Live Retailer Charlie Chat Update

metallicafreak said:
Scott Greczkowski said:
Talking about the restraining order because CBS is threatning to take away the superbowl, there will be a hearing in the court in a few days.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! This better NOT happen!!!!

It's a threat only. CBS can't afford to exclude 9,000,000 eyeballs from their advertisers. Look for the advertisers to strongarm CBS into caving IF any shutoff of the signal was implemented.

It's a threat only. CBS can't afford to exclude 9,000,000 eyeballs from their advertisers. Look for the advertisers to strongarm CBS into caving IF any shutoff of the signal was implemented.

Not all Dish customers get locals. (I don't, and wonder what percentage of Dish customers also subscribe to locals.) I just get my locals over the air.

I bet some receivers will get a phone number to the retailer's competetor's phone number in the system info screen. This will cause a lot of retailers to get very angry. Most do not press the system information button anyways but I know it would make me mad to see my competetor's phone number on my receivers along with my customer's receivers. This could make the retailer look very bad.

Perhaps they are using the information that they are asking on the phone from the retailer/installer to put onto the system information screen. For most customers in the past, no information was asked, so I wonder what retailer they would put into the system information screen or would they keep it blank or put Sears or Radio Shack in there instead, or another one of your competetor's phone number. Why would they be asking for the installer and retailer's name upon the time of activation if they had this information all along to put into the system information screen?

ride525 said:

Not all Dish customers get locals. (I don't, and wonder what percentage of Dish customers also subscribe to locals.) I just get my locals over the air.

Furthermore, I believe it only applies to those who get the national CBS feeds vs the LIL feeds and those lucky dogs that get the national HD feed :?

Not a good thing, but not as big as suggested.

-Fax

FaxMan said:
ride525 said:

Furthermore, I believe it only applies to those who get the national CBS feeds vs the LIL feeds and those lucky dogs that get the national HD feed :?

Not a good thing, but not as big as suggested.

-Fax

the ones who should be screaming would be LIL subscribers in the following cities (these are the CBS that are O&O)

Austin
Baltimore
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Los Angeles
Marquette
Miami
Minneapolis (damn it damn it damn it)
New York
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Salt Lake City
San Francisco

these are the ones that would be shut off

It will still be millions of people that will probably be affected. When Viacom is promising advertisers a guaranteed rating AND they are trying to help pay for that expensive game, they will not do anything to risk it. Also, don't underestimate the furor that will happen when the channels go dark. There was a huge stink when Time Warner cut ABC for a few days two years ago. This is the kind of thing that gets politicians crazy as they will be coming after the companies for making poor old ladies miss The Price is Right..

Scott Greczkowski said:
Free Dish and Free For All will continue (however no more 3 months free HBO and Showtime included)

Now talking about the new DHA plan.

Does the new DHA plan do away with the lease fee or do you still have to pay a leasing fee?? I think it was 5.99 a month

The new DHA promotion will be for new subscribers only at those rates being mentioned for it. I believe they are having a set price that will include lease fees, locals, etc, if I am not mistaken.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The DHA Plan rate includes locals, there is no price difference if locals are not available in your area.

Locals now cover 90% of the population.
Nice. Forced purchase of locals. Just like cable. :(

I hope they don't carry this over to the O&O equipment world. With quoted prices of $29.99 / $39.99 / $49.99 it doesn't look like they want to budge down for those who don't WANT locals! Will they still give the discounts for not having all four major networks?

The REAL price increase may come from not allowing choice. :(

JL

justalurker said:
Scott Greczkowski said:
The DHA Plan rate includes locals, there is no price difference if locals are not available in your area.

Locals now cover 90% of the population.
Nice. Forced purchase of locals. Just like cable. :(

I hope they don't carry this over to the O&O equipment world. With quoted prices of $29.99 / $39.99 / $49.99 it doesn't look like they want to budge down for those who don't WANT locals! Will they still give the discounts for not having all four major networks?

The REAL price increase may come from not allowing choice. :(

JL

As it stands, a DHP customer WITHOUT locals pays $29.99/mo for ONE receiver. They are just adding them in at no charge. Since they aren't charging, there would be no discount for someone who doesn't get them.

With that said:
THE NEW DHA DOESN'T INCLUDE THE SERVICE PLAN like DHP did. DHA customers will have to pay $5.99/mo if they want the lifetime warranty and discounted service calls that are included in the current plan.

Mainstreet said:
THE NEW DHA DOESN'T INCLUDE THE SERVICE PLAN like DHP did. DHA customers will have to pay $5.99/mo if they want the lifetime warranty and discounted service calls that are included in the current plan.

Doesn't this seem to be to E*'s detriment? The only advantage I can see to having the service plan is that a service person comes to your home so you won't have to fix an external problem (which I think most people here would agree is less likely than a receiver failure). With no contract, it seems that it would be awfully easy for someone to call Dish and say, "Excuse me, YOUR equipment isn't working. Fix it or come get it out of the cable co. installer's way." They are smarter than me and have the bank balances to prove it but this doesn't appear to be well thought out.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish will be doing an update on the 811 and 921 which will allow a user to decide to remap their satellite locals to their OTA channel number

This update is expected within 30 days.

This is a positive, however the OTA listings for Digital Channels is still a way off.

Could someone please explain this in a little more detail? Does this mean that when I view an OTA channel, the program information for the corresponding local channel broadcast by Dish would be displayed?

TIA,

Scott

Scott,

You got it half right. The part you got right is the fact that the program info will show up in the guide, but that's the software is still aways off. (Hopefully Dish will be smart enough to know that it's important for them to have this done by the time the HD Tivo is released). And then get it right when they finally release it.

The software that we will hopefully see in 30 days would allow you to remap your locals (likely now channel 8XXX) to the channel number you are used to, say 2,4,5 or 7 is likely to be 30 days away. I hope this helps.

The problem is, once remapped, they'll conflict with the OTA tuner.

They can either make the feature optional, or it'll look like the channels are in the guide twice.

I played with an 811 over the holiday. Some of the Digital channels remapped to the old OTA Analog number. It worked ok - they appeared twice in the guide (and niether had any guide information).

David_Levin said:
The problem is, once remapped, they'll conflict with the OTA tuner.
Why can't they just list them:
2 ABC (SAT SD)
2-1 ABC (OTA HD)
2-2 ABC (OTA Digital SD)

6 CBS (SAT SD)
6-1 CBS (OTA HD)
and so on?

You don't have to map the OTA analog unless you don't get them from SAT.

Or am I totally missing something?

Thanks,
Lee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts