Live Retailer Chat Update! (April 27, 2004)

JeffGia said:
I currently have a Dish 508 receiver, and have resisted upgrading to the 510, etc. because I wanted to avoid the $5 monthly PVR fee. Does anyone know if I will have to pay the $5 monthly fee for a 721?

The 721 doesn't have the VOD fee.

NightRyder

awax said:
I guess its too much to ask to LEARN FREAKING ENGLISH!!!!!!

The OFFICIAL Language in Puerto Rico (Which as been part of the United States since it was TAKEN by they US from Spain in 1898) is Spanish, there are 4 million potential Dish subs there.

Several states in the union have Spanish listed as one the official languages.

There are over 20 million native Spanish speakers in the US (States) right now (ALL LEGAL...more if you count illegals--US census bureau) and you know what? Most of us speak English well enough that you'd never know we speak Spanish as well. Not only that, but many of us were BORN here!

The question isn't why don't "they" learn English...the question is, why don't YOU learn Spanish?

It's a matter of preference what language "they" speak. If one company wishes to cash in on the customer base that prefers to read in their native tongue, more power to them. They get to cash on on the "se habla español" crowd, while the companies that think "they" should learn English, lose out on the business.

See ya
Tony <---one of "them"

This reminds me of an Eddy Izzard routine about the EU and English speakers' resistance to learning any other languages....

Character one: "Two languages in one head? Who could do such a thing"

Character two: "Well the Dutch speak 4 different languages and smoke marijuana....."

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
The question isn't why don't "they" learn English...the question is, why don't YOU learn Spanish?

I must agree. I am taking spanish in school now and i find it exciting. I have really learned spanish on my own though as my real teacher left for the military, and we got this incompetent teacher that dont know nothin. Spanish is a really easy language to learn, so i dont see why more dont know it.

TNGTony said:
The OFFICIAL Language in Puerto Rico (Which as been part of the United States since it was TAKEN by they US from Spain in 1898) is Spanish, there are 4 million potential Dish subs there.

Several states in the union have Spanish listed as one the official languages.

There are over 20 million native Spanish speakers in the US (States) right now (ALL LEGAL...more if you count illegals--US census bureau) and you know what? Most of us speak English well enough that you'd never know we speak Spanish as well. Not only that, but many of us were BORN here!

It's a matter of preference what language "they" speak. If one company wishes to cash in on the customer base that prefers to read in their native tongue, more power to them. They get to cash on on the "se habla español" crowd, while the companies that think "they" should learn English, lose out on the business.

See ya
Tony <---one of "them"

I am not Latin and i speak spanish better then my wife who is!! I do live in Redneck vile and here this alot. Most of the people who say that where i live may have a ged which is ok but most are just to scarde of different things..

psycaz said:
Anyone find out more about the 721 deal?

I tried calling a CSR about the deal and of course they knew nothing about it. Tried to sell me a 510... told them I wanted to watch 2 shows on one TV and their head spun. CSR Roulette.

The 721 does not have a VOD fee, or the promo would tell the retailers to disclose it.

I don't think Claude can help anyone with this promo, since it's for existing customers who were originally installed by their retailer who are eligible. Maybe.

In order to get the upgrade payment from Dish Network, a retailer must be the
"retailer of record" for that existing customer, meaning they where the original retailer for that particular customer. There is really nothing to stop them from upgrading other customers, other than the fact that they make absolutely no money from doing it (a big reason not to in most retailers minds).

The 721 does not, and I repeat does not have any type of DVR fee (yet) :D

TNGTony said:

Why? Because English is the official language of the United States of America, a nation of 300 million. So, it is really is an obligation of the 20 million or so Spanish speakers to learn English, if they have not already done so, isn't it? Of course, the illegals do not count, as they do not deserve any accomodation. (The term "illegal" is self-explanatory.)

If I were to move to another country, I would not expect them to accomodate me, as far as language goes. Even as a visitor, I do not expect it. I am a frequent visitor to Japan, and any difficulty I have communicating there is totally my fault. I welcome signs, documents, and spoken language in English, but I do not expect it.

The 721 promo is not available yet.

DishStore.NET has lowered its price as low as it can go on the 721's to $419.99 in order to clear out their inventory of 721's.

While this price may be higher then the upcoming promo you are not bound to a 1 year contract with Dish, you also are not required to sign up for Credit Card Auto pay or send back a receiver if the 721 is replacing one (Or get charged an additional $50)

Plus your purchase of the 721 from DishStore.NET helps support SatelliteGuys and DBSForums. :)

BTW the 721 update with OpenTV is due out in approxamately 2 weeks and WILL have the OpenTV software included (Yippie!) :D

BTW As far as the sub topic of English and Spanish to my amazement the UNITED STATES DOES NOT I repeat, DOES NOT have an official language!!
Amazing isn't it!!

What if I don't have an original dealer? I got everything I have directly from Dish.