Looking for a 100 mile HD UHF VHF Antenna

From my testing at my location (which is fairly flat, without any huge trees immediately nearby), a Winegard YA-1713 (for VHF-high) and an Antennas Direct 91XG (for UHF) will receive most stations down to about -9.0dB NM (sometimes even a little lower) on my TVFool report with no amplifier, if mounted outside at chimney height (maybe 20 feet above ground). This is somewhat down into the grey part of my TVFool listing. That antenna combination is often recommended for deep fringe situations, and it would look exactly like the photo in post #17 by No Static At All. If you do not have any nearby stations to cause an overload situation, adding an amplifier might help further. Kitztech just came out with their new very-low-noise (0.4 dB)amplifier, but I haven't heard any test results yet. Research Communications in the United Kingdom also has some very-low-noise amps (also 0.4 db), although those are more expensive. Many people in rural areas have good success with the Channel Master 7777 amp. So, depending on how far down those 89-mile Chicago stations are on your TVFool report, you might have a chance (perhaps they might come in better at night than in the daytime).

See the links below:

Antennas Direct 91XG UHF TV Antenna (91XG) - Antennas Direct - 91XG - 853748001910
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000 10 El. Hi-Band VHF TV Antenna (YA-1713) - Winegard - YA-1713 - 615798304867
Ultimate Television Antenna Signal Booster! Guaranteed!
HDTV Low Noise Amplifiers and Preamplifiers, Preamps, NF 0.4 dB - Research Communications Ltd UK
Channel Master CM 7777 Titan 2 VHF/UHF TV Antenna Preamplifier with Power Supply High Gain Mast Mount CM7777 Booster Pre-Amplifier Off-Air HDTV Amp Local Signal Aerial Antenna Booster, Part # 7777: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture,

i am using a winegard 9058p (i think thats the model). its a high gain yagi.
it works well for stations 60 miles away. i am using rg-11 quad coax, blonder tongue preamp and a cheap radioshack vhf antenna fed into the vhf coupling box.

works well for me with 6 tv's split off

I am trying to understand all of this and am having many questions. Please let me ask a few basic ones to get started. Lets say I wanted to get WGN-DT and was within range, do I need a VHF antenna to get channel 9 or do I need an UHF antenna due to it saying it is now channel 19???? I f I could get WGN, does that mean I would also get the .2, .3, .4 or how many ever of the extra channels come with WGN??

You have to go by what digital channel they are broadcasting from. In most cases dont look at the "normal" channel. The digital channel is what you need to go by. The TV/converter box uses PSIP to give it the "virtual" number that we all know.

Go to tvfool.com and put in your address. It will show which stations are closest and what the virtual numbers are and what antenna would work

As an example here is my tvfool report (part of it)
KARE11 broadcasts on 11 still so thats VHF (as is 9)
But if you look at WCCO they are on 32 (UHF) but it "maps" to 4 (their old analog number)..same with KSTP5..the digital channel is UHF but they "map" back to a VHF number

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 200
To answer the other questions
-WGN cant get picked up in Indy ;)
-any subchannels on the station when you scan for channels it will pick them up and show as XX-2, XX-3 etc

There is a 9.2 but I don't think it has anything to do with WGN, it's all cheesy Latino programing.

Channels out of Chicago are UHF with the exception of CBS channel 2.

I'm about 60 miles SE of Chicago and of course I get all the stations easily. Indy is a bit over 150 miles south of me and I get most of your stations from 2 am to 10 am.

WGN is a very strong station and a good antenna setup might be able to pull it in as far as Lafayette but I'd have to say not a chance for Indy.

I have a RCA stick antenna up on tower and get 100Miles here

Hello I get with a RCA stick antenna 100miles here in Louisiana
and the RCA stick antena works iv even goten futher as well when the Band is open try it,Iv got one here and it works for me at that distance,
beaing a Ham radio operator here I know and Look at How hi you can get it up as well mine is at 30Feet on side of tower leg and Iv got in to mexico from here and canada and Loged stations from all over the Gulf coast as well with it.

it has a Pre amp of 18Db and will work fine
if you dont have trees youll see it happen for you.
Pine tres eat up UHF signals.

Armourplate:)

RCA stick antenna iv Logged over 100Miles

Get it as Hi as you can and get a Lot of elements on Uhf for deep fringe
it will pay off and a preamp from BLonder Toung
and it have a tuneable gain.
if you can get a 30Db amp youll be doing good.

How hi can you put one up at Home?
if you go 50or 60Feet yull be in the Money and if you can go for 80 yo 100feet it will pay off.

I can get New orleans here and its 87 miles from me and evea
get 120miles away from me as well, and the crazy thing im at 30feet on my ham tower and my ASL is at 69 feet here in Louisiana.
and WWL is on UHF here and it doing it.

I hope it helps.
armourplate:)

Thank you for everyone that helped on my part of the question. I am impressed you would be able to get anything from Indianapolis since you are not far from Chicago....I'm guessing Lake or northern Newton county Indiana area...maybe. Are you able to pull Milwaukee or South Bend? Just wondering as it sounds like you have an impressive antenna.

I will probably be moving up to the South Bend area(though most likely not South Bend itself). I figure with an antenna I could get South Bend and Ft Wayne, but would really like a shot at Chicago, Milwaukee and Detroit if that would be possible. I will ask more questions as I figure out exactly what my objectives are.

There is a 9.2 but I don't think it has anything to do with WGN, it's all cheesy Latino programing.

Channels out of Chicago are UHF with the exception of CBS channel 2.

I'm about 60 miles SE of Chicago and of course I get all the stations easily. Indy is a bit over 150 miles south of me and I get most of your stations from 2 am to 10 am.

WGN is a very strong station and a good antenna setup might be able to pull it in as far as Lafayette but I'd have to say not a chance for Indy.

I'm at the south end of Porter County. All the South Bend channels come in very strong. I've had very little luck with Wisconsin and there are some channels up that way I'd really like to get. When conditions are right I can pull them in along with some channels out of the Quad Cities area but nothing reliable.
Chicago and South Bend give me a ton of channels and being on different time zones makes it better yet. South and South/West during the night are good for killer distances, KY has popped up a few times. Oddly Indy is like clockwork from 2 am to 10 am. Channel 6 and 13 are reliable, 23 (wyndy?) seems to be a bit weaker.
East is pretty much dead. I've tried to get Fort Wayne but never picked up anything and it's closer than Indy.

Have you tried to pull in the Louisville area?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)