Local Channels optional

Don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but the Guide in Dish Anywhere shows data for all the sub channels, even if they don't show it on your receiver. Does Dish Anywhere use a different source for guide data than the receivers do?

Edit: I was mistaken. The app only shows the channels that have guide data. Subchannels without guide data don't display at all. Kinda sucks.

View attachment 127384

Ahh, was wondering about that. 5.3 which is a sub channel on nbc here doesn't show on da. It's the only channel on the h3 without any guide data, it just says decades. Never watched it anyhow so nothing lost there.

Are you giving up on your HWS? :eek

Money doesn't talk, it $wears!

Payback in less than 15 months, plus added features. Plus PSIP fallback.

Baby came today. Need to go in attic and see if a district amp or splitter there has failed.

Money doesn't talk, it $wears!

Payback in less than 15 months, plus added features. Plus PSIP fallback.

Baby came today. Need to go in attic and see if a district amp or splitter there has failed.

What baby? Your newest Channel Master? I can never tell what your cryptic comments mean, but it would appear you are pointing at savings and saying "Yes, I'm leaving Dish". It wasn't just the CUI, I guess, but cold hard cash, that made you do it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not leaving Dish. Not yet, and not likely. But it has become a maybe.

CM DVR+ (baby) came today and I installed it. In the attic, before installation, I replaced a distribution amplifier and bypassed a power inserter, since I had lost OTA. This worked, as the current setup got OTA back. Later, I will determine which was bad.

With my OTA antenna about 90 degrees off, I got about 48 channels, all but one coming in perfectly.

Once I rotate to the correct heading, I expect I'll get - about 48 channels. And all coming in well. Almost all OTA comes from about the same heading from me, and not that far. The 90 degrees off was to try to get a MD station near the WV border, which never worked.

By this weekend, I will finish final setup and add an EHD for expanded DVR functions. And next week, if all goes well, I will drop locals from Dish.

After the MBR bath renovation is done, the eternal project, I'll probably move the CM to the MBR. The LR AV receiver has all three inputs full (HWS, Roku, Oppo). I'd have to use an HDMI switch, which I already have, or move it. For OTA viewing, the MBR TV is fine.

Reactions: TheKrell
I love the option to not have to buy locals. I receive about 45 channels from my OTA antenna, using the OTA adapter with my H3, which is WAY more than Dish would sell me for $10. It's a no-brainer. Now, if I could pick which DMA I wanted to get locals from, I would gladly pay $10 for that luxury. But those days are long gone.

So does that mean everyone who has removed locals has guide data for the locals?

I think the answer is "should" have guide data. I have plenty of guide data including for subchannels, but with some peculiar entries missing, e.g. the -01 channels on PBS. A post above talks about how the -01 channel is handled differently, but I failed to understand that part of our discussion. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts