Locals on HD only vs SD receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
Considering switching to Direct. I've been on their website and pretended to go through the motions of signing up by choosing a package and receivers (1 hd dvr, 1 hd and 1 sd receiver). First question, will the sd-only receiver be able to receive my locals even though they are only in hd and are on sat. 99. Second question, when punching in my zip code, it says I would receive local channels in 2 different markets (I border 2 states).....I've never heard of this?

Considering switching to Direct. I've been on their website and pretended to go through the motions of signing up by choosing a package and receivers (1 hd dvr, 1 hd and 1 sd receiver). First question, will the sd-only receiver be able to receive my locals even though they are only in hd and are on sat. 99.
If you are in the Wausau market those locals are only in HD and you are considered a MPEG4 only market. You order SD receivers (and pay that way) and you get upgraded to HD model. You do not get a SD receiver...So you do the free DVR & HD receiver, add the SD receiver for free and you end up with 2 HD receivers and a DVR for free :)
If you want extra receivers down the road they are $69 & $99 (for the SD receiver & DVR) yet you get upgraded to the HD version ;)

Second question, when punching in my zip code, it says I would receive local channels in 2 different markets (I border 2 states).....I've never heard of this?

it depends on county. What locals does it give you when you select the options? I know here in MN we have a weird area near Mankato. Mankato actually is in 3 counties
Blue Earth (main) gets CBS Mankato (only station in market), ABC, NBC, Fox Minneapolis, National PBS
Nicollet gets all Mpls locals and CBS Mankato as SV (the CBS studios are in this county)
Le Seuer county only gets Minneapolis

so literally at one intersection depending on what side of the road I'm on I get different locals

Thanks Ice for the info. on the receiver question. If you see this post, this is my zip code I've entered into Directv's website that is telling me I would get both minneapolis and lacrosse locals....... 54759. Any thoughts?

damn you do...but your primary market is LaCrosse/Eau Claire which is also a MPEG4 market so the equipment rules above do apply
The Mpls locals are gravy (sig viewed)...but it looks like they are only available to you in SD

yes you do get both markets

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts