Live Retailer Chat Recap (November 4, 2004)

Scott Greczkowski said:
While we are down some MAJOR news came out, Dish is lowering the MSRP on the 921 to $549. (That is NOT a misprint)

I am in shock at this as you might be. More details of this as we now them.

Remember you heard it here first SatelliteGuys.US.

I told you that the price was the holdup on the sale of these receivers. :rolleyes:

Bradtothebone said:
Yeah, and that's all of ONE WEEK after I bought one for the Satellite Guys special price of $839! I know you didn't know about this, Scott, but I feel a little bit hosed.

Brad
I wish I had something to tell you (and this is why I am a little agrivated by the announcement from Dish) as you know Claude worked very hard to get that special group buy from Dish. The price DishStore paid for the 921's for the group buy was MORE then what the MSRP is now.

It is safe to say we did not know of this price change, in fact we were in talks on TUESDAY as Dish wanted us to offer the deal one more time. I think its safe to say we feel a little hosed ourselves.

DishStore will CONTINUE to work hard to offer you the best deals possible.

I just got home after being away, and am hoping they will repeat the chat again so I can get you those screen captures of the new locals (they had like 6 cities on the list) usually they repeat the chat for 24 hours after it airs.

The cities named by scott coincides with the list on the October Club Dish brochoure. This list includes the following cities (The stations listed are just the full power stations available and not necessarily what Dish is going to add):

Billings, MT (Big 4 only - - No PBS or other full power station)
Casper / Riverton, WY (Big 4 and PBS -- LP UPN, CBS a secondary UPN)
Erie, PA (Big 4 and PBS)
Gainsville, FL (ABC, CBS, Fox and PBS only)
Great Falls, MT (Big 4 only -- Fox affiliate also secondary UPN and Pax)
Merridian, MS (Big 4 and PBS -- PBS already available in MS counties)
Minot / Bismarck / Dickinson, ND (Big 4 & PBS, 2 NBC & 2 CBS -- Fox also a seconday UPN)
Rapid City, ND (Big 4 & PBS -- NBC a secondary UPN)
Twin Falls, ID (CBS, Fox, 2 PBS. ABC and NBC are LP repeaters. LP UPN and Pax also)

I also got an e-mail about Binghamton NY planned for April 2005 though I have not seen any "official" info about this. Binghamton has CBS, ABC, Fox and PBS full power. It also has an NBC "CA" station and a UPN LP affiliate.

This is a map of the current Dish Locals coverage and planned coverage if the info is correct.
Dish%20current%20and%20announced%20locals.gif

I still want to see the list that the retailer chat had! :D

See ya
Tony

Glad that I did not jump into the 921 $1k price. I learned my lesson from the 721 price and the 6000u price meltdown. IMHO, I am not about to jump into the 942 either. Dish reputation is that the software on these receivers is not in working order until six to 12 months after release (This makes the receivers absolete by the time they are ready for primetime). If Dish doesn't lease, I will not buy it from them.

Ok I got screen shots finally. :)

And here they are. :D

Attachments

• dish3.jpg
    dish3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 343
  • dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 300
  • dish2.jpg
    dish2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 360
That green map is incorrect in what it shows as markets that are currently being offered. Wood County, WV does NOT have local channels on it and it has not even been planned let alone being offered currently. Seeing how that county is incorrect there is a chance that there are several other counties that may also be incorrect.

Since your 921 is double boxed, the return policy and receipt are sitting inside the first box, right on top of the 921 box. As long as you do not open the actual 921 box, your not going to get hit with the 20% restocking fee.

If I may add, there is no way your going to get 2 basic receivers, an 811 and $200 921.

Your only option here is to sign up for DHA for $49.99, have DISH Network come out and install a SuperDish, an 811 and a 322. After they do their installation, you'll need to purchase another DP34 Switch for $75 since the 921 will be considered the "5th" satellite feed, a $549 921 receiver, $25 to ship the 921 discounted receiver and then pay another $59 to install the 921 since it would not be considered part of the promotion. Your still gonna be into it for around $759 when its all said and done!

The only way your going to get a $250 921 receiver is if you go under FREE DISH and get (2) 311's and sign a 2 year contract. If you wanted to add the 811 to that, your going to spend another $399 for the receiver, $75 for the Switch and another $59 to pay someone to install it which brings the price to $783.

scott,
Any idea what satellite the new locals are going to be on? I am specifically interested in the Billings, MT local market. I have a friend who has been waiting a long time to get his locals and dump his basic cable totally. Thanks in advance.

ML

TNGTony said:

Grrr... see that white spot in Maryland/Delaware... that's where I live. We have 2 channels and can't get them uplinked.

Maybe I should send some hired goons to the station.

When are the Next any of those Chats:

Next Retailer Chat?
Next Latino Retailer Chat?
Next International Retailer Chat?

Anyone knows?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)