Longest Cable Run you've heard of

Status
Please reply by conversation.

getlostonpurpose

Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
GA
Hello all,

I am going crazy in the small town I moved to. Bought this huge new TV and the local cable provider doesn't provide HD service to the area. I ordered Direct TV and the installers were here this morning but I've got a line of site issue. My property is surrounded by HUGE pecan trees. The lot is large and the closest point I can get a pole mounted dish installed is about 250' away. And to even get it there I'll have to go under or through my driveway.

What's the longest cable run you've heard of working with no problems. I have a 500' spool of RG 6 but will return it for RG 6U if that will make a difference. The installer said they recommend no more that 150' but manufacturers recommendations have never stopped me before!

Thanks a lot!
Drew

I've seen 250 feet easily...in the free to air area folks have done a 300 foot run with very little issues....and FTA is KU band with lower satellite power

250 feet you should be fine....If you go beyond that I would recommend RG11 cable

I agree with ICE, but if it were me I'd go ahead and run the RG11 that way if I did have any type of reception issues I could rule out the cable for the most part.

yep, i just talked with another local installer and he said RG 11 as well. Headin over to eBay now to check prices!

Make sure to get Outdoor/Direct Burial (gel filled) cable. Certainly if you are going under your driveway...wouldn't wanna do that again in 3-4 months...good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts