LNB Strenght Indicator Bar Blinking Between 00% and 76% On Antenna Setting Screen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Trying to scan any Satelltes and noticed that in the Antenna Setting window screen, the Strenght bar is alternating from 00% to 76% nonstop. Is this an indication that ALL of my LNBF are failing or something else is causing this to happen.

Have cleaned and checked all the coax cable connections, they all seem OK, no corrosion or humidity is present. This anomoly is happening with and at ALL the dish.....Never experienced this problem before.

As always any suggestions or advice is welcomed.

Sounds like a failing power source, bad switch or damaged tuner.

What is the voltage reading on the coax line?

Brian,.... this is doing the same thing with both receivers the microHD as well as the X2 premium, have not checked the voltages as of yet will do that tpmorrow and will report the findings.

Even though the strenght indicator is still blinking from 00% to 76%, both receivers are able to scan satellites, might have to peak the dishes but still am getting channels scanned.

Thanks

I suggest that you list the equipment you are using in your signature at the bottom of the page. That will give us some idea of what you are using.

You say you have 2 receivers? How are they connected, ie, both connected and using a switch or just switching the coax from one to the other?

What LNBF?

On both receivers? .... My money is on a faulty switch or compromised coax/connector. Bypass the switches and see if Signal Level continues fluctuating with a direct connection between the receiver and the LNB(f). If still fluctuating, check a direct connect with a temp coax run.

Yep I say the switch has a failing port....have had the same thing happen to me and it was a switch both times.

If it only happens when looking at particular non-video transponders, you may just be receiving a data signal.

I had thought of this also but he said that it was on ALL satellites. I've seen a bunch of TPs that do that too and yes sometimes data it isn't a continuous signal.

There probably is one or two strong data transponders on every satellite. It was just how he said he saw this in the "Antenna Setting" window that made me think of data tps. On that window and the TP window is where you see the oscillating data tps. He didn't mention seeing on the viewing screen as he viewed signals that had locked and scanned in. What's that theory....Occam's Razor? The simplest proposed solution to a problem may be the correct one. You can't get simpler than discovering there isn't any problem to solve.

Took a voltage reading of the coax at the dish area, using two diplexers and a ChannelMaster multiswitch 4x4 and read 17.40V, and 11.70V.

Right now with no switches inline, still having the same signal strenght indication as before...Once the satellite is scanned the signal strenght bar is rock solid.

The $69.99 dish special, the GeoSatpro CK1 (using the "C" band side only) and the X2 Premium are scanning some channels from the upper satellites as if the dish slightly moved with all the high wind and rain we have experienced in the past few days. So maybe that could be part of the problem I have been having.

The free commercial KU dish is doing great, pointed at Galaxy19, very happy camper.

Will have to wait a bit longer before any tweaking on the rest of the system can be done. In the meatime have to do with what I have working now.

Thanks for all the input, very much appreciated.

How do I go about posting my equipment/hardware at the required area.

Thanks

P.S forgot to mention that I am using only one receiver at the time.

Top of any screen...
click: Settings
Left side of new screen...
click: Edit my Signature
Dont put your life story there.
Just a short list of what you are actively using now.
All your dishes in storage, or all the receivers you ever owned are not helpful.
And making it one font smaller than normal would help, too. ;)

It has not rain in my part of the woods for a day and a half so took advantage and try to tweek the $69.99 dish special to see if I would correct the problem with the blinking signal strenght bar....I beleive that the dish declination angle might be off, and compounding the problem of receiving of some of the next extra channels from the upper value satellites.

My Latitude is 30.17 N, according to the Sadoun Declination Angle Table for this lattitude the declination angle is 4.96 degrees....What do I do with this value, subtract or add it to the 30.17N latitude degrees angle?

Stogie5150 helped me set this dish up almost three years ago, but alot of things have happened since then such as taking down the dish because of incoming Hurricanes, bumping the dish here and there, the thin dish flexing and so on...The dish needs a complete ovehaul (actually a full replacement) LOL!!!.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts