LNB Power With >250' Cable Feed

Hi again Sparkolas,

Yes it is a long thread to read but everything was researched in depth and recorded. So there's no bull - just the facts with real data and photos.

The Dual Shield RG6 Copper Clad Steel Core works absolutely fine. The proof is in the final results. Quad Core would be superior, especially if the cables had to run adjacent to a power line or some other "noise" source. But buried in their own conduit, continuous with no splices from LNB to Multiswitch, there was no issue for 345+ Feet. And then the neighbor went another 270 feet into his 630.

If I was to do it over, I'd got with the 75e Dish/LNB right away. :D The improvement in signal quality and strength makes it a no brainer. And I would have taught my neighbor how to install the PPC Aquatight EX6XLWS compression connectors.

I was up there 2 weeks ago on business, but I stayed in a hotel in Kamloops instead of "opening up" the winterized Cabin for just one night. I did check the Cabin out and talked to the neighbor about how the system was working for him. He said the install is rock solid. He did have an issue with a 630 but Shaw replaced it - no problem. He did say there's something strange going on as his Main TV cuts out every time his wife uses the Microwave. :rolleyes: I didn't have the heart to suggest it could be the cheap pink RG59 single shield he used inside his walls to his 630...:eek:

Jim,

You might consider suggesting to your neighbour to clad his microwave in tin-foil....har har..

Glad to hear the Dual clad will cut it. Saves me the hassel of sourcing Quad - of which I certainly don't need 1000' - the stanadard roll size.

This whole exercise is quite similar to mine in that this property, composed of two dwellings ~125' apart; a chalet and the big house - a renovated barn. The barn is up for sale, where my dear friends currently reside, hoping once they unload the place to move into the recently up-graded chalet.

The similarity exists where whoever takes over the "barn" will be in the same fix; the only sat sight-line is off the chalet - a shared 25' tower off the side. That goes for television or internet. Mind you, I could probably swing Rogers internet with boosters...antennas, etc.

Back to your dh.ca posting;

"Mom asked me to re-configure the set up so she could have the 605 Receiver in her room instead of the current "parallel" feed via a multiplexed output from the main TV's 630."

" So Mom said if you can't get it to work can she at least go back to the parallel feed?"

Did you ever figure out what the issue was?

Regards, Michael

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

Unfortunately I never had the time / tools to figure it out. (There's always something else to do there in the Summer. :D:D) It's quite a bizarre problem.

IMHO there is probably a drywall nail piercing the cable and partially shorting the conductors. It's the cable from the Media Panel I put in the back bedroom to the New Master Bedroom. (All internal feeds are home runs back to the Media Panel.)

It's weird that the cable will carry the multiplexed feed but not the raw signal from the Multiswitch. I'll probably try to get it sorted this summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)