Status
Not open for further replies.

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
looking for comments on tvs around the 3000 dollar mark, dlp or lcd. 55 inch or bigger please. what would you recommend?

I have a Samsung HLP4663W, which you can get for less than $2000, the 50, 56, and 61 models would be more, but the TV is great. Of course it's my first HD set but I am very pleased. The HD picture is great and the SD picture is not bad.

Note any size limitations you might have for installation then go to BestBuy, Circuit City, etc. and do as much comparing as you can. I have a Samsung 50" DLP and am very happy with it, but some people see "rainbows" with DLP sets and some are bothered by "screen door" effects with LCD. CRT based displays can give a great picture and are the least expensive choice but you have to have a light controlled room and the viewing angle is fairly limited. Whatever you choose be sure to buy from a store with a liberal return/exchange policy. Good luck.

NightRyder

When are you looking to buy? As the new sonys at the end of the year with the SRDX engine their vsersion of LCOS will be out and they will be very hard to beat.

i am thinking about doing the power buy on avs forums for the new samsung 1080p. around 3500 for the 55 incher. i notice i can get a couple of the 720p panasonic or toshiba dlps for 2000 - 2500. since most providers will never give us full resolution (cross fingers for fios tv), i am thinking the 720p might be good enough.

i am looking to buy within the next two months.

korsjs said:
i am thinking about doing the power buy on avs forums for the new samsung 1080p. since most providers will never give us full resolution (cross fingers for fios tv), i am thinking the 720p might be good enough.

i am looking to buy within the next two months.
Depends entirely on your viewing distance. True, we will never receive 1080p OTA (maybe via HDDVD), but the upconversion is worth it if you sit close to your set.

i posted something yesterday, but due to the server outage it is gone.

anyway. i don't think i will be able to go with anything larger than a 55incher. the 60 inches i was looking at will not fit where i want to put it.

You know, with home electronics, there is always going to be something better just a few months away. If you get stuck in that cycle you'll never buy anything. If your ready now, do your research, compare, make a choice, then buy and enjoy. :)

Just my 2 cents.

NightRyder

So you are going with flat panel because of limited size? i would recommend saving about $300 - $500 and go with a FPTV. You will achieve the the same (in many cases better) resolution and picture AND then when you can go bigger it will do it all the way up to 200+ glorious inches with buying another TV.

not going flat bannel. not enough bang for the money for me. i would rather save and go with the dlp or lcd 52 - 56 incher. i have a few in mind that i will be checking out this weekend.

OK, i was going to recommend the Sanyo PLV-Z3 projector. It is an industry leader and multi-award winner, but a much larger picture than your specs, although its taks up less than 1 (yes, thats 1) square foot of ceiling space and you can easily adjust the screen between 50" - 200".

I got mine, with a Da-Lite High-Contrast deluxe screen, for $2400 - shipped!

Front projectors are great if....You have a dedicated H/T room or have complete control over ambient room light. In many, if not most situations, including my own, it's not workable. I have a ton of ambient light (wall opposite my TV is all windows, floor to ceiling) my DLP RPTV shines (literally :D ) in this type of environment (better than my 32" direct view set did).

NightRyder

I have neither a dedicated H/T room and I have 6 windows and was able to control the light to perfection with about $75 worth of quality curtains. If you get a FPTV with in the correct contrast ratio and ANSE lumens range, along with the proper screen for your environment, you will have no problems. It just takes a touch of patience and research and you are good to go with the best bang for the buck you can get right now.

Ya know...whatever makes you happy. I have seen many FP setups and have yet to see one that doesn't look like sh*t in a brightly lit room. Maybe the right combination of projector and screen would work, I don't know, for me that's just one less thing to hassle with. Perceived value aside, there are reasons FP make up a tiny fraction of the HD market and it doesn't seem korsjs is interested in that type of setup anyway.

NightRyder

I'll leave it with this: if people were provided with the correct and complete research and info, and weren't always herded to the easiest methods, a lot of popular products would be dead, or at a minimum they would not capture as much of the market. People here in the US are always in a quest for cheap and/or easy, not better.

IMHO of this area, H/T is a passion, and that passion leads me to the best research, not the quickest, or easiest, but the highest quality in my price range. For what its worth, you have read my cost beat out his top dollar, but to add it took me and a buddy all of 2 days from start to finish to have everything 100% perfect.

I will grant you this, in most places you can't drive down to your local consumer electronics cheap box and walk out with these high end devices, and that is a major reason why these are a small percentage of the market, along with the PERCEPTION that they are far more expensive and far more trouble, when that just is not true.

I'll leave it with these. As I started out by saying "Fp are great" but one size does not fit all. Just because someone makes a different choice does not make it inferior to yours. Limited availability and time consuming configuration does not automatically mean better.

Finally, arrogance is a poor foundation to build a argument on...ie. Assuming someone didn't research or take time to become educated on the available options, maybe in the end, they just reached a different conclusion

NightRyder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)