Looking for low budget G extension idea

Allin4greeN

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Lancaster County
I recently got my parents to take their network wireless (G via Linksys WRT54GS). While I sold them on the benefits of being "mobile," I of course was secretly and selfishly thinking about connecting to their network while visiting and without being tethered to a hard line. I figured we could both benefit :D

Well, when I set their router up I didn't really take into account the size difference between their house and my apartment. That is, I'm accustomed to being able to roam all over my 1000 sq ft pad without problems. Meanwhile, the 'rent's place is roughly 4x the sq footage and thus... I've got range connectivity problems.

I've looked at wireless extenders but, they're ~$100 and I've seen high gain antenna kits for a little under half that price but, I'm wondering if there are any hints, tips or tricks that might be used before I spring for equipment upgrades. Here's what I've tried so far...

I've elevated the router and positioned, repositioned and then repositioned the antennae again to try and aim them toward areas where I'd like coverage. This had little to no effect. I've also tried adjusting the frequency up and down from ~2.1Ghz - ~2.46Ghz. Best results seemed to be at lower frequencies but, again, little to no appreciable difference.

The home is circa 1960's ranch style w/stone masonry exterior and drywall interior. The router is in a home office/utility room located on the opposite wall from a kitchen. Lot's of metal objects in the kitchen, of course but, that's where their computer and modem is.

Ideally, I'd just like to get a decent signal from the basement, which is only about 50'-60' away. It's down a set of concrete steps from the home office.

So any thought on this? If not, has anyone used high gain antennae and seen significant improvements? Last resort will be the extender, anyone have experience with one of those?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

For what its worth I use a D-Link DI-624 wireless router with an added 4dBi antenna (they make higher and lower) in a near 4,000 sq home with the ability to receive great signals throughout the home's interior and out on the patio/deck as well. I mounted the antenna as center most in the home as possible, upside down from the ceiling. You can find extension cables just about anywhere and the total cost for my cable and antenna was less than $35. The 7dBi models may be just what you need IMHO.

For what its worth I use a D-Link DI-624 wireless router with an added 4dBi antenna (they make higher and lower) in a near 4,000 sq home with the ability to receive great signals throughout the home's interior and out on the patio/deck as well. I mounted the antenna as center most in the home as possible, upside down from the ceiling. You can find extension cables just about anywhere and the total cost for my cable and antenna was less than $35. The 7dBi models may be just what you need IMHO.
Brilliant! I'm going to give this a try.

I found it at Amazon with a $20 rebate. Shouldn't cost me more than $17 delivered!

EDIT: I got so excited about finding a good deal, I forgot about an extension cable... I have some RG6 laying around, could I pick up some TNC connectors and use them to cobble together an extension cable? I'm not sure how much signal I'd lose though...

Thanks, charper1!

Last edited:
Picked up the 7dBi model and opted for the super thrifty shipping (free) so, I probably won't be getting it installed until the end of the month. I'll check back in and post my results.

Thanks again, charper1.

I had a similar problem here. I tried the range extenders and even a dual AP but had too many compatibility issues. I ended up with a larger antenna on one AP. Now I can roam all over the house and even around the pool out back with good signal. The two new antennas are about 10" long vs the short ones that come standard. I also mounted the AP router up high near the ceiling and in the clear.

Update

I had a chance to install the D-Link 7dBi antenna last night and here are some results, along with an embarrassing epiphany...

Without using an extension cable, I am now able to connect to the AP, albeit with a very low signal strength, in the basement!

Here's the embarrassing part, I think the wireless network is experiencing interference from a Panasonic wireless phone system that is operating in the 2.4GHz range... Wish I had checked that out before. My temporary solution was to switch over to B-Only Mode at the lowest available frequency (2.412GHz). I don't know if there's a reason why this should work better than Mixed or G-Only Mode but, it seems to be doing the trick.

The phone system is probably going to be upgraded in the next several months anyway so, I'm going to wait until that happens before seeing if I need to install an extension cable for better access throughout the home. At that point, I might resurrect this thread to inquire about making my own cable with some RG6 or 58 and SMA/TNC connectors. I'm not sure about any impedance or polarity issues if I make my own cable.

I'd love to hear any additional comments you folks might have and, thanks again!

I've seen alot of wireless routers located in basements in more current style homes near your parents size place and it worked well. I've also seen the wireless located in the attic wich also seemed to give outdoor access a better signal. Various adapters will have various results, are you using an older laptop that doesnt have built in wifi? Motorola's adapater worked great for me when I had a working laptop.

I've seen alot of wireless routers located in basements in more current style homes near your parents size place and it worked well. I've also seen the wireless located in the attic wich also seemed to give outdoor access a better signal. Various adapters will have various results, are you using an older laptop that doesnt have built in wifi? Motorola's adapater worked great for me when I had a working laptop.
My laptop's an older Gateway model that doesn't have built-in wireless so, I added a PCMCIA card. The USB ports aren't 2.0 so, I was a little leary about using a USB adapter.

So far it seems to be working out. I'll probably buy them a new phone system in the 5.8 GHz range and see what the reults are afterwards. If signal strength is still "in the basement," so to speak, I'll look at moving the AP or antenna location.

I've read where some people have stuck a sheet of foil like a reflector behind their omni antenna and got a bit better coverage (I even saw it on tv). You could try a satellite dish reflector pan behind it too. Maybe that in combination with a bigger omni would greatly extend your coverage. That makes it more of a directional antenna when you do that though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)