Locals on 72...

herzmeh

Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
For various reasons, I'm able to get marginal LOS to 61.5 where my locals are and no LOS to the WA.

I also see that my locals are mirrored on the 72. Is it possible to convince Dish to authorize my receiver to get locals off that bird? I believe they're there for the now defunct (?) Distant Locals Service, but since they're my local channels anyway... I tried chat, but they had no idea...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

That's not how getting channels works. There is no authorization to use a particular satellite. Any channel you are supposed to get can be from any satellite that has it. It's more how you handle getting the satellite you want. If you are sure your locals (I assume you want HD) are available in HD on 72 you need to block 61.5 and reset the receiver so it scans the available satellites. It will see 72 and not 61.5 and if your locals are in use on 72 you will get them. Of course you will not get any other channels on 61.5 if there are any others in your package.
I didn't see any locals in HD on 72 after a quick look.

Last edited:
If they are meant to be Distants only, his receiver might be blocked from receiving it from 72. DIRT might be able to get an exception made, but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

NYC locals. I was hoping for an exception since those channels are my DMA channels anyway...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Those channels are not for anyone, they are the old Distant Channels that DISH no longer provides. They are CONUS and I can bet about anything you want they are not turning on CONUS beams for one person. That's the reason I said I don't see any HD locals, there really are not. Try re-aiming your DISH for 61.5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)