LNB Burnout in RV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

endofblock

Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hello All,

I am not too satellite savvy but here is my problem. I have a DirecTV box (non HD) in my toy hauler that I setup on camp trips. It seems that every other trip the LNB does not work. I purchase a new one and it works for a while (a day or 2) and then I cannot pick up signal or it becomes very very weak. I am using a construction type of generator (Try-Built 5500 watt) for power (and also tried a 12 volt power inverter a few times to power the system.

I don't know how LNBs work, but I have tried a couple of different dishes too.
the single type to the triple type.

Am I doing something else wrong? Could my power supply be burning them up? Is there a grounding issue? Should I get a line conditioner, if so what do you recommend?

Thanks!

What kind of output does the inverter deliver? A square wave or sine wave? The receiver supplies the switching voltage to the LNB, so if the input to the receiver is weird, who knows what might happen. I'd try a line conditioner as the first test.

Thanks guys. Yes, I forgot to mention that I use the same reciever at home on the back patio when we are not camping. There are absolutly no issues at home with the reciever. I just plug it in and it is fine.

I was thinking it was the LNB because I noticed the signal strength on my sat finder gets weaker and weaker, over a period of a day or two, as I am trying to dail in and re-dial in the dish. When I buy another LNB and install it, the signal comes in strong again....for a while, then slowing fades out in a day or so until I get another LNB. (Does this make sense? I don't know how a LNB works.)

I don't know what wave comes out of the 12v dc to 120v ac inverter. I will try a line conditioner. I have no other issues with any other items such as the Flatscreen TV, DVD, or my Laptop. (But I actually don't know what the quality of voltage I am getting.)

Thanks for your ideas!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)