Local HD Dilemma

PWGuy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
SE New Mexico
I have been able to receive CBS-HD for some time from Los Angeles. I have gotten pretty hooked on it.

Imagine my delight to find that all the big four locals in my market (Albuquerque) would be among the first in the country to be available in HD. Especially nice in that I live in a small town in a small market.

I ordered the 622 at the first possible moment, installed it myself, and got the HD locals up with no problem. Unfortunately KRQE, the Albuquerque CBS affiliate, is still not up in HD. Very strange to me, as I used to work for a CBS affiliate and we actually wanted people to watch. Guess the business has changed a lot.

So the irony is the only one of the four major networks I received in HD before, is the only one I can not receive now.

I have been trying to wait it out, but with no indication of an agreement being imminent and with football season coming up, I have been considering adding the equipment for a fourth satellite. It seems inordinately expensive and I am wondering if I am missing some simpler way to do the job.

When I got my 622 I moved the Dish 300 I had at 148 to 129 for the local HD. I also have a Dish 500 at 110 and 119. Best I can tell, my alternative for getting 110, 119, 129 and 148 is to replace the Dish 500 with a Dish 1000 for 110, 119 and 129, move my Dish 300 to 148 and get a DP Plus 44 switch to replace my DP21 switches. This would cost around $300 and my CBS local would probably become available the next day. Any better ideas?

I own all my own equipment and am not interested in having anybody mess with it.

They didn't upgrade you to the Dish 1000 when you got the 622? They upgraded me to a 1000, and a DPP44 switch so I could keep the 61.5 just for the CBS-HD feed.

codee said:
They didn't upgrade you to the Dish 1000 when you got the 622? They upgraded me to a 1000, and a DPP44 switch so I could keep the 61.5 just for the CBS-HD feed.

They have never done anything for me. I have always owned and installed all my equipment. I guess this situation shows the downside of that, but it is still the way I like to do it.

"..they actually liked people to watch"
Well, that usually means higher rates = more income from sponsors. HD is not a money maker as yet and the ads only support the SD, although that is changing.

It can cost a mint to add HD. Sure, the network receiver is free to affiliates, but if the affiliate does not already have a CBS Digital rack for the ntsc feeds, they have to add that and parts of that is their own cost. With HD there is also the HD switcher, and a way to get it to the transmitter and your bill just to add HD to your digital is way over $100,000. The FCC only requires that you have a digital signal on the air at full power, not the format.

While competition can drive this in most markets, money can speak louder than words. But with CBS being on top, there should be plenty of income at the station to allow this addition. I would expect they are headed in that direction.

I currently work for a NBC affiliate station and provided tech support for a CBS affiliate, both in the same building and engineering is common to both. (Shared Services)

CBS in Albuquerque is broadcasting HD OTA, but they are holding up the link to DishNetwork for pecuniary remuneration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)