Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
We have received several batches of KU-Band LNBF samples from manufacturers to evaluate for our next generation LNBF. Decided to compare these candidates with some of the more available LNBFs currently sold in North America and the Alps Universal that I picked up in France last year. Enjoy these 5 pages of results and the final summary comparison page. I remain amazed at how a 7 year old Invacom SNH-031 continues to be the best overall performer year to year running....... Speaks volumes to the quality of build. :D

View attachment LNBF Comparison_20120405_Generic.pdf
LNBF-Comparison_20120405_Ge.jpg

Yeah I was just looking at this again real close and was going to say the same thing. I have never tried the GeoSat's, I'm needing a dual so I may give one a shot.

Last edited:
In reviewing the results I found it is strange that the JSC321s and Spitfire performed much better in a test last May. The only difference with in the testing procedure was a slight temperature increase and the dish aiming was optimized on 11842 where in the last round the aiming was optimized on 12177. I found the ESX522 to provide good overal results, but the ESX521 had an overall lackluster performance. I was also reminded that the highly rated European LNBF, the Alps was easily the worst in any performance test!

May 2011 LNBF Testing http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/256614-ku-band-lnbf-testing-results.html

We are developing sample #5 - PLL for our next product offering. Typical solid PLL performance with rock solid LO. Seeing if we can pull down the current requirements, but overall very impressed with the performance and especially the flat response throughout the band! Looks like Satellite AV will be offering the world's first Standard LO PLL LNBF! Excellent phase separation and low heat generation.

No BS marketing lies about being able to provide a 0.1dB NR.... NOT POSSIBLE!!! This will be a 0.5dB NR typical with 60dB gain. No need to lie and overstate the gain and lower the NR. PLLs are higher NR and lower gain. PERIOD.

Last edited:
Sample #4 was the only two output PLL that we received. We had not requested any two output samples as we were initially concentrating on the single port, but they threw this sample in. We are quite happy with the extraordinary stability , gain, phase and noise figures on the GEOSATpro SL2b and hadn't given much thought to offering a PLL version. The chipset for sample #5 could be integrated into a dual output design. We will need to investigate the potential market as development cost can be quite high on these custom North American Standard LO builds.

The $60 I paid for my Invacom qph-031 was worth every penny. If there is something out there for a decent price point with similar performance with the universal bandwidth that could be awesome.

Yes interested in #5 also, but single will do, like testing out new things when I can.

The $60 I paid for my Invacom qph-031 was worth every penny. If there is something out there for a decent price point with similar performance with the universal bandwidth that could be awesome.

Agreed! The QPH031 is definitely the best engineered and designed product that I have had the pleasure of helping develop and bringing to the North American market. Looking in the rear view mirror with 20/20 hindsight, who would have thought that the product weakness would be the longevity of the "UV Resistent" lens.

You have replacement caps/lenses?

So what are you saying boss? can you get us a qph-031universal if we cry loud enough? It would be nice to catch some ceil 2 when that is ITC too

No parts. We dumped Invacom as a partner many years ago because the company simply lacked integrity. Seems to be a common thread among many UK based satellite businesses..... hummmm????

You probably could get a replacement LNBF with the 5 year warranty due to the failed lens by contacting the current NA distributor.

I wouldn't count on ever getting an Invacom universal type circular / linear. The switch and LO wouldn't be supported by DBS or DSS equipment.

Very interesting results. Thanks for taking the time Brian! I purchased a QPH031 years ago so its funny too see that after all this time its still a top performer. As for the rest of the results, I think this make the Geosat pro LNBF a tough item to pass on and will be my next choice for Ku LNB.

A dual would be of interest to me also. Multiple receivers are a dream with dual LNBFs. I am another that likes my Invacom, but the price I paid was a premium. I look forward to a PLL LNBF, should be interesting.

Given the good results of the current Geosat lnbs and similar performance of say sample #5, what would be the advantage of going PLL? Does lack of drift result in any significant advantage?

First thing I thought of.....(thinking to self)>>Wouldn't PLL cause more noise? I figured this out years ago building my own repeater system. I chose to stick with a physical Crystal for the receiver and transmitter. Custom ordered from JAN Crystals. I built a PLL receiver just for experiment where I could change frequency with dip switches....but went back to Crystal Control and used that one for a back-up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)