Looking for a receiver to do some recording

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have an htpc setup with a vp-1020a, its alot of fun to play around with but its not ready for primetime.

the 1020 doesnt support a motor in factory kernel, I have a patch that I apply to enable motor functions. the 1020 doesnt output alot of current and the motor is alot slower then compared to my dreambox 7000. Mythtv doesnt seem todo the usals calculations right so either ends of the arc are poor signal. and amazingly enough mythtv allows you to use stored positions, but doesnt give you a way of storing the positions, so you need to use another ird, store all the positions then enter them one by one into myth, very cumbersom. the 1020 doesnt have blindscan either, so many people end up converting a channel list from another ird and importing it into mysql for myth to use. as far as I know the skystar v2.3 is the only dvb with blindscan and I dont know if there are any linux apps for it or not, the v2.3 is darn near impossible to come by.

I never bought the dvb card to replace any irds, their incredibly cheap ($65cdn on ebay) and ALOT of fun tinkering around with.

I have had a lot of luck with mine (I have a twinhan 1025a) and the only problem I have had is the files it outputs are not mpeg2 compliant.

I currently have my htpc locked on g10r and it tapes what I want it to daily. I am using the included software (twinhan) however I have worked with several others (so far my favorite is GB-PVR although I havent gotten it to run 100% reliable yet).

All things considered its working pretty well, my only problem is that I need to find a cheap deal on a terrabyte or so of drive space (I have 1 terrabyte already and its almost full)

With all that said, it stinks if the twinhan is your only card (due to the reasons cited in earlier posts). I like mine but I am glad to have my satworks as well.

I know the dreambox save's its recordings as a .ts, transport stream, its basically an mpeg file with some extra goodies that make other apps thiink its not an mpeg file.

I use mpeg2vcr (http://www.womble.com/) sometimes to cut commercials out, but it will also read the .ts and convert them to .mpg so other apps will use it, its quite small and takes a little learning the shortcuts, but is very fast and effective. wouldnt hurt to try it on the oem twinhan software's recordings and see.

I havent used windows for my twinhan in years, but I hear MyTheatre is quite good.

the thing about dvb cards are that their cheap and alot of fun, even if it is just for tinkering around. you can pick up a 1025 for like $55cdn on ebay.

Das Hammer said:
Ok, maybe I'll give the HTPC thing a whirl. Thinking DVB World box.

I think you will be WELL happy with the DVB World USB box!

I KNOW I am, good decision :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts