LNB port caps

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maddawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Don't really know what they are called, but need caps for unused ports on my switch on lnbs. Anyone know a source?

They're terminators....you can get them at The Source (or whatever Radio Shack Canada is called now), or Future Shop, or Canadian Tire (god I hate those people in that commercial) :D

heh.. Like the commercial for the college kid furnature.. "made of real wood!"... I havta go study my sports scores..

ultatryon said:
heh.. Like the commercial for the college kid furnature.. "made of real wood!"... I havta go study my sports scores..

Love that folding recliner that looks like a wooden crate that a monkey stapled some vinyl on. Something that damn ugly I'd want to be able to fold it up and put it away.

Tim
I didnt notice if anybody said it but

welcome :wave to SatelliteGuys...nice to have another cold weather person here (Minnesota) :)

I hope there is no power on those ports, a real terminator will smoke

Power is provided by the Reciever, not the LNB. All unused ports will be unpowered.

ultatryon said:
Power is provided by the Reciever, not the LNB. All unused ports will be unpowered.

Until you incorrectly configure receiver and turn one of them on. I'm not sure that a DiseqC switch needs the unused ports terminated. A splitter certainly does. If the switch is outside it likely needs caps on the unused ports for weatherproofing. Maybe some F-connectors (with the o-ring) and the ends plugged with some silicone sealant?

A 75 ohm terminator on a powered port could theoretically give off 4W of power for a short while until you let all the smoke out of it and/or your receiver. :D

Just looking to protect the caps from moisture etc. Sorry did not know the proper terminology for this.

Iceberg said:
Tim
I didnt notice if anybody said it but

welcome :wave to SatelliteGuys...nice to have another cold weather person here (Minnesota) :)

Thanks for the welcome.

I've learned a lot from the posts and product reviews here. Good job. I'll be setting up my system before it gets too cold to be up there on the roof. I'm putting together a Fortec Ultra, SG2100 motor and a 33" dish with 0.3 lnb. Hoping to have some fun. I'm also a ham, but haven't been active in years.

mark_calgary said:
Until you incorrectly configure receiver and turn one of them on. I'm not sure that a DiseqC switch needs the unused ports terminated. A splitter certainly does. If the switch is outside it likely needs caps on the unused ports for weatherproofing. Maybe some F-connectors (with the o-ring) and the ends plugged with some silicone sealant?

A 75 ohm terminator on a powered port could theoretically give off 4W of power for a short while until you let all the smoke out of it and/or your receiver. :D

But we are talking about LNBs not DiSEqC switches or splitters..

If you have an LNB with 2 ports, but only one is connected, the other is dead, no voltage, no matter how you configure it.

Switches are on the other end of the power equation, and will spit out power, and should never have a 75ohm terminator installed, instead just an F-connector cap.

In my opinion, I would always cap off a switch, since there is electronics inside.. a splitter.. who cares about, they are cheap ;)

If I dont have a cap available, I would use a short piece of cable (like 2 inches or so), put a fitting on one end, and tape up the other end. poor mans cap!

maddawg said:
Just looking to protect the caps from moisture etc. Sorry did not know the proper terminology for this.

couple ways to do it
-terminators (as noted above). If you're worried, cut the point in the middle out of it
-or as noted above, use a crimp end and put silicone on the end of it :)

Iceberg, thanks for that idea. It is definately cheaper to use a cripped end with silicone compared to buying end caps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)