LNB Power With >250' Cable Feed

Sparkolas

Original poster
The Challenge:

Due to trees/ terrain this (Shaw Direct) install requires the dish be located 250+ feet from the receiver.

I'm a "new-be" but technically proficient. I'm not (yet) doing the install.

The installer declared - No can do.

My understanding is:
1. Digital signal loss over the run is a concern.

2. LNB power drop is a definite concern.

3. Solid copper cable beats copper-clad steel

4. RG11 cable preferred over RG6

Q1: With power available at the dish location, can the LNB be powered at the dish - using a 2nd receiver or other power source?

Q2: Can the signal from the LNB be boosted to compensate for the inevitable signal loss?

Thanks from southern Ontario

Last edited:
I'm not sure on all the technical stuff but I do know that the distance from the receiver to the LNB should 200 feet or less. I know I've heard of people having longer runs but it should stay close to 200 feet.

welcome :wave
I moved this to the Canadian TV forum so we can get ya the right info

If you need to run 250 feet you almost need to go with RG11 cable and not RG6. RG11 is a smidge thicker and will help with the long cable run

Iceberg,

On the RG11 - I am aware. Thx.

This post has sooo little to do with geography, everything to do technically.

The "Dish" forum was selected for it's high traffic, as I hoped it would get more "eyeballs".

The Canadian factor has little to no relevance.

Respectively yours, Sparkolas

Last edited:
I currently feed a pair of receivers over 400' from the LNBF's using RG11. Only difference is mine are Bell Receivers, using DPP LNBF's. So I guess I am saying that you should be fine with RG11, just make sure is is good stuff, rated for 3Ghz.

I've been to installs of 300+ ft from lnb to receiver. Like Scherrman said it isn't supposed to be over 200, but I have seen it work with little to no issues beyond that (just powered by the receiver and using rg6).

I am also not saying it's guaranteed to work beyond that, but it's definitely possible.

I have a dish 1000.2 with 450' of clad rg6. I have no issues other then tuner 2 having a lower signal than tuner 1 (due to the dpp separator and tuner 2 using higher frequency's) that was solved by adding a amp.

I also decided to go with individual lnb's and a dpp44 switch so to not tax the power supply in the receiver.

Thanks - As I poked around for solid copper, it looks rare and expensive.

I'm going to push these guy's to try harder. Mount & point the dish, run the RG6 on the ground and try the darn thing. If it doesn't work, leave the hardware and I'll make it work.

Question for "the mack": If one was to toss an amp into the mix - What amps are worthy?

Regards,

Sparkolas

RG6 at 100 feet is still good depending on your signal trees ect.
You can get a preamp they install as close to the LNB as you can. Usually they pull the power off the same cable, around 18 volts, its there for things like a motor drive.
Not all receivers have power, and you can add power if needed, so I cant speak for bell but the FTA ones, are pretty much are all powered.(I assume bell is too)
This makes it easy, as you don't need to run a separate power line. plug and play.

Just did an installation yesterday with 225' of RG6 from DP LNBF to a 4 way Splitter, feeding 4 banks of DP34's. Still have 100% on all TP's.

Hi Sparkolas,

I've been down this same road so check this out as a decent reference. (It's even farther => there's photos too!) I started out as a technically competent noob as well.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300

For Shaw Direct any decent RG6 Quad Shield Copper Clad Steel core will work at 250+ feet as long as you use first rate connectors and a continuous feed from the LNB into a Multiswitch or Receiver. You will certainly get a good performance boost by going to the Larger Dish & related LNB. There is no need to add in amplifiers and splitters are a definite no.

If you reply with questions I can certainly chime in to assist. ;)

Jim,

Much thanks.......I think. Just kidding, as I lost an afternoon in your West-Coast cottage exploits. Impressive.

If I recall, there was - at one point - regular dual shield RG6 used on these long runs; How did the signals fair then?

By-the-by: When the installer came to setup my Shaw Direct dish, to check the sat visibility he whipped out his cell, clicked on the appropriate app and viola! He showed me where we had to shoot for!

Regards,

Sparkolas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)