Local Station Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alan0541

I am considering a Satellite system. Primarily for High Definition. I would also like to be able to view Local Memphis stations in Little Rock (150 miles west of Memphis). Is Dish Network a better solution than DireectTV and is it even possible for me to sign up for local Memphis stations on either Dish or DirectTv?

You get virtually the same local channels on either system. Click here for a side-by-side comparison of the local channel offerings.

You will not be able to receive Memphis locals in Little Rock. You are in the Little Rock DMA and thus will be able to receive only locals from the general Little Rock area. The locals you would be able to get are compared here.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. What is DMA? Are you saying it is not technically possible or against the rules for me to provide a Memphis address and get Memphis channels as opposed to Little Rock channels?

Power cord connections

I often have to make my own power cords for my shop. Here is a simple question that really bugs me. When connecting the plugs to a 3-wire cable, which pole receives the hot wire (black). Is the it the wide pole or the narrow pole? I will record the answer in my "how to" journal. Thanks muchly. JB

Alan0541 said:
I apologize in advance for my ignorance. What is DMA? Are you saying it is not technically possible or against the rules for me to provide a Memphis address and get Memphis channels as opposed to Little Rock channels?

Ah ha. That's a different story. DMA stands for Designated Market Area. DISH and DirecTV are prohibited from providing local channels to another market's customers. If you plan to have the system installed by the provider, you will have to provide a correct address. Then, you can do what is referred to as a "move" in which you call the provider and inform them of your "new" address. Then, you will receive the local channels from your "new" market. You can keep the billing address as your "old" address. Note that if you ever need a service call, you will have a problem. Here is a side-by-side comparison of the locals avaible in Memphis.

Jacob Block said:
I often have to make my own power cords for my shop. Here is a simple question that really bugs me. When connecting the plugs to a 3-wire cable, which pole receives the hot wire (black). Is the it the wide pole or the narrow pole? I will record the answer in my "how to" journal. Thanks muchly. JB

What the heck does that have to do with this thread?

Are the local channels for Little Rock and Memphis all on the same satellite or would the dish have to be re-aimed to receive Memphis channels in Little Rock?

chaddux said:
What the heck does that have to do with this thread?
Or this forum, or even this board, for that matter. Try asking in the Chit Chat Club forum on here or on an electricians bulletin board.

Alan0541 said:
Are the local channels for Little Rock and Memphis all on the same satellite or would the dish have to be re-aimed to receive Memphis channels in Little Rock?
It's not really as simple as that... short answer, though, is yes, they are mostly on the same satellite (EchoStar 8 at 110). However...

Memphis locals are on a spotbeam transponder, but it looks like Little Rock is in the footprint, so you should be able to see them (check here and look at the '9' circle). The UPN (WLMT 30) is at 61.5, though, so if you want that one you'll need to re-aim your second dish. What second dish, you ask? Two of the Little Rock locals (KTVN 25 and KYPX 49) are at 148 so you'll probably get a dish installed for those. However, there is new legislation going through the approval process that would force Dish Network to give you all your locals on one dish, so both of those DMAs would be affected if the new bill is approved.

But, the simplest answer is, if you can verify that you are in spotbeam 9, you can receive all of the Memphis stations except the UPN, and those would come in on your regular Dish500 dish looking at 110 and 119.

I know I am getting to be a pain on this but where can I find the same type of footprint graphic for DirectTV? The UPN station happens to be the one I would be most interested in. If DirectTV provides all stations on the same satellite for Little Rock and Memphis that would appear to be my best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)