Local Channels optional

Well surprise surprise. I already have G4 cards. So obviously that is not the problem. :crying

Has your contact suggested that the behavior you're seeing isn't the way it's supposed to be ? I presume so, since it's being worked on.

Has your contact suggested that the behavior you're seeing isn't the way it's supposed to be ? I presume so, since it's being worked on.

Correct; he thinks it's not the way it's supposed to work. He is diligently following up to see if he can figure out why it is doing this, so I can keep my $10/mo. :D He suggested signal strength. I'm seeing around 25 on 72.7, and around 35 on a couple of transponders on 61.5, via a 1000.4. Even if these are a tad low, the rest of the guide is coming in fine so I doubt it's a SS issue.

Not too late to get in on that Channel Master DVR* super sale!

My second one arrives tomorrow. Soon, I will save $10/month and more than pay for that CM! Might drop protection plan while I'm at it.

Did you buy the usb wifi adapter? How much was it and where did you find it? Thanks.

Wouldn’t there be DRM problems?

The FCC requires that broadcast TV remain unencrypted, so we can record OTA broadcasts all we want.

A related annoyance to me is that, when I record OTA broadcasts on my Dish receiver and move them to the EHD, they are encrypted along with all other programs I've recorded off satellite. Why is that I wonder?

The FCC requires that broadcast TV remain unencrypted, so we can record OTA broadcasts all we want.
Does that apply when the locals are provided by a 3rd party (cable, satellite, etc) vs being received OTA ? Reason I ask is I've read that cablecos have been encrypting the locals for a couple of years now, especially as they move to 100% digital systems.

A related annoyance to me is that, when I record OTA broadcasts on my Dish receiver and move them to the EHD, they are encrypted along with all other programs I've recorded off satellite. Why is that I wonder?
Likely reason is that Dish simply doesn't differentiate the channels - they're all encrypted.

Does that apply when the locals are provided by a 3rd party (cable, satellite, etc) vs being received OTA ?

Darn good question; I don't know. :( But it seems to me that, if I get my locals directly via OTA tuner, then they should remain unencrypted. They do not. If Dish would leave them unencrypted on the EHD, then we could reverse engineer the additional files that Dish puts on the EHD, e.g. program name, etc, and we could add our own programs to the EHD and get our Dish receivers to play them. :D

Add'l thoughts on this....

Just found this page related to channel encryption. The old "they can't encrypt local channels" isn't applicable anymore (just like I mentioned earlier that I thought the rule changed). They can encrypt the channels but if they do, they have to give you a set-top box or cable card for free (length of time varies).

It doesn't touch on recording or storing these channels. They only talk about the ability to receive the channels.

They can encrypt the channels but if they do, they have to give you a set-top box or cable card for free (length of time varies).

What broadcast channel is going to do that for all their viewers? :confused:

A case in point about encryption. Comcast had all of their channels, except locals, encrypted. With that scenario I was able to split my internet signal and get the locals on my TV without a cable box. Then, they encrypted the locals as well. There went that freebie.... So, as we can see, third parties can encrypt OTA signals....

Don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but the Guide in Dish Anywhere shows data for all the sub channels, even if they don't show it on your receiver. Does Dish Anywhere use a different source for guide data than the receivers do?

Edit: I was mistaken. The app only shows the channels that have guide data. Subchannels without guide data don't display at all. Kinda sucks.

IMG_0039.jpg

Don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but the Guide in Dish Anywhere shows data for all the sub channels, even if they don't show it on your receiver. Does Dish Anywhere use a different source for guide data than the receivers do?
Great! So now all we have to do is get the Dish Anywhere guide to show up on our receivers, even if we don't have the receivers connected to the internet, and the problem with missing OTA guide data will finally be fixed. :D

Edit: Never mind. I just saw your edit above.

The app only shows the channels that have guide data. Subchannels without guide data don't display at all. Kinda sucks.

Huh. I have AT250 and all my guide data, including satellite-delivered locals (to which I no longer subscribe) and OTA locals and subchannels, are there. Just like comfortably_numb.
Huh ? Why change the focus ? This is about satellite and/or cable providers.

"They" != Local stations

Because the thread is about local channels optional. :D

Huh. I have AT250 and all my guide data, including satellite-delivered locals (to which I no longer subscribe) and OTA locals and subchannels, are there. Just like comfortably_numb.

Because the thread is about local channels optional. :D

In the Dish Anywhere app, all subnets without guide data are missing. At least they are for me.

Reactions: TheKrell