shipping it but when I check with the "Update by Internet" the screen is saying that version 1.4.0 is newer than 1.4.6.

Here's some screen shots illustrating my time issues.

1. Current time - note that the Linkbox 9000i and Azbox Elite shows the correct time
2. 9000i time settings
3a. 9000i network settings
3b. 9000i network settings
4. G19 display info - note that the time is correct
5. G16 display info - note that the time is INcorrect
6. Elite and 9000i times are different (Elite display shows the correct time)
7. System info

20170520_093902.jpg 20170520_094040.jpg 20170520_094132.jpg 20170520_094140.jpg 20170520_094356.jpg 20170520_095741.jpg 20170520_095814.jpg 20170520_094216.jpg

If you did what Brian said above your time should be correct. The time problem you are describing was fixed with firmware version 1.1.9 back in January of 2016.
Only thing I can think of and I am no expert here on this, but do you have your router locked down heavily?
Go in your router or receiver and see what IP is being assigned to your 9000 and then go under DMZ in your router and put that address in, and save.
This will ensure all ports are open to the receiver and and the internet, just as if no router were present. I don't know what port or ports they are using to connect to the time server.
Yes, this opens the receiver to the world, but I don't think you are worried about someone hacking your receiver. :)

Go in your router or receiver and see what IP is being assigned to your 9000 and then go under DMZ in your router and put that address in, and save.

Why would I do that? The 9000i is a client requesting a time update from a NTP server somewhere on the internet - not the other way around. I tried the DMZ "thing", anyway, even though it made no sense from a networking perspective - as expected, it didn't fix the issue. I've attached the results of a TCP scan on the 9000i - only 1 port shows open with or without DMZ. I tried to do a UDP scan but it was taking forever.

Attachments

• 9000i_TCPscan.txt
    281 bytes · Views: 137
I understand that, it doesn't make sense...but I didn't write the firmware, so I was just trying to eliminate everything. If you opened it up and it worked then....
Anyway for sure doesn't look like your end or anything you are doing wrong.

Until this time issue is resolved, the PVR function is useless. It may be that priority is being given to the time sent over the transponders instead of the internet. I've read where others complained about this issue. There should have been a way to set it to sync the time with either TP or internet (like the Azbox Elite/Ultra). I'm wondering if I should have went with the GeoSat HDVR3500 since it seems to be more feature rich than the 9000i. Anyway, I tried rolling back the firmware on the 9000i but that didn't help so I re-installed 1.4.6. It is interesting that the Linkbox is saying that the 1.4.0 firmware is newer than the 1.4.6 firmware when I go to upgrade the firmware.

I just talked with the people at LinkBox and they are aware of the issue and that they requested a firmware update from whoever creates the firmware so that the time can be synchronized with a NTP server instead of over the satellites. So, there's no telling when the firmware update will occur (if ever). Whoever wrote the firmware should have known better and designed the firmware better. Heh, I was going to write a review summarizing the pros and cons of this box but my cons far outweigh the pros to this box.

That reply makes no sense as the STB has been updating via IP after the update last year. Who knows what time server, but it was working. Maybe it was broken in later releases?
I'd assume it was broken again. Mine still synchs to whatever bird or broadcast channel I'm tuned to. To DVR something I switch to the station I want, re-synch the time to the internet, and set the timer. Not great, but works.

I think I'll be getting a PCIe tuner card and set it up with Sichbo PVR soon. It works fine with my ATSC tuners and DVB-S (not S2) card. It's probably the closest I'll be getting to an all-in-one-box solution for now.

I turned my 9000i off. Don't know if I'll be using this thing. Even though it isn't technically defective since a firmware update should be able to fix the time sync problem, I probably should just return it since I'm still within the 30 day period. There's just no telling when the firmware update will be released despite that this is a significant problem. I'd go with a PCIe card but since I can't find any linux based software for blindscanning I'll have to forgo that also. There's inadequate info on linux dvb utilities although I did get some results using w_scan but some services don't get automatically inserted into the resulting scanfile (i.e. the ABC transponders on G16 didn't get saved to the scanfile). How w_scan works is a mystery to me - it looks like development on it has stopped. And I couldn't get the updatelee project to work either. Too much junk electronics being sold these days and lacking documentation on dvb utilities. If only I had the time to write my own software for the pcie cards......

I say go for it!! Just get less sleep :)

Makes me wish I were an android like Commander Data. Anyway, I just started learning how to write a C program for my dvb card. Looks like I need to brush up on structures and unions - they're using some fancy stuff for querying/setting the front end. . Good thing I kept all these books on C programming. Of course, there's a lot of material on the web also.

Makes me wish I were an android like Commander Data. Anyway, I just started learning how to write a C program for my dvb card. Looks like I need to brush up on structures and unions - they're using some fancy stuff for querying/setting the front end. . Good thing I kept all these books on C programming. Of course, there's a lot of material on the web also.

58c7c39c6f239ce2183c1da40a9af841.jpg

Reactions: LocutusOfBorg
One other thing that I noticed is that when I slave my TBS9622SE card to the 9000i, the 9000i has to be turned on to get anything through to the 9622SE or any diseqc commands to the Gbox. When I slave the 9622SE to the Azbox Elite, I don't have that issue (the Azbox can be left in standby).

Last edited:
I'm going to keep the 9000i but I don't recommend it until they get the bugs worked out. I don't know if the 1080p problem is a hardware or firmware problem but if it's hardware problem then I won't expect it to be fixed unless they're willing to pay to have it shipped back for an upgrade. The local time issue is another significant problem. I find it interesting that the only thing one can do over the ethernet connection is for firmware updates and IPTV. It seems to me that this isn't a well designed box. I sent an e-mail to linkboxusa to express my disappointment. I'm letting the wife use the 9000i with her TV since she's not as concerned about these issues as I am. I guess I'd done with this thread now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts