"lnb-in" and "lnb-out"... definition?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Kevin, IMnsHO, you are getting great advice from SatelliteAV. A few thoughts I have developed trying to get USB devices other than receivers to work then a recap.

USB ports have a limited defined standard. My new HP has 4 ports on it that use 3 different operational sets. USB receivers may be designed around any or none of those "standards" and "Undocumented features". If the receiver you are trying to use does not have up to date drivers/software that is compatible with the port on your receiver, it will never work right. This thread is beginning to sound like one by Jason on a WX website I used to frequent - not good!

I would recommend you get a dual output KU LNBF and a set top box, and use one port of the LNBF to get sighted and tuned in and working. Then hook up the other port of the LNBF with a tested cable to your USB unit. (Side by side comparison). Then you will have only the USB - computer - software variables to work with.

When BRIAN, arguably one of the premier experts in hardware/software satellite business, gives you advice and you seem to blow him off, others - who may be experts in this or other fields may not want to answer your queries.

So take Brian's advice, first, then ask us for help.

I forgot to include the reason I was trying to explain the ports ... one of the 4 USB ports on my new HP will not format COSTCO's SanDisk Cruser USB 16 GB as FAT32 only NTDS or something like that. The other 3 do only FAT32. WHY? No documentation, so, ? But I can make it work. An "Undocumented feature" - otherwise know as a bug.

Last edited:
Not trying to be rude, sorry - as I read it again, sounds like it could have been taken that way. But I seriously suggest you set up with a known good STB and get a solid signal, when you are only working with 3 variables, before you add the 15 or more with a computer and USB! Arizona - around the RV parks used to be loaded with cheap good brand STBs after Dish changed the security. The good boxes (dual use)(not just pirate) should even work for FTA without having to clean up the firmware. Ask about a brand you might look at. I use Fortecs and they were not a hot pirating box.

Quartzite, (I think it was how that is spelled) flea market had a guy cleaning out Coolsats for 10 to 15 bucks each.

I see you are still online, so I will ask a couple of questions> Do you have a dish and what size, if oval Horizontal and vertical? Do you have an LNBF brand and model / circular or linear. Have you run cable? Hopefully RG6?
Well, I don't have a dish yet because to buy a USB satellite tuner, first I need to have a "fitting" dish and LNBF's and I do have a set top box for "digital cable"... and I might have some coaxial cable...

OK!!!! Now I understand some of the QUESTIONS -- it makes sense. Picture this dumb illustration: You are reading the instructions/ description and trying to figure it out and it looks like a sea of mud. When you get the dish, at least 36 to 39 inch and a good LNBF (SL2) then you will see that the dish sits on top of the mud, and it will begin to make sense!
The starter package from SatelliteAV would be an excellent way to start for about $200. The dish and LNBF is an ebay special that you can get direct for $89.00 shipped. I can hardly beat the price - used, and I know what I am looking for. I do not know if it has a cable run with it, but you can call them and ask. Without a dish / lnbf in hand, I can hardly see enough to describe it.
For a laugh, picture me hanging a dish/lnbf with a coat hanger on the drivers mirror of the motor home in a WalMart parking lot near DFW and tuning in G19 at 97W just in time to view my favorite TV program. And then the camera man from the show walks by and sees the set up and the program - knowing the OTA station is off the air that day!

You are not going to get any subscription TV legally without buying the subscription, so that answer is a qualified NO! The reason I said qualified is there may be a very few channels in the clear. Theft of service is not promoted on this forum, and there are dealers for the subscription services that will protect their suppliers.

With that part being said, I have more free to air TV than I can watch so it is not even worth $5 / month for the 2 or 3 channels I would watch if I had them in a subscription package, let alone $29.95 plus taxes they charge (and the 3 programs I would watch are in the pricier packages.)

Other == FTA == satellites, YES, but not Dish, DirecTV, Bell, Shaw, etc. SO -- if the reason you want a USB / computer solution is to share keys or pirate subscription services -- No help from us.

But for FTA, all the help you need.

Last edited:
Would your Coolsat broadcast (receive?) Echostar, Nimiq and other satellites?
Most, if not all, of the channels on those satellites are scrambled. So the answer, for those two satellites, would be no.
Take a look at TheList! (link is on the top of all the pages here) to see what's available on other satellites. (Ku band requires a 36 inch dish, C band requires a minimum of a 6ft dish)
I don't have a dish yet because to buy a USB satellite tuner, first I need to have a "fitting" dish and LNBF's
SatelliteAV (site sponsor 'card' on the top of the pages) has complete systems available. Receiver, dish, LNBF. I think coax in a length you need is also available.
I do have a set top box for "digital cable"
Not useful for satellite reception.

Well that's almost a ripoff on why some people (I'm not talking about you guys & I thank you for helping me) would do that.

I'm really sorry if that previous post of mine might mistakenly be rude to people of SatelliteGuys. I wasn't trying to... It's just that I don't get the channels that I like, except for a few PBS stations..:eek:

OK Kevin. I saw you were in AZ., and our stay in AZ was a constant barrage of people trying to sell me some new software, dongle or other pirate gear to get subscription with out paying anyone but them for it. Many if not all of them required a computer hook up, so I was concerned that was what was happening to you. I do not know what channels you are trying to get, however, the subscription services provide a service to those who are willing to pay. I for one am not willing to pay for the very few channels we would and do watch. If I want to see nudity, I watch my wife - and I am not limited to watching. If I want drama, I could go to town and just look around for a few minutes and get plenty of that. If I want police action, CSI, or such, I could go back to my old job.

But of the programs or channels I want to watch that I do not get on FTA satellite, only 2 are on subscription satellite and both of those are in the high price packages. The other 3 or 4 are "not available" in this market. I can get Spokane news, but not Portland! (Occasionally I can get a Portland station OTA.) Cable is still 11.5 miles away.

We do not sponsor or support, on this forum, Cable or other subscription services. Subscription providers are represented as private members of this forum as well as at least one member of homeland security, 2 or 3 federal marshals, FEMA (now part of HS) so it is not wisest to suggest Theft Of Service.

All that being said, Kevin, I am not suggesting you are involved in "hacking" and I would like to see you find a wonderful hobby in FTA. So look around and read what it is we do here. I have been on this site for almost 5 years, and I am only getting started. I am CHEAP! I do not like to waste money. This hobby can be enjoyed on the cheap, or on the Tiffany level. So, again, read, learn and enjoy.
POP

I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to say that... I didn't mean for you to be mad... Now I learned something... :(:(

I am not mad... I do not think anyone here is mad at you. My comments about AZ were about our total of 4 1/2 month s stay at 3 places, all near Quartzite, over the last three years. I went into an RV parts place to get furnace motors and a Hot water tank and I had to fight off 2 people going in and 4 coming out who insisted I buy so called "FTA" junk from them. I finally was able to grab my jacket and as soon as I got it on they disappeared. It was obvious they knew they were illegal. Amazing what those shoulder patches will do.

So, Kevin, can we help you get FTA TV? I hope so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts