Looking for ideas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Splicer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
OK, I bought a DLP TV off craigslist for super cheap. Beautiful picture But I have 1 problem that for the life of me I cannot seem to figure out an answer for. The TV has built-in ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners (dual tuners) and I have cable connected to ANT. 1 and my antenna connected to ANT. 2, and everything tunes in. The problem however is ANT 2.

I get every channel via ANT. 2 as I got using my LG 3510a, and actually, the channels come in stronger. Now here is what has me flabergasted; WHIO is a CBS channel out of Dayton. We normally watch this channel in the afternoons to watch 'Ellen' as my wife and daughter (and me to an extent) find it a good show. Funny stuff. Anyway, the TV gets CH7-1 with a beautiful picture, but I get no audio at all. Nothing. Now every other channel, and I do mean EVERY other channel, I get perfect audio, and this includes CH7-2, WHIO's sub channel.

I have emailed WHIO's chief engineer and nothing he has suggested works. Naturally, I have an idea on how to make everything work as it is supposed to, and have already tried every combination I can think of, including, but not limited to, swapping the tuner inputs, making new cables, etc... to no avail.

When I disconnect the TV and connect my LG 3510a (which isn't what I want to do) I get CH7-1 audio flawlessly. So it isn't an antenna issue, cable issue, or a setting issue that I can think of. I have narrowed it down (thru the process of elimination) to being either a defective tuner (unlikely I'm thinking because both tuners act the same way) or most likely a firmware or software issue.

I have checked with Toshiba and there have been no SW or FW updates ever issued, which leads me to believe that I'm wrong and the issue is with the tuner. If so, I have found a place I can buy a new tuner from easily enough and I can install it myself no problem, but before I spend the money, I am wondering if the dual tuner is actually only 1 tuner that is controlled by the TV computer memory or if it is actually 2 physical tuners. Does anyone here know what the normal procedure is for a dual tuner system? Personally I would think 2 physical tuners.

This is everything, does anyone have any ideas? I'm so flabergasted trying figure this out I'm at a standstill.

I knew exactly what the deal was when I gave the few dollars to the seller. I was well aware that some additional money would be necessary. This was a bargain buy that was too good to pass up. The audio missing from one OTA ATSC channel is hardly anything to be overly concerned with. I am just not understanding the reason for this anomaly.

I hope I am taking the tone of your reply wrong, as the way I read it, you are doing nothing more than being a smartass. I posted full information on the problem and asked if anyone had an idea or had any actual knowledge on tuners. Obviously you had neither yet you still decided to make a comment that had nothing to do with the topic.

I have a brand new (for arguments sake) 56" DLP television for a total, including purchase price, of $111.09, for a TV that cost $1600 and sells today for well over $800. The piddly audio issue is only relevant to me and the original owner had no idea because she had it connected to cable the entire time. I am the first one to connect an antenna.

So since there is no help available here, or elswhere on the net, I will proceed as I always do and learn firsthand. So boba, feel free if you have anything to add that may help me with my query. However if all you have to add is more of what you already posted, feel free to not post anything.

Back in the old days of ATSC broadcasts (3 years ago) occasionally a stations PSIP computer would go on the fritz and certain tuners either would lose the channel entirely or would lose audio or video.

Has the station re-checked the status of it's PSIP computer, or rebooted it recently.

In other words, since only one OTA channel is effected, it is probably a station problem, not yours and they may not acknowledge that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)